Palin Quitting Is Like Kennedy's Chappaquiddick

E

EmptyTimCup

:shocking:

Mark Shields: Palin Quitting As Governor Is Like Kennedy's Chappaquiddick

PBS's Mark Shields on Friday said Sarah Palin's decision to resign as the governor of Alaska is "like Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick."

This astonishingly came moments after he called Nancy Pelosi the most effective House Speaker in his lifetime on the most recent installment of "Inside Washington" (video follows with transcript and commentary):

MARK SHIELDS, PBS: I will say this about Nancy Pelosi: the great CBS commentator Eric Sevareid said the boys run for high office to be something, the men run for high office to do something. I’ll change that to adolescents and grown-ups, and Nancy Pelosi, whatever anybody says about her, she has done, she has accomplished as Speaker, she has been a more effective Speaker than anybody in my lifetime. Forget, I mean, Newt, Newt Gingrich, nothing compared to her. This is a woman who rivals Tip O’Neill, Sam Rayburn, the great speakers of the House, but she became the face and the poster child to run against in 2010, and Republicans ran very effectively against her. And I think that is worth a study as to why she became such a lightning rod.​

Imagine that. Pelosi just suffered one of the biggest Congressional election defeats in history, and Shields is praising her like she's a God.

To put the icing on the absurdity cake, Shields, when the subject of Palin came up, said:

She did have a pretty good night, and I certainly defend her, and anybody, endorsing a candidate not on the pragmatic grounds that they are going to win, but because you believe in their positions and don’t believe in her opponent's positions. That is why she presumably endorsed Christine O’Donnell against Mike Castle, a moderate to liberal Republican. But on the subject of Sarah Palin in 2012, one of the unspoken problems that she does have is her quitting as governor midway through her first term. It is like Ted Kennedy’s Chappaquiddick. It was not a problem among Democrats. It will be a problem when she runs for president because it is a higher threshold for the office.​

[eyeblast]hdSUkU6Uuz[/eyeblast]

:faint:

dude get you nose out of her crotch .........

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I have to say Pelosi is the most effective Speaker of my lifetime as well. :shrug: Of course, that brushes past the point of WHAT is she most effective. But we needn't worry about such particularities when we're applying Liberal logic.

ImnoMensa

I have to say Pelosi is the most effective Speaker of my lifetime as well. :shrug: Of course, that brushes past the point of WHAT is she most effective. But we needn't worry about such particularities when we're applying Liberal logic.

Nancy got a lot of things passed . All ot them bad. That is why the republicans will be in the Majority for the next two years.

Now if they only have the good sense to remember why they got the job.

SamSpade

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya:You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

What does he think Chappaquiddick means to anyone else? It certainly wasn't a career ender for Kennedy.

To a lot of us, it means that a powerful rich person can get away with, at the very least, criminal negligence or manslaughter and still have a successful career in politics. Palin was guilty of nothing even close.

I'm not seeing the connection.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Here, here.

If she wasn't so effective at passing legislation that worries people so deeply, she'd still be Speaker.

:shrug:

As for Palin, Mark could have made the point without trying to compare quitting a job to killing someone but, I think the point is right. I'm all for Palin running because I'd rather the GOP have congress than the WH.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya:You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

What does he think Chappaquiddick means to anyone else? It certainly wasn't a career ender for Kennedy.

To a lot of us, it means that a powerful rich person can get away with, at the very least, criminal negligence or manslaughter and still have a successful career in politics. Palin was guilty of nothing even close.

I'm not seeing the connection.

Kennedy+Chappaquiddick=Never President

Palin+Resigning = Never President

This is what I think he is trying to say, but it is an eff'd up analogy.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Palin+Resigning to run as VP nominee = Never President

Yeah, just to be more crass and, frankly, in keeping with Shields' thought process;

Palin + quitting as governor = never potus

RFK + Sirhan Sirhan = never potus

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Palin+Resigning to run as VP nominee = Never President
She didn't resign during the campaign. It was July last year, because of all the legal stuff going on (unless one is a conspiracist and believes she bailed).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Palin+Resigning = Never President

That was my guess too..but that is worse than a weak analogy. Kennedy drove a car off a bridge while drunk and the woman passenger was drowned. However..it was what Kennedy did over the next hours and days afterward that haunted him forever: he displayed a lack of character..a lack of gumption..he was deceitful...he displayed cowardice..he ran from responsiblity...he was very hesitant and indecisive. In other words..he showed every trait that we do NOT want in a president.

Or at least not until recently anyway; we did elect Captain Zero so I guess the old standards no longer apply. But I digress.:whistle:

Palin simply resigned before her term was up. If she gave a compelling reason for doing so then I have not heard it..but regardles, simply quitting a job bears no resemblance whatsoever..not the slightest bit..to Kennedy's actions at Chappaquidick.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
She didn't resign during the campaign. It was July last year, because of all the legal stuff going on (unless one is a conspiracist and believes she bailed).

She resigned because she quit. Was it the right thing to do for Alaska? For her? For her political future? Maybe. Maybe not. Bottom line, she quit and there is no getting around that.

:buddies: