Help - Stinky Well Water

popsicle

When we built our house 6 years ago we paid extra to have the well dug deeper so that we would not have the smell in the water that the other people on our street have.

Everything was great until about a week ago, now the water stinks.

What can I do about it? It's driving me crazy already.

TIA

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It may not be your well... it could be your water heater. :shrug:

What does it smell like? rotten eggs?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
When you flush the toilet, blame the smell on the sulfur.

Desertrat knows about chlorination. I would rather have the sulfur.

Well water!

BCP knows somebody who can evaluate the situation for you. I prefer sulfur to spending extra money.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Yep - Rotten Eggs!

Sulfur in the water. It's smelly, no doubt. PM bcp. His sister works in the water filtration business.

We installed a new water heater two months ago. Rotten egg smell was gone. I always thought it was the old water heater. NOT! The smell is back and I kind of missed it. :crazy:

ginwoman

When we built our house 6 years ago we paid extra to have the well dug deeper so that we would not have the smell in the water that the other people on our street have.

Everything was great until about a week ago, now the water stinks.

What can I do about it? It's driving me crazy already.

TIA

Well that just stinks (no pun intended). My parents have a artesian well and have the same stinky rotten egg problem.

Homer J

Power Chord
Turn the water heater up to about 160* for a couple days. It will kill the bacteria that causes the smell, then turn it back down. Just be very careful using the hot water while it's at 160*.

Hot water burn baby!!!

bcp

In My Opinion
Turn the water heater up to about 160* for a couple days. It will kill the bacteria that causes the smell, then turn it back down. Just be very careful using the hot water while it's at 160*.

Hot water burn baby!!!

not always hot water and not always bacteria.
sometimes its best to get it checked by someone that actually knows how.

When you flush the toilet, blame the smell on the sulfur.

Desertrat knows about chlorination. I would rather have the sulfur.

Well water!

BCP knows somebody who can evaluate the situation for you. I prefer sulfur to spending extra money.

Well, my chlorine smell is gone and the sulfur smell back stronger than ever.

latinamomma

Transam's wife
Call Culligan...we have/had the same problem until we called them. Fixed it and our water no longer smells like rotten eggs!

1badsilverado

1badsilverado
I had a stinky water problem one time. I changed the anoroide rod in the water heater and it took care of the problem. Also cleaned out the bottom with a wet vac. They get a lot of hard water deposits built inside them that needs cleaned out once in a while. Got the rod from Thomas Somerville. Maybe $20 fix.