Senator: I'd like to shut down Fox News and MSNBC

E

EmptyTimCup

:jerry:

Senator: I'd like to shut down Fox News and MSNBC

GLENN: I would like to start with cut 221, please. Jay Rockefeller, Jay Rockefeller tells news officials if we don't fix this in other words, Fox, if we don't fix this, we'll fix you.

Rockefeller: So let me caution our witnesses today. If you fail to fix this situation, all three parts of it, we're going to fix it for you, but when we do that, we will seek to do more than referee your corporate money disputes because more than just retransmission consent ails our television markets. We need new catalysts for quality news and entertainment programming. I hunger for quality news. I'm tired of the right and the left.

GLENN: Are you?

Rockefeller: There's a whole bug inside of me that wants to get the FCC to say to Fox and MSNBC off, end, good bye. It would be a big favor to political discourse, our ability to do our work here in Congress.

GLENN: Sure would. Let's stop discussion.

Rockefeller: And then we could talk and people can have faith in their government and more importantly, their future.

GLENN: Stop, stop, stop. [COLOR="
Red"]So it is Fox and MSNBC that is causing us not to have faith in our government. It's not that the crushing debt. It's not the out of control corruption, it's the news[/COLOR]

:eyebrow:

why shut down your FAN Club ... I get they want to shut out Fox News ....

Last edited by a moderator:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
I don't think FOX and MSNBC should go anywhere -- but I would like to see a cable news station rise that actually reported the news and not political programming 24/7.

There are ways to educate, inform and entertain. CNN doesn't do either.

SamSpade

why shut down your FAN Club ... I get they want to shut out Fox News ....

When I saw the whole clip, I was shocked. We have a Senator who honestly does not understand the concept of free speech and actively wishes to stifle it for the good of his fellow politicians.

I guess I was shocked that it was meant in earnest.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
He's a Rockefeller. His great grand-daddy was part of the team that created the Fed. And you're surprised that he doesn't give a rat's butt about constitutional rights?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't think FOX and MSNBC should go anywhere -- but I would like to see a cable news station rise that actually reported the news and not political programming 24/7.

Do you ever actually watch Fox?? The only thing that they do do "24/7" IS straight news. The morning show excepted..the political comentators and their programs are clearly scheduled (mostly evening time slots) ..so its easy to know when to watch ..or not. Same with CNN..MSNBC...

So what Rockefeller is really saying is that he wants to get rid of news outlets that also do political commentary...or exclude them from doing political commentary.

Good luck with that.

PsyOps

Pixelated
When I saw the whole clip, I was shocked. We have a Senator who honestly does not understand the concept of free speech and actively wishes to stifle it for the good of his fellow politicians.

I guess I was shocked that it was meant in earnest.

You’re shocked? I’m not. One of the first things that popped in my head was “this is the contempt these elite progressives hold against us”. These are the guys that have been pushing the "Fairness Doctrine" for years. Rockefeller is brave enough to say what the rest of his ilk don’t have the courage to say. These guys really can’t help themselves. Slowly each one of them come out with what’s really in their hearts. These are the people that have every desire to dictate our lives to us; we are too stupid to decide what’s good for us. Only THEY hold the wisdom to make sure our weak little minds aren’t damaged by these destructive elements in our society.

SamSpade

You’re shocked? I’m not. One of the first things that popped in my head was “this is the contempt these elite progressives hold against us”. These are the guys that have been pushing the "Fairness Doctrine" for years.

But I've always presumed it was just political maneuvering. They want a tactical advantage, so they push for it. Kind of like getting a crook off because he wasn't read his Miranda rights - yeah, you know it's wrong, but it wins the case.

THIS shows he actually believes that freedom of political expression is BAD for the country, and they ought to be silenced.

Moreover, he said it clearly, out loud and for the record. I half expected an "oops, did I say that out loud?" moment, but there was none.