Respect for the Presidency

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Should Jon Stewart Have Called the President 'Dude?' - Speakeasy - WSJ

Stewart jokingly told the president, “You don’t want to use that phrase, dude.”

Was it disrespectful for Stewart to address the president using a term that’s more commonly exchanged between two college guys sharing a bong?

I have a problem with some entertainer calling our President "dude". Can you imagine a comedian addressing Ronald Reagan, or even George Bush, as "dude"? Or even getting a one-on-one with them in the first place?

Hey, Obama! Stop trying to be a celebrity and focus on being a President...dude!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I have much stronger words to use for the President than "dude". Having said that, I'd unlikely use it in front of him, on national television or of respect for the POSITION, and not out of respect for Obama.

I'd rather talk bad about him behind his back....you know, all two-faced like. :biggrin:

NCalif

Obama has brought the Presidency and the country down to "dude" status in a mere 2 years. Can't wait to see what the next 2 will be like...:eyebrow:

ftcret

I have a problem with some entertainer calling our President "dude". Can you imagine a comedian addressing Ronald Reagan, or even George Bush, as "dude"? Or even getting a one-on-one with them in the first place?

Hey, Obama! Stop trying to be a celebrity and focus on being a President...dude!

Actually Stewart called him "douche" but the feminine hygiene lobby objected to what was in their eyes a denigrating association with their products and demanded it be deleted or dubbed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have much stronger words to use for the President than "dude". Having said that, I'd unlikely use it in front of him, on national television or of respect for the POSITION, and not out of respect for Obama.

I'd rather talk bad about him behind his back....you know, all two-faced like. :biggrin:

x2. I have zero respect for Captain Zero..none. But I would, if ever face to face with him, say nothing disrepectfull and would even shake his hand.

Entirely out of respect for the highest office in my country and for no other reason.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

One would think that one of the following people would have told Mr. President that appearing on a comedy show was not the wisest move...
  • Deputy Director of Public Engagement $93,840 salary per year
  • Special Assistant to President & Deputy Associate Director of Public Engagement $61,200
  • Executive Assistant to Director of Public Engagement $45,000 (clearly not at fault -- lower end of totem pole)
  • Special Assistant to President & Director of Events & Protocol - $102,000
Of note: couldn't really find any other listings for "protocol" postitions other than one listed above -- but I might have missed one in the list of 269 White House employees. That would explain why this particular White House is so totally CLUELESS when it comes to protocol matters.

Also of note: found the following, but no other counterparts...
  • Director of African American Media $79,560
  • Director of Hispanic Media $78,000
(Where is the Italian American Media? the Irish American Media? the Native American Media? the German American Media?, etc., etc., etc. Seems a bit unequal here -- discrimination?)

You really ought to take a look through this list of White House employee positions and salaries, just don't do it right after you've eaten as it tends to make one rather nauseous --- 269 employees, at a total salary cost of $24,820,686.81 Good luck figuring out exactly what it is that they do, especially after you get done reading the excessively long job titles!

Average Salary by Employee Position | Socrata | Making Data Social (data based on 2010 Report to Congress on White HOuse Staff)

blacklabman

x2. I have zero respect for Captain Zero..none. But I would, if ever face to face with him, say nothing disrepectfull and would even shake his hand.

Entirely out of respect for the highest office in my country and for no other reason.

Reminds me of a paraphrased quote from "Band of Brothers". "You salute the office, not the man".

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Just shows you, take away all the talk and bluster that pays his salary, he too has no respect for the current President.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Obama has brought the Presidency and the country down to "dude" status in a mere 2 years.
No. Clinton was first. He made late-night appearances to present himself as a 'regular guy'.

I have zero respect for Captain Zero..none. But I would, if ever face to face with him, say nothing disrepectfull and would even shake his hand.
I would have to bite my tongue (hard) and struggle, but I suppose I could shake The Won's hand. He is the first president for whom I can safely attest, if he were making a public appearance somewhere, I would not go out of my way to catch a glimpse of him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would not put myself in a position to meet Beloved Leader face-to-face. But if circumstances didn't allow me to avoid him, I would be polite and respectful. And I would call him Mr. President.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
No. Clinton was first. He made late-night appearances to present himself as a 'regular guy'.

I would have to bite my tongue (hard) and struggle, but I suppose I could shake The Won's hand. He is the first president for whom I can safely attest, if he were making a public appearance somewhere, I would not go out of my way to catch a glimpse of him.

I would go out of my way to make every effort to avoid that location, lest I be put in the position below.

I would not put myself in a position to meet Beloved Leader face-to-face. But if circumstances didn't allow me to avoid him, I would be polite and respectful. And I would call him Mr. President.

I might be able to must up a polite, "sir", but that's the extent of it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Even Mad Magazine gets it..

Attachments

• Obama_mad-magazine-cover.jpg
    Obama_mad-magazine-cover.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 62

Christy

b*tch rocket

I guess he figures that since the casual approach to the Presidency worked for Clinton it might just work for him. Anyone remember Clinton on MTV being asked if he wore boxers or briefs?

ciwmj