too young for spaying?????

D

dems4me

My cat had kittens and I have found responsible owners for all 5 kittens. They will ble 6 weeks on Saturday and I have 3 of them leaving on Saturday. (After they are all gone, I will spay the momma cat). Eitherway a friend of mine that is taking 3 of them has already scheduled them to get spayed and neutered on the 31st of January -- they will only be about 7 weeks old then.... I know most people are fanatics about "fixing" cats but these are still just babies. I see no harm in having them wait until they are at least a few months old. Any suggestions? Arn't their little bodies too young for such an invasive opreation??? Their little bodies are still growing. Any suggestions? My friend said that this is what their local Humane Society had set up at 7 weeks old and will receive shots when they are 12 weeks.:confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I believe kittens have to weigh 2 pounds to be spayed. Personally, I think it's too young..especially for the males. The males' urinary tracts need to develop fully. You can do a search on the internet to find out all the information you need. I know tricounty shelter has all their animals spaye/neutered before they are adopted...even the very young ones.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Somebody told me to wait until the kittens were six months old to have them fixed. I waited and had my just 6 month old female deliver a still-born kitten in the middle of the kitchen floor. :frown:

I went to The Lucky Ones website and they will spay/neuter at 8 weeks/2 pounds minimum.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SpayUSA says cats can have kittens at 5 months old and recommends neuter/spaying them by then.

D

dems4me

thanks for all the input. I'm sure the Humane Society must have thought my friend said 6 months -not 6 weeks. I mean really come to think about it - their nunads and ovaries are not developed yet they'd be clipping hairs on the male. I wasn't aware that it was 8 weeks, I thought it was 6. Also, what about the anethesia? Isn't 6 weeks WAY too young for that too?? Eitherway, y'all will be happy to know my friend is taking y'alls advice and waiting until they are a few months older. Thanks!!!:smile:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
thanks for all the input. I'm sure the Humane Society must have thought my friend said 6 months -not 6 weeks. I mean really come to think about it - their nunads and ovaries are not developed yet they'd be clipping hairs on the male. I wasn't aware that it was 8 weeks, I thought it was 6. Also, what about the anethesia? Isn't 6 weeks WAY too young for that too?? Eitherway, y'all will be happy to know my friend is taking y'alls advice and waiting until they are a few months older. Thanks!!!:smile:

As Appy said, it's a Maryland law that kittens/puppies remain with their mother until 8 weeks of age. I realize that you are a private party, but it's still best that they remain with their mother. If they are orphaned, a rescue organization or shelter isn't going to adopt them out until they are at least 8 weeks, so the spay/neuter issue is moot. It's not so much the age as the weight.

And you are getting your kitty spayed, right? :biggrin:

D

dems4me

Of course she will be spayed and I've arranged to wait two more weeks before handing over the kittens. My friends feelings are hurt, but they are the babies, she isn't right now.. ha ha. I was just surprised that the Humane Society would advocate getting them spayed at 6 weeks. There has got to be some kind of misunderstanding. Sorry to hear about your still born Jazz Lady.

Speaking of selling kittens - I am looking to purchase a hymilayn male kitten if anyone knows of any in the next few months.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
Speaking of selling kittens - I am looking to purchase a hymilayn male kitten if anyone knows of any in the next few months.

ooo-ooohhh Apppyy!!!!!

D

dems4me

Appy?? does Appy have any available? Do you have any available for sale Appy?

W

Wenchy

Himmy's!

Great site! My Himmy Gizmo looked just like Sweet Clementine. She passed four years ago:bawl: I have a huge painting of her above my fireplace. In the last two years I have adopted three domestic strays. I still want a Himmy though--I might have to come see you...I would definately want a female. Pet or breeder wouldn't matter. Hmmmmm let me see what DH says.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Speaking of Cats... I'd like to get my girlfriend a Siamese cat as a wedding gift, sometime this winter...

But.. I find it hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a cat when you can find so many non-Siamese cats for free.

Anybody know any who would breed their Siamese and give me a free kitten?

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by sleuth14
Speaking of Cats... I'd like to get my girlfriend a Siamese cat as a wedding gift, sometime this winter...

But.. I find it hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a cat when you can find so many non-Siamese cats for free.

Let me get this straight, you want to give your wife a "free" wedding gift? You tight bastard... Buy her the effing cat...:roflmao:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Sharon
Better yet...Sleuth keep checking the pound for your lost Siamese. :roflmao:
He could pull a "Focker" and find one that looks siamese and spraypaint it...:rolleyes:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by sleuth14

Hey squeaky......Siamese are awesome cats.....they have distinct personalities and are extremely smart......

Oh yea……and by the way….after the cat grows up, if you decide to get into an argument with your new wench, be sure to put the cat into the next room and close the door, it will more than likely shred whoever is the aggressor.