• Against

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Can Not / Will Not Vote on This

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
** Any errors are mine. Maybe we can be an early indicator of real results.

State Question 3
Requires judges of the Orphan's Court in Baltimore City to be members in good standing of the Maryland Bar who are admitted to practice law in Maryland

** Any errors are mine. Maybe we can be an early indicator of real results.

State Question 3
Requires judges of the Orphan's Court in Baltimore City to be members in good standing of the Maryland Bar who are admitted to practice law in Maryland

Isn't this question basically asking if you want the Judges of the Orphan's court in Baltimore City have to be lawyers?? According to the Maryland Orphans' Court Website :
"Maryland’s Constitution requires Orphans’ Court judges to be Maryland citizens and residents of their jurisdiction for at least 12 months before their election, but the state Constitution does not require Orphans’ Court judges to be lawyers. "

Maryland Orphans' Court
(not sure how to do links here)

Why would we want them to be lawyers??

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Isn't this question basically asking if you want the Judges of the Orphan's court in Baltimore City have to be lawyers?? According to the Maryland Orphans' Court Website :
"Maryland’s Constitution requires Orphans’ Court judges to be Maryland citizens and residents of their jurisdiction for at least 12 months before their election, but the state Constitution does not require Orphans’ Court judges to be lawyers. "

Maryland Orphans' Court
(not sure how to do links here)

Why would we want them to be lawyers??

That's exactly what it says. They want them to be lawyers and in good standing with the MD Bar Association...that means fees and dues and catering to a special interest lobbying group (lawyers) in my opinion.

That's exactly what it says. They want them to be lawyers and in good standing with the MD Bar Association...that means fees and dues and catering to a special interest lobbying group (lawyers) in my opinion.

That was my understanding and I feel as if the question is intentionally misleading... I researched a little further after my first response and found that the intent is to eventually make this a requirement for all counties... I vote NO...

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
That was my understanding and I feel as if the question is intentionally misleading... I researched a little further after my first response and found that the intent is to eventually make this a requirement for all counties... I vote NO...

Good for you for researching, I hope more people do the same.

It's not in child's best interest to have a judge who's a lawyer. It's in child's best interest to have a judge that cares about the welfare of the child.

awpitt

Main Streeter

I voted NO on this one.