Children's Hospital

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not sure if we've ever had a good experience here, and here's another chapter to add to the book.

Took the day off to bring her up here for a procedure to find out what's causing her pancreatitis episodes.. They tell us to be here by 2 for a procedure that should take place sometime around 5.

We got here at 1.. and waited.. and waited.. around 5 becomes, between 5 and 7... then becomes.. sometime around 8.. then, when he gets done seeing patients across the street he'll be here to do the procedure.. than at 9:30.. we've been trying to get a hold of Dr. XXXXX for hours.. we finally found him at home, and he had no idea he had a surgery scheduled for tonight.

It taking a hospital HOURS to contact one of their doctors has me somewhat concerned, that he didn't even know has me more concerned. Everyone here knew, the OR had been scheduled under his name (at least that's what we are being told), though I SWEAR one of the doctors slipped and said they called and the OR hadn't been scheduled.

So we wasted a day. It amazes me that a hospital can and DOES business like this. Nobody talking to anyone else, and just assuming that everyone else knows what is going on. No reminder phone calls, no verifications between doctor and staff.. nothing. And here we sit.. with a scared brokenhearted daughter..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I want to go off on somebody, I REALLY do.. I want to jump up and down and scream and yell at someone..

Then, who gets to suffer my wrath? The poors Nurse or Tech that had absolutely nothing to do with any of the screw up.. No more fair to them to suffer my wrath than for us to suffer through this bull####..

Sit here we must.. and wallow in our anger and frustration..

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I am sorry. Hospitals suck..doctors suck...the whole system needs fixing and I'm not sure how that will be accomplished.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not sure if we've ever had a good experience here, and here's another chapter to add to the book.

Took the day off to bring her up here for a procedure to find out what's causing her pancreatitis episodes.. They tell us to be here by 2 for a procedure that should take place sometime around 5.

We got here at 1.. and waited.. and waited.. around 5 becomes, between 5 and 7... then becomes.. sometime around 8.. then, when he gets done seeing patients across the street he'll be here to do the procedure.. than at 9:30.. we've been trying to get a hold of Dr. XXXXX for hours.. we finally found him at home, and he had no idea he had a surgery scheduled for tonight.

It taking a hospital HOURS to contact one of their doctors has me somewhat concerned, that he didn't even know has me more concerned. Everyone here knew, the OR had been scheduled under his name (at least that's what we are being told), though I SWEAR one of the doctors slipped and said they called and the OR hadn't been scheduled.

So we wasted a day. It amazes me that a hospital can and DOES business like this. Nobody talking to anyone else, and just assuming that everyone else knows what is going on. No reminder phone calls, no verifications between doctor and staff.. nothing. And here we sit.. with a scared brokenhearted daughter..

And scared/concerned Mom & Dad, too; I'm guessing :huggy:

UFB. Yet you show up late for your scheduled appointment and see what happens. What the hell do you do now? Can they get her scheduled in anytime soon? Pancreatitis is nothing to mess with... UFB

Hang in there, itsbob and itsbobette... :huggy:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I want to go off on somebody, I REALLY do.. I want to jump up and down and scream and yell at someone..

Then, who gets to suffer my wrath? The poors Nurse or Tech that had absolutely nothing to do with any of the screw up.. No more fair to them to suffer my wrath than for us to suffer through this bull####..

:huggy: I'm sorry - what a PITA. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and it will all work out. Does she at least get to eat?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:huggy: I'm sorry - what a PITA. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and it will all work out. Does she at least get to eat?

This is the second time they've done this to her too..

They wait until 8:30, 9:00 to tell her.. "YOU CAN EAT NOW!" followed by.. "But our kitchens are all closed, and we didn't order you a meal"

Again.. we've been in "premier" hospitals before and they ALL had 24 hour cafeteria/ restaurants. Even Walter Reed had a 24 hour cafeteria.

So after fasting for 23 hours, they did it to her again.. 9:20 they tell us all of the above followed by.. "At least you can eat now......... *insert pause here* ... but we don't have anything for you to eat!"

itsbob

I bowl overhand
UFB. Yet you show up late for your scheduled appointment and see what happens. What the hell do you do now? Can they get her scheduled in anytime soon? Pancreatitis is nothing to mess with... UFB

Hang in there, itsbob and itsbobette... :huggy:

The doctor said (we didn't get to talk to him, this is from the staff here) that he will do her procedure tomorrow after hours.. after he gets done next door he'll come across and do her thing.. ... wait for it..

Sometime around 5 PM.. or maybe between 5 and 7.......... depending on how busy a day he has tomorrow.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This is the second time they've done this to her too..

They wait until 8:30, 9:00 to tell her.. "YOU CAN EAT NOW!" followed by.. "But our kitchens are all closed, and we didn't order you a meal"

Again.. we've been in "premier" hospitals before and they ALL had 24 hour cafeteria/ restaurants. Even Walter Reed had a 24 hour cafeteria.

So after fasting for 23 hours, they did it to her again.. 9:20 they tell us all of the above followed by.. "At least you can eat now......... *insert pause here* ... but we don't have anything for you to eat!"

:rolleyes: UFB.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The doctor said (we didn't get to talk to him, this is from the staff here) that he will do her procedure tomorrow after hours.. after he gets done next door he'll come across and do her thing.. ... wait for it..

Sometime around 5 PM.. or maybe between 5 and 7.......... depending on how busy a day he has tomorrow.

I hope you can take their word for what he will do. It might be a good idea to pack a cooler with some food just in case...

woogie

When you go back, go STRAIGHT to the Hospital Administrator's office
and vent to him/her! THEY are the ones who can bring pressure to
bear on this guy! Especially if he has done this before! The other poster
is correct! Pancreatic problems are SERIOUS and should NOT be brushed
aside!

Also talk to your MD who referred you to CH. He might be able to help
you with this as well. After all, your daughter is his patient!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think tomorrow I need to put on my Project Manager hat, and start a checklist.. (I like checklists)..

OR scheduled.. CHECK

Staff Knows OR is scheduled... CHECK

What TIME is the OR scheduled.. CHECK

Does the Doctor know the OR is scheduled.. CHECK.

DOes the doctor know he's scheduled.... CHECK..

Does he know WHERE he's scheduled CHECK.

DOes the doctor know what he's scheduled to do.. CHECK..

Has the staff checked with his staff to make sure he doesn't have anything else scheduled.. CHECK..

Then I'll send them a bill for my time.

onebdzee

off the shelf

You need another doctor....Johns Hopkins is the same distance away and I'm sure their doctors are just as good

I've been to Childrens' once with zman and found the place very unorganized

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You need another doctor....Johns Hopkins is the same distance away and I'm sure their doctors are just as good

I've been to Childrens' once with zman and found the place very unorganized

Son went to JHU and we NEVER had issues like we have here.

I think from now on that is where we will be going.. but hoping after this trip we won't have to go ANYWHERE..

TurboK9

It's gotta suck to deal with that. With two kids of my own, I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster. I get all snarled up when I have to wait in the ER for an ear ache.

You need someone to go off on, maybe smack upside the head, I'm here for ya.

TurboK9

All the other forumites have wanted to slap you around. What's one more? :lol:

Well yeah, but ItsBob isn't just being a mean little prick. He has a good reason that I can identify with!!

Shame on the rest of you! Shame! :lmao: