Air Duct Cleaning

emma1606

Does anyone have experience with Mountian Air Duct Services or Envirocair? Both had good coupons in the Clipper for Air Duct Cleaning but I would prefer to hear about a good or bad experience with them before I schedule.

Thanks!

royhobie

hobieflyer
Does anyone have experience with Mountian Air Duct Services or Envirocair? Both had good coupons in the Clipper for Air Duct Cleaning but I would prefer to hear about a good or bad experience with them before I schedule.

Thanks!

Have you ever seen the inside of air ducts? Most are not dirty at all. When they clean the ducts, they use a deodorizer which gives the owner the mindset of how nice and clean the ducts are, when you are charged potentially hundreds of dollars for some "deodorizer". DON'T FALL FOR THEIR SCAM!!!!

Your best bet is to keep your air filter clean. Save your money. If you want a nice smelling house, stores such as Walmart sells various types of scents that attach to air filters. Their are all types of air filters that take out even the smallest type of dust particles. This is very important for people with allergies. Good luck, but again, please don't fall for the scam of these duct cleaning companies. 99.9% just don't need it!

emma1606

Have you ever seen the inside of air ducts? Most are not dirty at all. When they clean the ducts, they use a deodorizer which gives the owner the mindset of how nice and clean the ducts are, when you are charged potentially hundreds of dollars for some "deodorizer". DON'T FALL FOR THEIR SCAM!!!!

Your best bet is to keep your air filter clean. Save your money. If you want a nice smelling house, stores such as Walmart sells various types of scents that attach to air filters. Their are all types of air filters that take out even the smallest type of dust particles. This is very important for people with allergies. Good luck, but again, please don't fall for the scam of these duct cleaning companies. 99.9% just don't need it!

Thanks! Someone else told me the same thing yesterday so I won't be calling.

Royhobie:
You may be right; the HVAC ducts may not need cleaning, but remember, most cold air return ducts do not have filters so any dust that comes into the house gets sucked through the CAR before it reaches the filter in the HVAC. At least every other year, I remove the CAR register(s) and use a ShopVac to clean as far down into the CAR as I can. Take a look at the CAR register and if it is coated with dust/dirt, there is proably a good chance there is quite a bit within the CAR duct. JMHO.

bcp

In My Opinion
make sure that whoever you call has a camera on the equipment.
You can then see on their monitor exactly what shape your air ducts are in.

the returns after time ARE going to be filled with dust balls, If you keep the filters clean on the handler, and you have no leaks anywhere in the duct system, the supply side should be fairly clean.

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
We had ServePro clean our air ducts when we first moved into our house last year. They used used a variety of brsuhes to clean the air duct. While doing that they also had a BIG ASS Suction Fan that pulled everything out of the system.

JoeMac

My question would be, why do you think you need this done? Do you have problems in the house or just their coupon caught your attention?

If you have dust/allergies/hot/cold spots or any other comfort or health issue usually dirty ductwork is not the culprit. Usually a leaky duct system is a bigger problem and if you have dust issues the question should be how is the dust getting into the house and into the duct system. The ductwork does not produce dust.

I have a fair amount of building science training and worked for a company that did duct cleanings. I almost never recommend them.

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
My question would be, why do you think you need this done? Do you have problems in the house or just their coupon caught your attention?

If you have dust/allergies/hot/cold spots or any other comfort or health issue usually dirty ductwork is not the culprit. Usually a leaky duct system is a bigger problem and if you have dust issues the question should be how is the dust getting into the house and into the duct system. The ductwork does not produce dust.

I have a fair amount of building science training and worked for a company that did duct cleanings. I almost never recommend them.

Our problem was that the previous owners hardly changed/cleaned the air filter as they used one of those see thru washable ones.

JoeMac

That will do it. I'm a firm believer in maintenance. How anybody can think that something will last without keeping it maintained is beyond me.

Hazel

I had our air ducts cleaned when we first moved into our home - the previous owner had cats, husband was allergic, just wanted to make sure we weren't walking street into a permanent sneezing fit.

Seemed to help... Don't know if it was necessary. We had the same company clean the carpets, and we cleaned the air filters as well, so I'm sure it was some combination of those things.

OldHillcrestGuy

Had mine done about 2 years ago after being in the house for 30 years, the coupon caught my eye. Was home the whole time they were there and after they left I felt like I just wasted some $$$. From what I could see, I didnt see any dust balls or dust being removed.

emma1606

Had mine done about 2 years ago after being in the house for 30 years, the coupon caught my eye. Was home the whole time they were there and after they left I felt like I just wasted some $$$. From what I could see, I didnt see any dust balls or dust being removed.

Did you notice any difference?

Wrkn4livn

Royhobie:
You may be right; the HVAC ducts may not need cleaning, but remember, most cold air return ducts do not have filters so any dust that comes into the house gets sucked through the CAR before it reaches the filter in the HVAC. At least every other year, I remove the CAR register(s) and use a ShopVac to clean as far down into the CAR as I can. Take a look at the CAR register and if it is coated with dust/dirt, there is proably a good chance there is quite a bit within the CAR duct. JMHO.

Sounds good! I had filters placed on the intake vents that head into the handler last year. It helps but I find that I really need to replace them every 30 days or I can see the dust build up on the furniture.