The Great Uniter...

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
... speaks again.

Followed by the politics of home, President Barack Obama on Sunday acknowledged that he must make some "midcourse corrections" if he is to win over a frustrated electorate and work with resurgent Republicans.
:lmao: Right. How many are biting?

SamSpade

I can't grasp the liberal mind. Ever since the days of Clinton I cannot grasp how massive spending in infrastructure and education is called "investment". They're constantly coming up with new things to call "spending".

To me, unless you can show return on investment, it's like the unemployed guy who insists that spending money on a new wardrobe, manicure and haircut is "investment". Until he gets a job, it's just digging a hole.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
So. THE WON surrounds himself with intellectuals and aschews the merely smart in his administration. And he wonders why the public doesn't understand all the wonderful things he has done for them in the past 20 months or so.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I can't grasp the liberal mind. Ever since the days of Clinton I cannot grasp how massive spending in infrastructure and education is called "investment". They're constantly coming up with new things to call "spending".

To me, unless you can show return on investment, it's like the unemployed guy who insists that spending money on a new wardrobe, manicure and haircut is "investment". Until he gets a job, it's just digging a hole.
Your looking at it from the viewpoint of an already developed country. Looking at it from an underdeveloped countries standpoint, infrastructure can be a great investment. Have you watched that show IRT deadliest roads? I'd bet spending some cash on making their roads survivable would go a long way towards that countries profitability.

SamSpade

I'd bet spending some cash on making their roads survivable would go a long way towards that countries profitability.

As a general rule, I think the burden of developing infrastructure should fall on those most likely to profit from it, either in the form of tolls, taxes or what have you.

I'm definitely against the idea of the federal government jumping in and funding infrastructure for big cities. Cities have their own budgets - if New York wants a new bridge, they don't get to charge the rest of the country for a bridge they will use. When cities fail to plan to improve their infrastructure, it's because they've known about it for years but neglected it because the bridge hadn't fallen down yet or the levees hadn't collapsed yet.

It's like trying to be sympathetic to someone who has failed to keep up with his car's maintenance and is facing a car breakdown. I feel no sympathy for cities who have let their infrastructure crumble while they wasted money on pork and wasteful projects.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
As a general rule, I think the burden of developing infrastructure should fall on those most likely to profit from it, either in the form of tolls, taxes or what have you.

I'm definitely against the idea of the federal government jumping in and funding infrastructure for big cities. Cities have their own budgets - if New York wants a new bridge, they don't get to charge the rest of the country for a bridge they will use. When cities fail to plan to improve their infrastructure, it's because they've known about it for years but neglected it because the bridge hadn't fallen down yet or the levees hadn't collapsed yet.

It's like trying to be sympathetic to someone who has failed to keep up with his car's maintenance and is facing a car breakdown. I feel no sympathy for cities who have let their infrastructure crumble while they wasted money on pork and wasteful projects.
I can agree with you on the local level, but when it comes to the really major projects (i.e. interstates) then I believe that's where the feds role comes in.

ImnoMensa

So. THE WON surrounds himself with intellectuals and aschews the merely smart in his administration. And he wonders why the public doesn't understand all the wonderful things he has done for them in the past 20 months or so.

Intellectuals?? I haven't seen an intellectual in the bunch.

He assumes that he is an intellectual, I repeat, I haven't seen an intellectual in the bunch.