So my doggie got sick Wednesday...

Abc123

His poor cheeks were terribly swollen and he was whining and pacing. Kept coming up to us and nosing us as if to ask for help.
We googled and learned that we could give him Benadryl, so I gave him Childrens Benadryl according to his poundage, and rubbed Orajel on the inside of his cheeks.
The Benadryl helped the swelling to go down almost all the way, but his face was still splotchy looking and his eyes were a little watery.
This was all around midnight, so I couldn't take him to the vet right away. Throughout the night, he had diarrhea, and threw up a few times.
Called the vet and got him in ASAP the next day, and they said they thought he had ingested some type of toxin. Did 3 seperate X-rays, no foreign objects in his stomach. Put him on a strict diet for 4 days, and meds for a week. Double my car payment later, they let my baby come home.
Now this is my question. We are very careful in the house, keep all cleaning agents locked up, yes LOCKED. There is no way he got into anything in the house.
The only thing we can think of is that when we let him outside for potty breaks, he ate something from in the woods. Both of our dogs are trained to go to the woodline of our yard to go #2. He will go a few feet into the woods, and do his business. Like any dog, he noses around, and finds his perfect "spot" to do his business, but never takes long, and we would have noticed if he was eating something substantial.
Is it possible that he ate poison ivy or a spider or something? Does anyone know what would cause these symptoms?
I'm afraid to let him go outside without being right there beside him now. When we let him out previously, we have always stood on the deck and watched him, never let him out of sight. So it's not like he could have wondered away and eaten something somewhere else.
I feel terrible that he had to go through this, and was worried sick to my stomach. I just don't know WHAT could have done this.
We did a search in the woods to see if we could find the cause, nothing suspicious at all. I know acorns are poisonous for dogs, but he knows not to eat them. Other dog is perfectly fine. And they go potty together, side by side. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
His poor cheeks were terribly swollen and he was whining and pacing. Kept coming up to us and nosing us as if to ask for help. We googled and learned that we could give him Benadryl, so I gave him Childrens Benadryl according to his poundage, and rubbed Orajel on the inside of his cheeks. The Benadryl helped the swelling to go down almost all the way, but his face was still splotchy looking and his eyes were a little watery. This was all around midnight, so I couldn't take him to the vet right away. Throughtout the night, he had diarrhea, and threw up a few times. Called and got him in ASAP the next day, and they said they thought he had ingested some type of toxin. Did 3 seperate X-rays, no foreign objects in his stomach. Put him on a strict diet for 4 days, and meds for a week. Double my car payment later, they let my baby come home.
Now this is my question. We are very careful in the house, keep all cleaning agents locked up, yes LOCKED. There is no way he got into anything in the house. The only thing we can think of is that when we let him outside for potty breaks, he ate something from in the woods. Both of our dogs are trained to go to the woodline of our yard to go #2. He will go a few feet into the woods, and do his business. Like any dog, he noses around, and finds his perfect "spot" to do his business, but never takes long, and we would have noticed if he was eating something substantial. Is it possible that he ate poison ivy or a spider or something? Does anyone know what would cause these symptoms? I'm afraid to let him go outside without being right there beside him now. When we let him out previously, we have always stood on the deck and watched him, never let him out of sight. So it's not like he could have wondered away and eaten something somewhere else. I feel terrible that he had to go through this, and was worried sick to my stomach. I just don't know WHAT could have done this. We did a search in the woods to see if we could find the cause, nothing suspicious at all. I know acorns are poisonous for dogs, but he knows not to eat them. Other dog is perfectly fine. And they go potty together, side by side. Any ideas?
I'd like to read this but can't until you learn that paragraphs are your friend. :yay: :lol:

Cowgirl

Wow, glad he's doing ok. Who knows what it could have been. He didn't have any vaccines prior to getting sick?

Abc123

Nothing recently. Back in early September he had his rabies vaccine, but that was 2 months ago. He's been a perfectly healthy boy. He's fine now, but I'm scared to death that it may happen again.

Wow, glad he's doing ok. Who knows what it could have been. He didn't have any vaccines prior to getting sick?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
His poor cheeks were terribly swollen and he was whining and pacing. Kept coming up to us and nosing us as if to ask for help. We googled and learned that we could give him Benadryl, so I gave him Childrens Benadryl according to his poundage, and rubbed Orajel on the inside of his cheeks.

The Benadryl helped the swelling to go down almost all the way, but his face was still splotchy looking and his eyes were a little watery.
This was all around midnight, so I couldn't take him to the vet right away. Throughout the night, he had diarrhea, and threw up a few times.
Called the vet and got him in ASAP the next day, and they said they thought he had ingested some type of toxin. Did 3 seperate X-rays, no foreign objects in his stomach. Put him on a strict diet for 4 days, and meds for a week. Double my car payment later, they let my baby come home.

Now this is my question. (there's no actual question here but work with her) :lol: We are very careful in the house, keep all cleaning agents locked up, yes LOCKED. There is no way he got into anything in the house. The only thing we can think of is that when we let him outside for potty breaks, he ate something from in the woods. Both of our dogs are trained to go to the woodline of our yard to go #2. He will go a few feet into the woods, and do his business. Like any dog, he noses around, and finds his perfect "spot" to do his business, but never takes long, and we would have noticed if he was eating something substantial.

Is it possible that he ate poison ivy or a spider or something? Does anyone know what would cause these symptoms?

I'm afraid to let him go outside without being right there beside him now. When we let him out previously, we have always stood on the deck and watched him, never let him out of sight. So it's not like he could have wondered away and eaten something somewhere else. I feel terrible that he had to go through this, and was worried sick to my stomach. I just don't know WHAT could have done this.

We did a search in the woods to see if we could find the cause, nothing suspicious at all. I know acorns are poisonous for dogs, but he knows not to eat them. Other dog is perfectly fine. And they go potty together, side by side. Any ideas?
:fixed:
Don't ever let it be said that Mikey didn't help his forum buddies that failed elementary school english. :yay:

Abc123

Thank you very much for correcting my post~that was very sweet of you! :smoochy: BTW...I didn't fail any of my English classes...:flowers:

:fixed:
Don't ever let it be said that Mikey didn't help his forum buddies that failed elementary school english. :yay:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Sorry if my wording is not appropriate for you, Baja. I'm working on five things at once. Please excuse my lack of proper grammatical phrasing. Thank you very much in advance. :buddies:
You're welcome. You said the poisons are locked up. Is it possible he watched you hide the key and when you weren't home, grabbed it and had a party?

:killingme (i kill me)

stew77

Baja28 : you do not have to be gramatically correct to ask a question, to get help, get over it! don't be a D***!!! The person just wanted some help!!!

pumpkin0824

What kind of dog do you have? Our boxer got bit by a spider while on our deck and had the same symptoms. We took him to the vet and had him checked out and they gave him some medicine and he too stayed splotchy (sp?) on his face for a few days. It has only happened that one time thankfully and was an easy fix. I would venture to say he may of been bitten by a spider. Not sure how to make sure it doesnt happen again. We just check our deck to make sure there are no spider webs or spiders hanging around when we let him out there.
Our other boxer boy liked to chase and torment frogs (really he just wanted to sniff them and play with them) and after the first time he actually got really close to one of them his face became very red and a little swollen but it went down in a few hours.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Wow...I didn't see any mushrooms when I scoped everything out, but perhaps he ate them. :yikes:
I will definately check when I get home from work. Thanks so much for the link. :smoochy:
I'm still confused from the swollen cheeks. He looked like he had tumors in both jowls.

Mushrooms can be real tiny too. And he could have just licked them and had a reaction. My little girl did that and wound up costing me and arm and leg as well for treatment, but it could have been worse.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
So it was definitely ingestion and not a sting? Sounds a lot like a ground bee sting.

If ingested, I'm voting for the mushrooms.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Wow...I didn't see any mushrooms when I scoped everything out, but perhaps he ate them. :yikes:
I will definately check when I get home from work. Thanks so much for the link. :smoochy:
I'm still confused from the swollen cheeks. He looked like he had tumors in both jowls.

Probably ate a yellow jacket and got stung.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My Malamute ate a mushroom about a year ago. Acted like she was drunk. Very wobbley. She's over 100 lbs so the effect might not have been so severe as you stated. We check our yard routinely now for any that have popped up in the yard.