DC to live or not to live there?

NavyWifeNMom

So we have orders to PAX River in st marys county. I havent been able to find an apt in areas nearby to fit our needs. Where can we rent in DC thats not to far from NAS PAX River and not too pricey for a 3 bedroom (and must allow pets) Pleas help Im so lost and confused right now and we move in 4 months. We were supposed to get housing but still waiting on a hardcopy and we hear the waiting list is killer. Thanks for reading and happy holidays all :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Unless you hate your husband, asking him to commute from the DC area is a bad idea. Looks close on the map, but those 40 miles or more would eat 2-3 hours a day, best case, maybe more. 4 months is plenty of time to find a local rental that will suit your needs. I have more advice, but I'll post that in your other thread.

Vince

Commuting down Rt 4 from DC everynight would make anyone crazy. It's literally bumper to bumper and everyone wants to go 70mph or faster. Traffic getting home from the base is bad enough, I wouldn't wish a DC commute on anyone.

FED_UP

So we have orders to PAX River in st marys county. I havent been able to find an apt in areas nearby to fit our needs. Where can we rent in DC thats not to far from NAS PAX River and not too pricey for a 3 bedroom (and must allow pets) Pleas help Im so lost and confused right now and we move in 4 months. We were supposed to get housing but still waiting on a hardcopy and we hear the waiting list is killer. Thanks for reading and happy holidays all :)

I don't live in DC but I am sure everything near or in DC is higher than Pax area.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Do not make your husband commute from DC to Pax.

The commute will take 2 hours minimum one way. The miles don't show actual traffic patterns.

The cost of living will bankrupt you in DC. Rent, parking, food, electric, everything will be much much higher.

Look to live in St Mary's County. Check with Pax River NAS for housing recommendations.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Not only is DC to Pax a really long commute, but the rent is so much higher!! "Not too pricey" and DC don't really go hand in hand unless you're looking for a place in a crappy area...but if you're doing that you might as well move further south, pay a similar price, and live in a better area closer to the base.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Interesting. Looking for good schools and low crime (from her other thread) yet considering DC? Even the gangs are moving out of DC to avoid the crime.

vince77

you're looking for something that doesn't exist in DC....have children?.....I'd look in Southern Charles County....

H

HouseCat

Try looking in the southern part of Calvert County. Much nicer places to live than St. Marys.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Try looking in the southern part of Calvert County. Much nicer places to live than St. Marys.

Interesting considering I hear a bunch of crap occurs in CRE that doesn't occur in numerous places in St. Mary's county. I guess it's all about perspective.

Toxick

Splat
Interesting considering I hear a bunch of crap occurs in CRE that doesn't occur in numerous places in St. Mary's county. I guess it's all about perspective.

Calvert's penninsula shape offers better crosswinds, and the smell from the meth labs clears quicker.

BOP

Commuting down Rt 4 from DC everynight would make anyone crazy. It's literally bumper to bumper and everyone wants to go 70mph or faster. Traffic getting home from the base is bad enough, I wouldn't wish a DC commute on anyone.

I know Marines who commute from Wildwood to the 5-sided wind tunnel ever day. Been doing it for over 3 years. But then again, they are Marines.

That, and they retire after this tour, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Look around on base, around the area and you'll find something.

BOP

Interesting. Looking for good schools and low crime (from her other thread) yet considering DC? Even the gangs are moving out of DC to avoid the crime.

And a better education for their baby momma's babies.