Low Cost Medical Testing

If you don't mind traveling to Prince Frederick to have some testing done, this can save a bunch of money. Done by the same lab that I and many of us use right now, LabCorp.

Doctors slash patients' lab-test costs - CNN.com

"These people that would ordinarily not be able to afford lab work are paying almost identical the amount the government pays for Medicaid," Patton said.

"(The prices) are spectacularly low for something you can get on the market yourself."

For example, a lipid panel (cholesterol test) in Lefton's area can cost as much as $148 for an uninsured person. The same test is available for less than $18 through the site.

Here's how it works: Patients needing lab work can go to the medical society's website and click on the big yellow box in the middle of the page. From there they choose the tests their doctor says they need, give the doctor's fax number, pay with a credit card and print out the order. They then take the order to any LabCorp location in 47 states and have the work done. Results are sent securely to the patient and the doctor, often within 24 hours.

Pete

Repete
Imagine that, free enterprise to the rescue.

I changed pediatricians because the one I took Boy to used to do a battery of "In office tests" and hooked the insurance company for $200+ every time.

He has a sore throat. OK the instant strep test for $45 I can buy even though the little plastic tray and the goo inside that turned pink might cost him $5, but the ear pressure test $50, the drop of blood on the test strip into the machine $55 that he did EVERY TIME regardless of the purpose of the visit reeked of insurance fraud.

Earache? Sure lets do the blood, ears and strep.

So now this industrious company comes along and through volume and cost controls fill a giant gap in the market and drives down the costs. I hope they 1. branch into every county in the country and 2. Get a competitor to keep them on their toes.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Ya do a little research, and look what you find:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Lab-Corp.aspx

labcorp is HUGE..and mandated by many insurances..they are bound to get complaints. I personally hate their guts because I KNOW they double charge me and charge for things I didn't have done...and when you call to talk to tem you get some indian dude who can't speak a lick of english.

But it's not cuz it;s a scam company...its just a huge company concerned with only their profits. They are lucky because basically they and quest have a monopoly. Quest is a billion times worse, IMO.