Did you know; 1,000's of miners die...

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Maybe Kentucky is in China
Free Frank Warner: U.S. coal mining deaths: 1990-2009

Mining is one of the deadliest occupations one can have, and not one I'd ever choose.

As I think about it, miners truly do die at a higher rate than the rest of the US population due to illnesses caused by occupational hazards. Illnesses such as black lung aka pneumoconiosis, Miners' Nystagmus, cancer and more...

Also, I hate to say it, but miners tend to become addicted to drugs such as oxycontin, mainly due to the chronic pain they experience. As a result, many mining towns have methadone clinics.

Perhaps thousands of miners do die each year in Kentucky, just not because of an explosion or mine collapse. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perhaps thousands of miners do die each year in Kentucky, just not because of an explosion or mine collapse. :shrug:

If that is the criteria, then 1,000's of (insert group here______________) are dying in Kentuck, and Maryland and every other state in the union, each year.

Considering your link shows 18 nationwide in 2009 and considering Katrina is a bit...flexible...with her points to begin with, I'm thinking she is more interested in sizzle than steak.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If that is the criteria, then 1,000's of (insert group here______________) are dying in Kentuck, and Maryland and every other state in the union, each year.

Considering your link shows 18 nationwide in 2009 and considering Katrina is a bit...flexible...with her points to begin with, I'm thinking she is more interested in sizzle than steak.

The link shows on the job deaths. :shrug:

I think it would be quite telling to see the death rate off the job.

I did a quick search and found that it is estimated that Black Lung disease alone affects 2.8 percent of coal miners. I also found that there are over 70,000 current coal miners in KY. That means that roughly 1,900 miners have it. And that is just figuring the numbers of people who are working.

Black Lung: Dust hasn't settled on deadly disease

MSHA - Focus On - Control the Dust - Prevent Black Lung

ImnoMensa

...every year in Kentucky?

Indecision 2010 - Katrina vanden Heuvel - The Colbert Report - 11/2/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Katrina sez so.

Not a slip or a fumbled word. Not an out of context. This woman says, clearly, 1,000's of miners die, every year, in Kentucky.

I honestly thinks she believes that.

How can you tell what she believes? She speaks, but it is nonsensical.
I always thought I had a good sense of humor, but I saw nothing in that show that was the least bit funny. It was petty and cheap shots. A bit like Rossignols cheap shots in the rag. Nothing funny.

bcp

In My Opinion
I think the biggest factor in deaths would be breathing.
Everyone that has ever died, had the habit of breathing prior to their death.

something needs to be done.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I think the biggest factor in deaths would be breathing.
Everyone that has ever died, had the habit of breathing prior to their death.

something needs to be done.

That and going to the bathroom. I think everyone I every knew the died went to the bathroom on a regular basis. I see an investigation looming.