Non-payment of child support

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
My ex is about to be 3 months behind on his child support. Does anyone have any advice on who I should contact about this?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
MVA -- no kidding. I was in there last Friday and there was a sign that said they were suspending driver's licenses for non-payment of child support. Might be worth a call.

SxyPrincess

I contacted them before when my daughter's father was almost 8 months behind in support. They didn't do a thing, neither did anyone else I contacted. My advice is to get a good lawyer and let h/er take care of everything.

FIREMAN

Originally posted by pixiegirl
My ex is about to be 3 months behind on his child support. Does anyone have any advice on who I should contact about this?

I believe it's time to call lawyer and the police. I can understand a month, maybe times were ruff that month. But 3 is pushing it.

Let me know if you need anything....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Call the Support Collection Division of the county your agreement was signed in..I assume Charles. You can always call the atty. you used but $$$$. My recommendation would be to file a motion for contempt and then at the hearing ask that he pay through the court system. Yeah, it can be time consuming but when he's late you can get him back into court w/o having to pay and it's easier to garnish his wages. I know a lot about this stuff so we can talk Saturday or by e-mail if you'd like.

FIREMAN

Re: Re: Re: Non-payment of child support

Originally posted by jetmonkey

Yes, I need a new receiver for my Dish Network satellite system. My old one is starting to get balky.

Not a problem! I can understand your dilemma. :biggrin:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I already have an attorney but he is very expensive. The custody hearing that should have only cost me $500 has already cost me over $1000 and we're not even finished. We had a hearing before a "master" and support was set. He has not paid at all. We got back for a final hearing but no date has been set. I'll go through my lawyer if I have to but I'd rather explore other options first so it's not all in vain by having to pay the lawyer whatever I get.

On another note. I'm finally fed up with his harassment. There is nothing the cops can/will do. No matter how much he threatens me I won't be granted a restraining order because he hasn't beaten the cap out of me. I'm careful and protect myself and my son but does anyone have any ideas on any type of legal action I can take against him to stop him.

Jet, if Fireman gets you a new dish I get to come over and watch tv.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe it is my naiveté, but I thought that you could request a restraining order, even if you have not yet been physically harmed.

I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that in order for you to get one.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by RoseRed
Maybe it is my naiveté, but I thought that you could request a restraining order, even if you have not yet been physically harmed.

I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that in order for you to get one.

I did right after I first left him and he threatened to off with my son. He told me he would take him by any means necessary. I filed for it and went in front of a judge. The judge told me that unless he had asulted me they couldn't grant a restraining order.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by RoseRed
Geez, maybe you should try a female judge or one with a bit more compassion.

You wanna hear something that's really gonna make you puke? When the ex was first served his complaint for custody he was given 30 days to respond to it. Did he? Nope, pure laziness. So there was an order signed by a judge for him to be in default and not be able to give testimony since he apparently didn't care enough to even respond to the complaint for custody. I was entirely too nice when we finally went for our hearing 5 months after I originally filed and recieving no kind of support for my child and continuing to pay for the ex's health insurance because I couldn't take him off my policy. So I told my lawyer all I wanted was child support from that point forward and set visitation. My ex jumped on it and agreed. We went in front of a FEMALE master cheif. That dumb b!tch took pity on the ex gave him his chance to speak and another 30 days from that date to respond to the complaint for custody before he would be found in default. I thought I was going to die. I've been raising my son BY MYSELF and did everything right and legally, didn't go for backed child support and she still gave him another chance. Makes me want to puke. I've told my lawyer when we go back I want to be seen by a judge.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
All I can say is WOW! I hope I never end up in that situation. Best of luck to you.

watercolor

yeah yeah
http://www.dhr.state.md.us/csea/

ok. I found this site..and I am going to look into a couple more things to see what I can do. Keep checking back. Cause I will edit this when I find more on it. But so far here is this so far.

Here is some information for people in charles to contact

CRA

101 Catalpa Drive
La Plata, MD 20646

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 3065
La Plata, MD. 20646
FAX 301-932-3379

Leonard C. Collins, Jr.
State’s Attorney
301-932-3350

Elizabeth Theobalds
Office Supervisor/Asst. State’s Attorney
301-932-3355

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
here are some more of the people that they listed to contact.

Courthouse
P.O. Box 3000
LaPlata, MD. 20646

Hon. Helen Harrington
Hearing Master
301-932-3422

Joyce C. Grubman
Secretary/Court Room Clerk
301-932-3422

Donna Burch
Clerk of the Court
301-932-3202

P.O. Box 189
La Plata, MD. 20646

Frederick E. Davis
Sheriff
301-932-3059

I hope some of that helps. I was having a heck of a time with finding these numbers.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
A master cheif hears most of the cases that come through "family court" I'm not sure exactly what it is but in family court I think they're just as good as a judge. After the first hearing I was complaining to everyone and heard from several people that the particular master cheif we went before is a bleeding heart liberal and believes in giving dead-beat parents a "second chance".

We were planning on having his paychecks garnished but before the paperwork could all go through he lost his job.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Pixie, I was stupid with my ex, too, so I feel your pain...

If you go through OCSE (Office of Child Support Enforcement) you DO NOT have to go through the expense of hiring an attorney. However, their caseload is INCREDIBLE, so it'll generally take more time to get something accomplished. But at least you won't be losing whatever you get by paying it out in attorney's fees!

Most of the time, the court will take NO action UNLESS the payment is at least 90 days in arrears. When it DOES go to court, chances are they'll let him make monthly payments to pay off his arrears – and it's usually only about $25 (or less) per month in addition to the court-ordered child support. That means it'll take you nearly two years just to recoup $500 in back-support! So don't let it go too long...

Also when you get to court, be sure to ask for the wage withholding option so they can take it directly out of his paycheck. They can also intercept any tax refund and apply it towards back child support. The driver's license thing is usually a "last ditch" effort, used to bring in the ones who fail to respond to subpoenas to appear in court. If he's self-employed (like mine is) your options are somewhat limited because you can't garnish wages and they usually OWE taxes...

Good luck! PM me if you need more info!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I bent over and got prepared to take it up the arse and put a call in to my lawyer. He said it would probably be around $300 for him to file the papers and appear in court. Not too bad so I might just do that.

On a lighter note, now that Water has provided me w/ the phone number to the wonderful Master Harrington think I should call her and say "Good job giving my ex a second chance. He still hasn't paid any type of support. Oh and giving him another 30 days to respond to his original complaint for custody was 'SUPER' cause all it did was waste my time and money which I now have to give to my lawyer instead of being able to spend it on my son. Anway, I just wanted to let you know what a good job you're doing..."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
or.... write her a letter and cc the Letter's to the Editor section of the paper.