County Commissioner races

Pete

Repete
Can someone explain to me why in ST Mary's that the County Commissioners for each district are voted on by the whole county?

It doesn't make sense to me for someone in Piney Point voting for the county commissioner who represents Hollywood and vice versa.

I can see the County Commission President being an at large position but it seems to me each district in the county should choose their own commissioner.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Can someone explain to me why in ST Mary's that the County Commissioners for each district are voted on by the whole county?

It doesn't make sense to me for someone in Piney Point voting for the county commissioner who represents Hollywood and vice versa.

I can see the County Commission President being an at large position but it seems to me each district in the county should choose their own commissioner.

All commisioners are vote on at-large. They don't "represent" a district in the same was a member of the legislature does. The districts are set up just to make sure the BOCC is made up of people from all parts of the county.

Pete

Repete
All commisioners are vote on at-large. They don't "represent" a district in the same was a member of the legislature does. The districts are set up just to make sure the BOCC is made up of people from all parts of the county.

But wouldn't it make sense for each district to elect its own member? Each area of the county would still be represented. This would allow District 2 people to elect the person they want and not have other districts pick someone else.

awpitt

Main Streeter
But wouldn't it make sense for each district to elect its own member? Each area of the county would still be represented. This would allow District 2 people to elect the person they want and not have other districts pick someone else.

Yes it would and that is the way it's done in counties that have charter govt. Those counties have a County Council and a County Executive. Each member of the County Council is elected from a district by the voters in that district.

JLS

Like Chasey said - they are "county" commissioners but honestly on top of that - it would be extremely hard for the Board of Elections to separate out each "district" for only certain people to vote for their district - I have worked in the election office helping out and a family member use to be the Director of the Board for St. Mary's and I know what all that office goes through in preparing for an election - they work 24/7 and 12-15 hour shifts everyday for months to prepare and to separate all that out would be extremely hard.. I get what ur saying but it'd be alot of work plus - like Chasey said - they are COUNTY commissioners ..

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Like Chasey said - they are "county" commissioners but honestly on top of that - it would be extremely hard for the Board of Elections to separate out each "district" for only certain people to vote for their district - I have worked in the election office helping out and a family member use to be the Director of the Board for St. Mary's and I know what all that office goes through in preparing for an election - they work 24/7 and 12-15 hour shifts everyday for months to prepare and to separate all that out would be extremely hard.. I get what ur saying but it'd be alot of work plus - like Chasey said - they are COUNTY commissioners ..

Well, now they have computer controlled ballots and voting. Why would someone work all those hours. They seem pretty simple to me and don't need alot of remedial training or maintenance. Problem is, are they reliable. Everyone I know didn't vote for Steny Hoyer... but he somehow got 64% of the district vote. Hmmmm.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
You must not know anyone in PG County then.

Actually, I do work with a few... not thousands. It just surprised me to see a 64% vote for him. I also watched a few of Lollar's support speeches. It sure looked like he was getting alot of support from all over. I guess that 40% made themselves look pretty big.