20% increase in sale tax?

Justme2

I heard some foolishness on the radio today about a new law on the ballot about a 20% increase on sale tax. Any body got any kind of input about this?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Every registered voter got a sample ballot that has 2 MD law changes to vote on.
I have not heard anything about 20% sales tax increases.

bcp

In My Opinion
there is no question about a 20% sales tax increase in the sample ballot.

If this was heard somewhere, chances are that it is a last effort to sway voters one way or the other. Close enough to elections to cause concern, too close to sort out the facts.

willie

MOM raised it from 5% to 6%. What does that equal?

O'mally's blast against Ehrlich also says Ehrlich raised property tax, when was that? The most raise in property tax I ever got was this year and that was a whopper.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

O'mally's blast against Ehrlich also says Ehrlich raised property tax, when was that? The most raise in property tax I ever got was this year and that was a whopper.

Isn't property tax determined at the county level?

Silver301

Cool Dude
I heard some foolishness on the radio today about a new law on the ballot about a 20% increase on sale tax. Any body got any kind of input about this?

I heard that sales tax is being hiked to 50%, income tax to 90%, property tax to 40%....and they're gonna take our guns!

:popcorn:

Silver301

Cool Dude

Yes. But I believe the claim made by O'Malley is that property tax increased significantly when Ehrlich was governor...I don't think he actually says that Ehrlich is to blame, although it is certainly and untruthfully implied.

I hate politicians.

willie

The problem was with the Homestead deduction so the County passed the buck to the State. The State lady showed me how they gradually eliminate the deduction as the assessed value of your home goes down so I owe an extra $700. I went to two more of the State math wizards and got the same result. I didn't get a kiss but they were all sympathetic.

Katt

If the state sales tax was 5% and was raised a penny to 6%, that's a 20% increase. The Dems try to understate that by claiming it's a penny, but that's the difference with Reps. we see the reals story of 20% increase.

Also, I love how O'Malley claims he hadn't raised college tuition in the last 4 years, but I've had kids in college for the past 7 years and believe me, tuition in MD colleges has increased almost every year!

I wish Marylanders would wake up, and open their eyes to our state being one of the highest taxed states in the country! And for what, O'Malley's spending!?

Put the slot machines in the race tracks and not in the malls and lets see how education funding will increase and we'll save the MD horse industry at the same time.
JMHO, but I'm sticking with it. :buddies:

The state property tax rate did increase significantly in Ehrlich's first year, but I don't how the process works at the state level, so I'm not sure how much Ehrlich had to do with that. That rate also came back down some in his last year. That state rate has remained at that same level throughout O'Malley's term.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Stop complaining, the money is needed to support the entitlement voter sheep and the $1.2+ Billion needed to support all the illegal alien state sponsored programs! :coffee:

The state property tax rate did increase significantly in Ehrlich's first year, but I don't how the process works at the state level, so I'm not sure how much Ehrlich had to do with that. That rate also came back down some in his last year. That state rate has remained at that same level throughout O'Malley's term.

The state property tax is levied tp pay the interest and principal on state bonds. All properties pay a property tax at the state and local levels. The state property tax is set by the State Board of Public Works. The local rateis set by the County Commissioners in the counties.

Ehrlich with the help of William Donald Schaefer raised the state property tax rate 4.8 cents per $100 dollar valuation in 2003. It stayed thart way until 2006 (election year) when it was slightly reduced.

ltown81

Problem is the state has a structural budget deficit..a lot having to do with educational laws and commitments. So unless the economy is rocking, every year your writing a budget that is starting in the red.

A lot of the issue goes back to Paris Glendening and the democratic state legislature who passed the "Thronton Plan". The plan was designed to infuse cash ($1-2 Billion) into poor schools, a good chunk of which are obviously in Baltimore City where O'Malley was the mayor. The problem with the Thornon Plan was that there was no source of funding. Erhlich came to office and supported the plan, but only if it was funded with savings or new income. He wanted to fund it using revenue from legal slots and pushed for several years for that. However since the legeslature would not pass slots, Erhlich in turn never funded the Thronton plan. In Maryland, the legislature add items to a governors budget, they can only remove them. So if Erhlich did not include the funding, the legislature could not add it.

At the end of the day, Erhlich made the state budget work by not funding Thronton, and raising fees, some college costs and tolls. I have no issue with this, because people who use the service pay for it. Is it fair for someone who lives in Southern Maryland and may never use the Harbor Tunnel to pay higher taxes to maintain it?

Either way, when O'Malley was elected, he had a $2 Billion surplus. His first order of business was to fund the Thornton plan, which combined with the bad economy threw us into a $1 billion plus defict pretty much overnight. To make that work, rather than cut spending, he raised income and sales tax as much as he figured the state would bear. This included a millionaires tax which has pretty much backfired. Since it was enacted, the number of tax returns filed by millionaires has signifigantly dropped in Maryland as they either leave the state, or get taken under by the economy.

The tax increases were not enough however, as new spending, and the increasingly worse economy are still creating massive deficts. The slots plan that was passed is smaller, has high taxes, which make the less attractive for operators, and has been slow to roll out. Maryland has basically gotten through to this point the last few years with stimulus money.

I have no reason to believe that if relected, O'Malley, as a term limited governor, would not jack up every tax he can get his hands on to balance the budget. It is easier to tax people who have money than to make cuts to pet programs, or gasp education spending in an area where it may not be working. The state legislature obviously has never met a tax it did not like, so having a governor with the same plan is a perfect storm.

Last edited:

Vince

If the state sales tax was 5% and was raised a penny to 6%, that's a 20% increase. The Dems try to understate that by claiming it's a penny, but that's the difference with Reps. we see the reals story of 20% increase.

Also, I love how O'Malley claims he hadn't raised college tuition in the last 4 years, but I've had kids in college for the past 7 years and believe me, tuition in MD colleges has increased almost every year!

I wish Marylanders would wake up, and open their eyes to our state being one of the highest taxed states in the country! And for what, O'Malley's spending!?

Put the slot machines in the race tracks and not in the malls and lets see how education funding will increase and we'll save the MD horse industry at the same time.

JMHO, but I'm sticking with it. :buddies:
As far as Marylanders waking up, that'll never happen. They will vote O'Malley right back into office for another term of tax and spend.

I don't go to race tracks much, but gambling in Md might give us the extra revenue. Only O'Malley will spend it on BS and we'll never see a dime.

willie

As far as Marylanders waking up, that'll never happen. They will vote O'Malley right back into office for another term of tax and spend.

I don't go to race tracks much, but gambling in Md might give us the extra revenue. Only O'Malley will spend it on BS and we'll never see a dime.
That says it all. Unfortunately.