MSNBC Suspends Scarborough For Donations

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Wall Street Journal

Cable-news channel MSNBC said Friday that it has suspended host Joe Scarborough for making $4,000 in political donations without permission, its second suspension of a high-profile host over contributions in two weeks.

Mr. Scarborough, who hosts the General Electric Co. network's "Morning Joe" program, made eight donations of $500 to local candidates in Florida between 2004 and 2008, the network said in a statement. His suspension, without pay, will bar him from his weekday show for two days, returning Nov. 24.

"Since he did not seek or receive approval for these contributions, Joe understands that I will be suspending him for violating our policy," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's president, said in a statement. "It is critical that we enforce our standards and policies," he added.

Mr. Scarborough apologized to the network in a separate statement provided by MSNBC. "I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter," he said.

Mr. Scarborough added that because the donations were to "longtime friends" and given for personal reasons, "I mistakenly believed that I did not need approval from MSNBC. I also apologize for that oversight."

-------------------------

Is this their way of getting a bump in ratings? :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wall Street Journal

Cable-news channel MSNBC said Friday that it has suspended host Joe Scarborough for making $4,000 in political donations without permission, its second suspension of a high-profile host over contributions in two weeks.

Mr. Scarborough, who hosts the General Electric Co. network's "Morning Joe" program, made eight donations of $500 to local candidates in Florida between 2004 and 2008, the network said in a statement. His suspension, without pay, will bar him from his weekday show for two days, returning Nov. 24.

"Since he did not seek or receive approval for these contributions, Joe understands that I will be suspending him for violating our policy," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's president, said in a statement. "It is critical that we enforce our standards and policies," he added.

Mr. Scarborough apologized to the network in a separate statement provided by MSNBC. "I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter," he said.

Mr. Scarborough added that because the donations were to "longtime friends" and given for personal reasons, "I mistakenly believed that I did not need approval from MSNBC. I also apologize for that oversight."

-------------------------

Is this their way of getting a bump in ratings? :killingme

MSNBC decends ever further into pure farce. :lol:

Keef was giving to people recently and not even remotely associated with himself as a constituent. Joe's 'offense' was years ago and to people he could actually vote for.

In sports, this is known as a 'make up' call.

What a bunch of clowns.

LC_Sulla

I think Keith ratted him out! :coffee:

Hi! I believe you are correct. He did rat him out in one of those special comment things he does. He didn't mention Joe by name, but it was clear what he meant.

I don't think media people should be giving to politicians anyways. It's definitely a conflict of interest.

Yes, they have a right to donate, but as most on this forum would agree, they have to live by the rules of their employer.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Joe Scarborough

Who dat?

I'm sure he'll face the full wrath of the network. I even heard they may use the ultimate punishment that shows that your fellow liberals have had enough.

Yes, that's right. The dreaded censure.

He's going to be forced to stand there while an official proclomation is read saying he made a boo-boo, then he's going to sit down and go right back to slanting the news as he always does. I heard they may even delay sending his pay check for 30 seconds.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
MSNBC decends ever further into pure farce. :lol:

Keef was giving to people recently and not even remotely associated with himself as a constituent. Joe's 'offense' was years ago and to people he could actually vote for.

In sports, this is known as a 'make up' call.

What a bunch of clowns.

:yay:

At least Joe didn't whine & cry about it, he took responsibility. What a bunch of maroons.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hi! I believe you are correct. He did rat him out in one of those special comment things he does. He didn't mention Joe by name, but it was clear what he meant.

I don't think media people should be giving to politicians anyways. It's definitely a conflict of interest.

Yes, they have a right to donate, but as most on this forum would agree, they have to live by the rules of their employer.

He might be a media person, but he's a commentator who happens to be a former Republican Congressman, not an exactly impartial reporter of news.