Beerfest.... Here We Go!!!

royhobie

hobieflyer
County Times is reporting that the "Historic St. Mary's City" folks want to have a Beer Fest. Actually, I am all for it. However, too many follks don't know how drink responsibility and that is where the problem is. It seems like every body and his uncle is issued a beer and wine license these days by the St. Mary's County Government. Then they wonder why they have a DWI problem. Fancy that! They will be hard pressed to deny St. Mary's City what they want. However, the cops will be overrun by the DWIs that will occur and thus, the increase of deaths from DWI will be a direct result. HSC is in the South part of the County where the County, and especially MSP rarely go. Can't pull any Deputies or Troppers out of LP City. They have to be there to try and control their problems, with their daily, 24 hr. domestic issues, DWIs, fights, thefts and so forth. The Green Door in Park Hall is a poster child for not allowing DWI, right? Or, is it factual that the officers are so tied up further north that they just don't see what is going on? You decide. I was there recently. Most folks do appear to drink responsibly, There were some that were completely out of it and somehow were still standing. Of course, we all know they made sure they had a designated driver.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
How is this different than the wine festival? It'd be nice to have a sample of some home brews and designer beers. I went to a wine festival in VA and they had a good safety system. Each drinker or group had to have a designated driver, paid a fee for a glass and used only that glass for drinking. The drivers got in free, could have all the non alcolhol drinks and a voucher for food. They also got a hand stamp to identify them as non drinkers.
It'll be more controlled than the booze consumed at the River Concert series, the Gov's Cup finish, and let's not forget the 'don't need any real reason' Alum run on Cook's & St Jame's Place.

Concerned? be a volunteer driver.

Last edited:

belvak

Happy Camper
How is this different than the wine festival? It'd be nice to have a sample of some home brews and designer beers. I went to a wine festival in VA and they had a good safety system. Each drinker or group had to have a designated driver, paid a fee for a glass and used only that glass for drinking. The drivers got in free, could have all the non alcolhol drinks and a voucher for food. They also got a hand stamp to identify them as non drinkers.
It'll be more controlled than the booze consumed at the River Concert series, the Gov's Cup finish, and let's not forget the 'don't need any real reason' Alum run on Cook's & St Jame's Place.

Concerned? be a volunteer driver.

:yeahthat:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I don't really understand your point. People drink alcohol in and get drunk, always have and always will. They should not be driving when doing this, whether it's beer,wine or spirits it effects judgement and you will have results from it.Crap, I probably would not have gotten half the azz I did if alcohol wasn't involve :buddies:.....So what's your point again with this thread?

bcp

In My Opinion
County Times is reporting that the "Historic St. Mary's City" folks want to have a Beer Fest. Actually, I am all for it. However, too many follks don't know how drink responsibility and that is where the problem is. It seems like every body and his uncle is issued a beer and wine license these days by the St. Mary's County Government. Then they wonder why they have a DWI problem. Fancy that! They will be hard pressed to deny St. Mary's City what they want. However, the cops will be overrun by the DWIs that will occur and thus, the increase of deaths from DWI will be a direct result. HSC is in the South part of the County where the County, and especially MSP rarely go. Can't pull any Deputies or Troppers out of LP City. They have to be there to try and control their problems, with their daily, 24 hr. domestic issues, DWIs, fights, thefts and so forth. The Green Door in Park Hall is a poster child for not allowing DWI, right? Or, is it factual that the officers are so tied up further north that they just don't see what is going on? You decide. I was there recently. Most folks do appear to drink responsibly, There were some that were completely out of it and somehow were still standing. Of course, we all know they made sure they had a designated driver.

what a bunch of crap.
its been proving that more drinking establishments actually lower the rate of accidents since people arent racing to get to some bar 20 miles away. Keeping the drunk drivers closer to home and on roads they are familiar with decreases the chance of a mishap.

hey, if taking cell phones away, and enforcing the speed limit cause more accidents, I dont see why we can work it here.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Like I said, I am for it. And I agree, it is no different than a wine festival which is why the County will have support it to. Not sure how much the "people" will support it. Can't give approval to one and not the other. bcp, not sure about your theory. Sounds good if that is the position you support. Haven't seen the supportive evidence, so I don't know either way. However, if a person drinks and drive, they will continue to do it. This is supported by ample evidence of repeated occurances as reported in newspapers.

dan0623_2000

Beer festival

Jeez people, when are you going to get it that drinking wine is politically correct and totally aceptable? Try to get a government backed loan to start a brewery and see what happens. Submit paper work for a winery and the government starts giving out grants, tax breaks and old state highway buildings!!!!

L

letmetellyou

I can't for the life of me figure out what the op's problem is? I think he was drunk when he wrote this.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I can't for the life of me figure out what the op's problem is? I think he was drunk when he wrote this.

Must have something to do with the south end of the county. OP started another thread about how Lexington Park is cutting the south end off from civilization.

exnodak

Total buzzkill :buddies:

FED_UP

Must have something to do with the south end of the county. OP started another thread about how Lexington Park is cutting the south end off from civilization.

You almost made me smack my screen with the crawling bug.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It seems like every body and his uncle is issued a beer and wine license these days by the St. Mary's County Government. Then they wonder why they have a DWI problem. Fancy that! .

??? Say wut? You must not have lived around here 25-30 years ago..there were so many more bars in SMC then as compared to now that its mind boggling, the difference.

And the demise of so many fine establishments is sad too. I saw the hand writing on the wall when they stopped serving mixed drinks at the drive-thru windows.

:killingme

smilin

BOXER NATION
??? Say wut? You must not have lived around here 25-30 years ago..there were so many more bars in SMC then as compared to now that its mind boggling, the difference.

And the demise of so many fine establishments is sad too. I saw the hand writing on the wall when they stopped serving mixed drinks at the drive-thru windows.

Sure was a lot more fun...
:buddies:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

:yeahthat: St. Mary's was actually in the Guiness book of world records for most bars per area. 1 every square mile. :killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, you are right about that. However, I was talking about "overall" licenses to include both bars, winerys, restaurants, and liquor stores.

Methinks that the number of DWI busts gained from staking out winerys, restaurants and liquor stores is kinda miniscule.:killingme

Certainly as compared to the number of busts at 2am Sunday morning on rt 249 when Swanns, OCI, Oakwood and LCD were all smokin busy...or rt 242 when T's Cove, Victory and Old Gum were all in full swing..or....you get my drift. But we avoided trouble for the most part by staying on the water. Cobb Island..Colonial Beach, Capt. Billy's...:whistle:

No..I don't care how many licenses the county gives out; its nothing now and never will be again like it was in the 'good old days'..