children of police officers

CrashTest

Don't have a theory but we all know that cops work lots of nights and weekends when kids need to have them around.

Josimmon

I am a child of a cop and I have never been in trouble with the law. Did I do things when I was younger that was illegal? Yes, many of us were drinking under-age. I was not into the drug scene, I have been since I was 17, and one of the reasons I did not get into trouble is because my dad was a cop. He ran checks on my friends, and God forbid if they had a record! I got away with a lot less than my friends did, so no I do not believe all cops kids are bad. As with all engineer’s kids, or banker’s kids, or nurse’s kids, it depends on the parental style and the kids themselves.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I don't think cops have any more problems with their kids than anyone else. I think we just hear about it BECAUSE they are children of cops.

TurboK9

This is not meant to bash police officers. My spouse and I know firsthand how difficult it is to raise children and to keep them on the right path. Parents can only give the children the right tools to make the right choices, and then must hope the child grows up to use them. Still, I can't help but to notice that MANY children of police officers are hoodlum-like. I would even venture to guess that a higher percentage of police officers have problem kids than do the general population.

For example, I know a retired cop that has an adult son that has been convicted numerous times for drugs, theft, and even a manslaughter charge. That adult son also has a son that has been convicted several times for drug and theft charges.

I know another family in which both parents are cops. Their 14-y.o. daughter snuck out regularly late at night/early in the morning with boys in cars that drink and smoke pot, and has been caught at least twice by her parents.

You may recall about a year or so ago when a police officer from southern Maryland (I think it was Calvert) that taught D.A.R.E. had a son that got busted with a fairly large amount of marijuana.

So, am I correct that police officers tend to have more problems with their children than the general population? If so, what are the causes? Is it because their children think they are above the law? Is it because police officers have jobs that interfere with their ability to raise families? Please help me understand this.

First off, I highly doubt you know enough cops to qualify your view... I mean, how many cops are there in the US? How many of them do you know? I doubt you know a broad swath of them. Just saying... anyway....

Try working 60 to 80 hours a week, and seeing the worst humanity offers, day after day.

Try not bringing that home and not having it effect your family on some level.

Being a cop is a VERY tough job, emotionally, physically, good lord the stress level swing is insane... up, down, up, down....

I've known many cops to 'guard' their families, maybe too much. Those that do tend to push away the ones they love by being overly restrictive and protective, because they seek to keep their families safe from the crap that becomes the norm in their lives.

It's the opposite of 'ministers daughter', and yet, the same thing.

People like to b*tch about cops. The vast majority of cops, however, during the course of their careers will give up more than most of us will ever realize, and they do it for us.

:shrug:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Only know one officer well enough to speak to this. Both of his kids are good kids. One in fact is an outstanding young man who has achieved a lot in less than 25 years, a couple of them firsts in the state in law enforcement himslef. So, its not being a cop, its just kids.

lisa8439

:howdy:

My dad was a cop, retired a few years back after being with the state police for around 30 years. My brother and I were both good kids - in fact, I never acted up BECAUSE my dad was a cop and it scared the living sh!t out of me to think about what he might do. My brother and I were both straight A students, top of our classes - and are both well adjusted.

I had several friends who were kids of police officers too - same thing, minus the grades. They were all good kids who were raised right. Yes, our dads (all dads in our case, no police officer moms) were gone a lot - I remember our phone ringing at all hours when my dad had one certain duty for a few years - but they were home enough to give us a proper upbringing. We all had great moms too (my brother and I were latchkey kids as well, as my mom was a nurse - so we had times where neither parent was home very often...)

I'm not saying that the new generation of police brats are just as good, but my generation (I'm in my early 30's) had mostly good kids as far as I know, at least on the slower lower eastern shore. I have heard the same argument about preacher's kids and just lately about military kids :lol: Bad apples in every bunch, but IMO it has nothing to do with the profession and everything to do with the personality of the parents in general. If they care about their kids, no matter what they do to put bread on the table, it will show.

R

rhenderson

You cited three children you know of and one grandchild of cops -and went back "a couple of years ago" to do that.

Since you use this as the basis to hypothesize that the children of cops have more problems than other children I can only assume that you have not encountered more than three children of non-cops with similar problems.

itsrequired

I come from a long line of police officers, most with large families. Nobody that I can think of has ever been in trouble with drugs. I can't think of a single time where any of us were ever arrested, or put in rehab, or anything else. Everybody in my family, all of my cousins are gainfully employed. Over half of my friends are police officers. I know one of them who's son was arrested for a dui. I'm sure some of our kids have experimented with marijuana. I'm sure some of my friends did as well. I know just as many as my non-police officer friends who have had problems with their kids as my police friends, and the numbers are very few.

I think, based on you likely are in a situation where you hang with the wrong people. Cops and non-cops. You seem to be having issues with your child disrespecting people because of their race, and blame that on the location she lives. Seems to me you have a lot of issues with the people you associate with.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why is it that every thread/post that starts with "I'm not bashing...", invariably does?

rdytogo

Well, if you were to stick your hand in a bucket of thousands of pingpong balls, and pull out three or four balls all of which were red, wouldn't you guess that there are many other red balls in the batch? Besides, the key word in my OP was "seems." Still, I see that some in this thread can't even acknowledge that cops are prone to the samee shortcomings as the general population. I'm sorry I'm not the kind of woman that likes to unquestionably get on my knee and suck up to cops (sometimes literally).
All that because the woman gives her opinion? Pretty harsh if you ask me.

L

letmetellyou

Well, if you were to stick your hand in a bucket of thousands of pingpong balls, and pull out three or four balls all of which were red, wouldn't you guess that there are many other red balls in the batch? Besides, the key word in my OP was "seems." Still, I see that some in this thread can't even acknowledge that cops are prone to the samee shortcomings as the general population. I'm sorry I'm not the kind of woman that likes to unquestionably get on my knee and suck up to cops (sometimes literally).

No...you are just a sh*t stirrer. I don't believe anything you say in this post or the some of the ones you talked about previously. You talk about moving here and your daughter developing issues, than you seem to know an awful lot about Great Mills Road in STM County in another thread. I think you are one of those pathetic pricks on these forums that look for arguments no matter where they come from. You'll make up some b.s. stuff without having any way we can verify it. I say, eff you, and your bigot daughter. Get off the forums and do some parenting your own self.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think cops have any more problems with their kids than anyone else. I think we just hear about it BECAUSE they are children of cops.

^This^

We think cops should have model citizen children, so it catches our attention when they don't. My BFF is the daughter of a cop and you've never met a bigger goody two shoes in your life. But she's not going to make the news any time soon.

Not to mention that only bad news, in general, becomes public knowledge.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Ah, I get it...so the cops are just being picked on, huh? Of the cases I mentioned, the only one I heard about in the media was the one about the D.A.R.E. officer. The others I have firsthand knowledge.

FY. I'm just saying that maybe more is heard about it because they are cops. Are you looking for an excuse to say cop's kids are ####? then just say it instead of pretending to be interested in conversation.

redheadedhussy

Were not talking ping pong balls dearie, your talking about human beings. I grew up in Southern PG,went to school with two kids whose fathers were cops, they did the usual b.s. high school kids did back then, skip school, break curfew, that type of thing. No drugs, no arrests, I still talk to tand see them about every other month. One is with FBI, the other works on Pax River for a contractor. They have never been in trouble nor have their kids.
If you dont mind my asking, uh....did you do dope in school and if so, are you still participating in that activity. The only reason I ask, you remind me of someone I know who cant wait for the legalization of marijuana, allows her children to do or say whatever they want to whom they want, yet she cant understand why the kids are constantly in trouble at school. Have you had any trouble with your daughter,since she didnt hear any racist behavior in Charles County (bulls--t). Perhaps you would like to share any incidents with us since you moved to Calvert.