• Against

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Can Not / Will Not Vote on this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
** Any errors are mine. Maybe we can be an early indicator of real results.

State Question 1
Should a constitutional convention be called for the purpose of changing the Maryland Constitution?

glhs837

Power with Control
The way I understood it, this amendment requires a constitutional convention every 20 years, whereas now, its only required upon a vote from the state congress, correct?

awpitt

Main Streeter
The way I understood it, this amendment requires a constitutional convention every 20 years, whereas now, its only required upon a vote from the state congress, correct?

No.

The current state constitution requires that the MD General Assembly to put this question on the ballot every 20 years asking the voters if they want a constitutional convention to be held. The last constitutional convention was in 1967.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

From the way I understand it...the MD constitution requires that the populace (that would be us peons) be asked every 20 years if they want a constitutional convention.

If the majority of us say "yes" any new MD constitution or change or amendment to it has to be submitted to the voters.

I think the implication is if we say "no" then they (elected officials) can make any change they want to the MD Constitution and don't have to tell us a thing.

awpitt

Main Streeter
From the way I understand it...the MD constitution requires that the populace (that would be us peons) be asked every 20 years if they want a constitutional convention.

If the majority of us say "yes" any new MD constitution or change or amendment to it has to be submitted to the voters.

I think the implication is if we say "no" then they (elected officials) can make any change they want to the MD Constitution and don't have to tell us a thing.

No.

Any proposed amendments to the MD Constitution, wether they come out of a convention or the General Assembly, have to be approved by the voters.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Ernie Bell had a letter to the editor in last week's County Times asking us to Vote NO. His last sentence was "If change to the document is in order then present it o Maryland voters in an amendment-by-amendment vote"

Online Reader for The County Times Newspaper - Serving St. Mary's County, Maryland

I vote NO

Ernie is right. We should use the amendment-by-amendment process, which allows each amendment to stand on its own for a vote. Even if a convention were called and a new constitution was written, it still has to go to the voters for an up-or-down vote.

I voted NO on question one.