House Democrats keep Nancy Pelosi as their leader

Severa

Common sense ain't common
AP/Yahoo News

House Democrats elected Nancy Pelosi to remain as their leader Wednesday despite massive party losses in this month's congressional elections that prompted some lawmakers to call for new leadership. Pelosi, the nation's first female House speaker, will become minority leader when Republicans assume the majority in the new Congress in January.

She defeated moderate Democratic Rep. Heath Shuler of North Carolina, 150-43, in secret balloting in a lengthy closed-door gathering of House Democrats in the Capitol.

Pelosi, 70, overcame a rebellion from party centrists, and even some fellow liberals, who argued that the party needs to offer a new face of leadership after losing at least 60 House seats on Nov. 2. She remains popular among the liberals who dominate the party's House caucus. But Shuler's level of support — plus an earlier 129-68 vote against postponing the election that Pelosi wanted to wrap up quickly — underscored the degree of discontent in a party that Pelosi had largely bended to her will in the past four years.

Republicans voted to keep John Boehner of Ohio as their top House leader. Boehner, who celebrated his 61st birthday Wednesday, had no opposition, and will become speaker in the new Congress. Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., will become majority leader.

-------------------

Boehner's birthday is today, mine is a week from today (I turn 34)...I swear, between Nov 2 and TODAY? SERIOUSLY one of the best birthday months I've EVER had... *skips off singing "It's the most WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEARRRRRRRRRRRR"*

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Dems aren't known for being the brightest bulb in the pack. After all, they re-elected Barry how many times? Even after he was convicted and served time. They re-elected Hoyer. They re-elected O'Malley (even after he furloughed state workers). They've defended Jack Jackson in spite of the evidence..... They're brain dead.

NCalif

Dems aren't known for being the brightest bulb in the pack. After all, they re-elected Barry how many times? Even after he was convicted and served time. They re-elected Hoyer. They re-elected O'Malley (even after he furloughed state workers). They've defended Jack Jackson in spite of the evidence..... They're brain dead.

Not to mention Barney Frank of Fannie and Freddie fame...........
Frank's fingerprints are all over the financial fiasco - The Boston Globe
The roots of this crisis go back to the Carter administration. That was when government officials, egged on by left-wing activists, began accusing mortgage lenders of racism and "redlining" because urban blacks were being denied mortgages at a higher rate than suburban whites.

Time and time again, Frank insisted that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were in good shape. [In 2003], for example, when the Bush administration proposed much tighter regulation of the two companies, Frank was adamant that "these two entities, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not facing any kind of financial crisis." When the White House warned of "systemic risk for our financial system" unless the mortgage giants were curbed, Frank complained that the administration was more concerned about financial safety than about housing. :tantrum

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK, there's a conspiracy going on out there. :tap:

It's one thing that Olbie stays on making sure than MSNBC retains their role, along with Chris, Ed, Rach and Lawrence, of Albatross around the neck of the Democrat party, just absolutely knee capping the entire gang with their special brand of...commentary.

OK, no big deal. It's a business decision. MSNBC likes their role. The GOP says 'thank you' and merrily goes about their business of moving back to the left now that the election is over knowing that no matter how far left they go, MSNBC will make them sound like rabid right wing dogs.

Now, Pelosi? This is just too convenient. She runs the party into the ground, becomes the lightning rod for Obama, Rahm, Axe and even Harry, and the only thing the Dems must do to regain any level of credibility from the independents is throw her over board and... they want her back? This is incredible. The GOP has got to be paying them to keep her. There simply has to be some sort of deal, stuff they are giving the Anthony Wieners of the world to be this happy with being and staying in the minority.

Has got to be some sort of deal. :tap:

willie

150-43 in a SECRET ballot? Aren't these the folks that wanted the union stewards to observe open voting?

TurboK9

OK, there's a conspiracy going on out there. :tap:

It's one thing that Olbie stays on making sure than MSNBC retains their role, along with Chris, Ed, Rach and Lawrence, of Albatross around the neck of the Democrat party, just absolutely knee capping the entire gang with their special brand of...commentary.

OK, no big deal. It's a business decision. MSNBC likes their role. The GOP says 'thank you' and merrily goes about their business of moving back to the left now that the election is over knowing that no matter how far left they go, MSNBC will make them sound like rabid right wing dogs.

Now, Pelosi? This is just too convenient. She runs the party into the ground, becomes the lightning rod for Obama, Rahm, Axe and even Harry, and the only thing the Dems must do to regain any level of credibility from the independents is throw her over board and... they want her back? This is incredible. The GOP has got to be paying them to keep her. There simply has to be some sort of deal, stuff they are giving the Anthony Wieners of the world to be this happy with being and staying in the minority.

Has got to be some sort of deal. :tap:

I think you are right. About what, I'm not sure, but you hit on something...

How many dems ran and got elected on the "I'm not Nancy Pelosi" ticket?

And now this? :confused:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
AP/Yahoo News

Boehner's birthday is today, mine is a week from today (I turn 34)...I swear, between Nov 2 and TODAY? SERIOUSLY one of the best birthday months I've EVER had... *skips off singing "It's the most WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEARRRRRRRRRRRR"*

:love: Here's a little pre-birthday present for you, snookums...

But I warn you: don't look at the picture posted in the article - you could scare crows with that face! :twitch:

Perhaps even more interesting than the party infighting currently surrounding Pelosi, is the word leaking from her office of just how angry she is with the Obama White House. In a recent interview Pelosi maintained that the Democratic Party’s midterm losses had nothing to do with her, but were rather a messaging problem – a clear signal to, and against, the Obama White House. And while President Obama made a recent positive mention of Pelosi’s work as Speaker, no reciprocation by Pelosi toward Obama has been forthcoming. Publicly, Speaker Pelosi does not mention Obama, but privately, she is said to be livid over what she deems gross incompetence by the ObamaWhite House in failing to adequately protect Democrats heading into the midterm election cycle – and this anger toward Obama has apparently been ongoing for months.

According to insider reports, former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel acted as the primary go between for the president and Speaker Pelosi, helping to smooth communications between the two powerful politicians. During the prolonged health care debate, Obama’s persistent indifference regarding the legislative process is said to have annoyed Pelosi. This annoyance later turned to outright disgust and repeated remarks about how little Obama knew or cared to know about legislative issues. Repeated promises are said to have been made to Pelosi by Emanuel that a comprehensive and effective public relations campaign would be initiated by the White House following the health care vote that would afford Democrats adequate protections heading into the midterm elections. When no such protective campaign effectively materialized from the White House, Pelosi and other Democrats became increasingly alarmed. By this time, Emanuel himself had reportedly become disenchanted with the political indifference and incoherence of President Obama, as well as his own diminished role within the West Wing.

And with Emanuel’s departure, Pelosi’s disdain toward Obama is said to have grown rapidly, a disdain she apparently no longer attempts to hide from her own staff, most recently having declared that the president “can go to hell.”

Read more: The Ulsterman Report: Pelosi’s Disdain Toward Obama White House | Newsflavor

The Ulsterman Report: Pelosi’s Disdain Toward Obama White House | Newsflavor

NCalif

Intersting article. I hope they are fighting eachother.

On the other hand, I wonder if it's a PR stunt for the purposes of distancing Pelosi and Obama for political reasons. There could be a lot of benefit to that. She could be the good cop to his bad cop or vice versa. Or, if Soros doesn't want to have Obama for a 2nd term, he's going to need someone with high name recognition who is narcissitic and delusional enough to sell the Democrat success story to voters in 2012.

Bann

PREMO Member
Intersting article. I hope they are fighting eachother.

On the other hand, I wonder if it's a PR stunt for the purposes of distancing Pelosi and Obama for political reasons. There could be a lot of benefit to that. She could be the good cop to his bad cop or vice versa. Or, if Soros doesn't want to have Obama for a 2nd term, he's going to need someone with high name recognition who is narcissitic and delusional enough to sell the Democrat success story to voters in 2012.

I don't have a hard time believing any of it. I'm convinced that Pelosi, et. al. had much to do with Hillary not getting the primary nomination. There could not be TWO powerful (Liberal) womens up there on Capitol Hill - there was only room for one. And, as Speaker of the House, Ms. Pelosi was pretty powerful and wielded her power vociferously. Now that she's been knocked off her pedestal, I imagine she is not a happy camper. :bawl: And Obama will have to pay. :getdown:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm worried about Heath Schuler now, I think Nancy's hit beeches from code pink are gonna come after him.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
150-43 in a SECRET ballot? Aren't these the folks that wanted the union stewards to observe open voting?
Isn't this the party of... uh, what was it again? Oh! That's right, the party of "change"! :killingme

Let this event serve as a reminder that, when their principles were in danger of being extinguished, conservatives rallied and vowed to hold ALL their representatives according to certain ideals over party politics. Going into this last election, conservatives were not afraid to buck the system and put it all on the line.

Meanwhile, liberals keep pushing full steam ahead even after they've already driven off the cliff. Some "change". :bigwhoop:

Here's a little pre-birthday present for you, snookums...
Thanks, pookie (my birthday is coming shortly also). It is interesting how not long ago the Republicans were said to be on the verge of collapse while Democrats were surging. 2012 is going to be a humdinger! :lmao:

Vince

And in 2 years you're going to see how really stupid they can be when they re-elect Obama....and that's only if he hasn't proclaimed himself king by then.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't have a hard time believing any of it. I'm convinced that Pelosi, et. al. had much to do with Hillary not getting the primary nomination. There could not be TWO powerful (Liberal) womens up there on Capitol Hill - there was only room for one. And, as Speaker of the House, Ms. Pelosi was pretty powerful and wielded her power vociferously. Now that she's been knocked off her pedestal, I imagine she is not a happy camper. :bawl: And Obama will have to pay. :getdown:

What could be worse for liberals than if that is the case? What could be more insulting to women? In an age when women work together, have all these tv shows and share quite nicely, when women have made ever more gains, professionally, all over, and yet in the home of 'progressivism' it is, in essence, the land of the Neanderthals where the most base instincts and behavior still holds?

Bann

PREMO Member
What could be worse for liberals than if that is the case? What could be more insulting to women? In an age when women work together, have all these tv shows and share quite nicely, when women have made ever more gains, professionally, all over, and yet in the home of 'progressivism' it is, in essence, the land of the Neanderthals where the most base instincts and behavior still holds?

Did you see her "victory speech"? :lol: I noticed the faces of all of the men who had to line up behind her to show their unity. Real supportive looking. :killingme And what about what she did to Rep. Clyburn? Let the Republicans do something like that and you'd hear the caterwauling cries of racism from sea to shining sea!

I'm sure her long term family political ties helped her retain or regain the leadership role. She has the power to call in enough favors that people had to vote for her. Or else.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did you see her "victory speech"? :lol: I noticed the faces of all of the men who had to line up behind her to show their unity. Real supportive looking. :killingme And what about what she did to Rep. Clyburn? Let the Republicans do something like that and you'd hear the caterwauling cries of racism from sea to shining sea!

I'm sure her long term family political ties helped her retain or regain the leadership role. She has the power to call in enough favors that people had to vote for her. Or else.

And her power is based on being a woman, that she MUST be treated differently, that you can't 'hit the girl' so to speak. She is a huge step backwards for the Dems and it worries me because, as long as she is around, she serves as cover for the GOP to move back to the left because anything they do will be decried by the very symbol of nut bag liberalism as yet another 'right wing, conservative scheme.'

Can you imagine a man being treated this way after leading his team to an epic defeat?

Pelosi is deferred to because of her sex, not her competence. Obama is deferred to because of his race, not his competence.

And there are the fruits of progressivism.

Some progress.

:shrug:

Vince

At least I don't have to see her on TV all the time as Speaker of the House. Maybe she'll get less camera time.

Bann

PREMO Member
And her power is based on being a woman, that she MUST be treated differently, that you can't 'hit the girl' so to speak. She is a huge step backwards for the Dems and it worries me because, as long as she is around, she serves as cover for the GOP to move back to the left because anything they do will be decried by the very symbol of nut bag liberalism as yet another 'right wing, conservative scheme.'

Can you imagine a man being treated this way after leading his team to an epic defeat?

Pelosi is deferred to because of her sex, not her competence. Obama is deferred to because of his race, not his competence.

And there are the fruits of progressivism.

Some progress.

:shrug:

They'd BETTERNOT! I don't think they will get away with that this time - enough people saw how that movie ended and we didn't like it. Hopefully.

We'll just have to be loud about it. That's why I say if Steny won't hold town meetings to hear what we in the 5th District have to say and is not listening to what we say- then we should hold our own!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They'd BETTERNOT! I don't think they will get away with that this time - enough people saw how that movie ended and we didn't like it. Hopefully.

We'll just have to be loud about it. That's why I say if Steny won't hold town meetings to hear what we in the 5th District have to say and is not listening to what we say- then we should hold our own!

There it is. Trust but verify.