Mumbai fiasco...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...he's taking the entire navy, coconuts are being removed so as to alleviate a nut falling on him, this in addition to 3,000 mission critical personnel, an entire hotel, his own personal traffic jam and lord knows what else.

Is this becoming absurd or is this how Dubbya rolled as well?

ImnoMensa

...he's taking the entire navy, coconuts are being removed so as to alleviate a nut falling on him, this in addition to 3,000 mission critical personnel, an entire hotel, his own personal traffic jam and lord knows what else.

They jumped all over my ass for posting two threads about this trip last week Larry. You should know, you were there.

Starting to get to you is it?

Yes 34 warshilps including an Aircraft carrier.

200 top executives who will be looking at India to move their business's there.

Michelle will meet with the local Joy girls.

All at our expense.

Why ask how Dubya rolled, you are the local expert on him. You tell us.

Christy

b*tch rocket
There is always a large contingent that goes with any Presidential visit overseas, but this does seem a bit excessive.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why ask how Dubya rolled, you are the local expert on him. You tell us.

Well, I figured with the excess of Dubbya apologentsia we have around here, one of them, surely, would jump in and tell me he traveled light or, at the very least, that his excess was differenter and not as bad.

:lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
I wouldn't put the blame of excess on Obama though. I don't suspect he is sitting in his office dictating all of this. The coordination would be done through the various security services that organize these visits. A trip to India is vastly different than say, a trip to New Zealand. There are a lot more threats to take into consideration in India don't you think? I would wager to say that a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq would require less organization because it is a much more controlled environment. :shrug:

ImnoMensa

Well, I figured with the excess of Dubbya apologentsia we have around here, one of them, surely, would jump in and tell me he traveled light or, at the very least, that his excess was differenter and not as bad.

:lol:

So your posting this isn't really because you are abhorrent of the excess, but because you wish to point out that Bush was excessive too.?

May I ask if that was your point why call it a Fiasco?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So your posting this isn't really because you are abhorrent of the excess, but because you wish to point out that Bush was excessive too.?

Now you're just trying to start an argument because he didn't say that at all.

ImnoMensa

Now you're just trying to start an argument because he didn't say that at all.

No he didn't. What he proposed to say with this post is that this excess in this trip is so bad that even he is amazed and mortified.

But he couldn't say it without his BDS getting in the way.

I don't want an argument, all I want is truth,without the bashing for a change.

He is right this trip is a Fiasco, an expensive one when we dont have that kind of money to be pissing away.

Just say that and stop the damned BDS .

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No he didn't. What he proposed to say with this post is that this excess in this trip is so bad that even he is amazed and mortified.

But he couldn't say it without his BDS getting in the way.

I don't want an argument, all I want is truth,without the bashing for a change.

He is right this trip is a Fiasco, an expensive one when we dont have that kind of money to be pissing away.

Just say that and stop the damned BDS .

Not so. I didn't want to be bashing Obama for something other presidents basically do. And Bush, being the most recent one for comparisons sake, was a convenient starting point.

Thank you, Vrai.

ImnoMensa

Not so. I didn't want to be bashing Obama for something other presidents basically do. And Bush, being the most recent one for comparisons sake, was a convenient starting point.

Thank you, Vrai.

Ha ha ha, yeah well I knew when I posted I was wasting my tim

PsyOps

Pixelated

I don't think folks have the first clue about the logistics involved in preparing for and the travel of the POTUS. I can remember when Bush traveled somewhere overseas all the talk was about he had two planes that flew (one primary and one backup), another C-130 to pack Marine 1. Another jet for the press, secret service, security advisors, etc, etc… That doesn’t include all the secret service and other security personnel that have to go ahead of the trip and “clean” the place up: where he will stay, the places he will travel, the roads, airspace, etc…

In the interest of protecting the president, traveling is a huge undertaking. Securing 3 entire floors of a Hotel is not unusual. Every inch of each floor will be scoured for bugs, bombs, and any other threat. They will set up monitoring devices, every door and window will be secured. His travel routes will be swept and secured. I’m not even touching the tip.

I can remember all the criticism about Bush sitting in that classroom in FL when 911 hit. Everyone said he just sat there and did nothing. They don’t understand that he had to be taken out of there and put on AF1 out of schedule. The route he had to travel had to be swept clean to get him to the plane safely. They didn’t know if the terrorists knew where he was and was targeting him there; so they had to take time to make sure his route was safe before hauling him out of that school.

Nothing is easy with the president traveling and they don’t do anything unnecessary in ensuring his protection.

ImnoMensa

I don't think folks have the first clue about the logistics involved in preparing for and the travel of the POTUS. I can remember when Bush traveled somewhere overseas all the talk was about he had two planes that flew (one primary and one backup), another C-130 to pack Marine 1. Another jet for the press, secret service, security advisors, etc, etc… That doesn’t include all the secret service and other security personnel that have to go ahead of the trip and “clean” the place up: where he will stay, the places he will travel, the roads, airspace, etc…

In the interest of protecting the president, traveling is a huge undertaking. Securing 3 entire floors of a Hotel is not unusual. Every inch of each floor will be scoured for bugs, bombs, and any other threat. They will set up monitoring devices, every door and window will be secured. His travel routes will be swept and secured. I’m not even touching the tip.

I can remember all the criticism about Bush sitting in that classroom in FL when 911 hit. Everyone said he just sat there and did nothing. They don’t understand that he had to be taken out of there and put on AF1 out of schedule. The route he had to travel had to be swept clean to get him to the plane safely. They didn’t know if the terrorists knew where he was and was targeting him there; so they had to take time to make sure his route was safe before hauling him out of that school.

Nothing is easy with the president traveling and they don’t do anything unnecessary in ensuring his protection.

Maybe with all that cost and all that expense, and all that trouble and all of the debt we already have they should STF home./

Now wouldn't that be a novel idea.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Maybe with all that cost and all that expense, and all that trouble and all of the debt we already have they should STF home./

:yeahthat:

But, but, but we can't have His Majesty tied down like that.:sarcasm:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Right but, like picking his nose on TV, Obama, any president, is aware of public percpetion outside the norm. I mean, they are politicians!

I was thinking if I was Obama's 'politics' guy, I would have had him announce that his innauguration, befitting the times, would have been a reserved affair, costing less than the last one.

And, a billion per 5 days, man, how can you NOT see how that looks on this trip.

awpitt

Main Streeter
No one has said how they came up with that $200mil per day figure nor who makes up the 3,000 people who are going with. The 200 CEOs, how are they getting there? Who's paying their way? Some one (we don't know who) put out that dollar figure and everyone is taking it as fact. Based on what? A lot with this trip, as we've been told, seems accessive. That's why some of it is hard to take as fact without more specifics and credable sources.

Obama is taking three jumbo jets on this trip. That's a bit much especially since President Bush traveled with only....... Oops.

Bush has a back-up or two for his jumbo - World - NZ Herald News

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Sounds to me like it would have been cheaper to bring them all here and spread the cash around! Or get Dumbo ears up on a VTC!

BernieP

Resident PIA

Not practical. Being selective is the best you can hope for.

National Geographic Channel did a couple of shows onboard Air Force One and Marine One. It touched on the complex operation it is to just lift the President to say New York to address the UN.

It's POTUS, the "leader of the free world" etc, he can stay home all the time.

awpitt

Main Streeter
This story has spread rapidly among the president’s critics, but there is simply no evidence to support it. And common sense should lead anyone to doubt it. For example, the entire U.S. war effort in Afghanistan currently costs less than that — about $5.7 billion per month, according to the Congressional Research Service, or roughly $190 million per day. How could a peaceful state visit cost more than a war?
What else can you get for $200 million? Try the New Jersey Nets basketball team or possibly the Hope diamond — if only the Smithsonian were selling it.
The hard-to-swallow claim originated with a Nov. 2 Press Trust of India article quoting an unnamed "top official" in the government of Maharashtra (one of India’s states). The source was quoted as saying that Obama’s upcoming trip to Mumbai will cost $200 million per day for security and living arrangements, among other things. The story claimed that the president would be accompanied by about 3,000 people, including Secret Service agents, government officials and journalists, and will stay at the Taj Mahal Hotel — the scene of a 2008 terrorist attack.
We find stories based on anonymous sources always deserve special caution, especially when they come from only one news organization. In this case, the anonymous official is not even in the U.S. government, and any information about costs would necessarily have come second-hand at best, an added reason for caution.

Trip to Mumbai | FactCheck.org

ImnoMensa

FactCheck.org is a LEFT-BIASED organization that has sold itself as “Politically NEUTRAL” to America’s voters and media personnel.

The fact is, the ANNENBERG Public Policy Center (APPC), the sponsoring agency behind FactCheck.org, is itself supported by the same foundation, the ANNENBERG FOUNDATION, that Bill Ayers secured the 49.2 million dollars from to create the Chicago ANNENBERG Challenge “philanthropic” organization in which Barack Obama was the founding Chairman of the Board for and Ayers served as the grant writer of and co-Chair of for its two operating arms