Sprinkler System For Private Wells

royhobie

hobieflyer
St. Mary's County is considering sprinkler systems for homes that have private wells. They seem to have forgot that the electricity has to be OFF when a fire is occuring. Therefore, it correct this problem, they will want you to also purchase a generator which they haven't thought of yet. They also forgot that a lot of house fires are either 1) grease fires from the kitchen or 2) chimney fires.

First of all, they don't propose installing a sprinker in your chimney. So, how will this help? It won't. Secondly, if you know anything about fires, you should know that a grease fire is spread by water; not stopped. The expense they say is estimated at $5,000.00. It will actually be more than that. Not sure where they got 5k from for an average sized house. Trailers that probably need it the most are not required to have it. Neither are barns of course. (At least for now).

I realize it sounds like I am against sprinklers. I am not. Not by a long shot. They need to be installed with some consideration for various factors. Not just flat out sprinklers for everyone, whether you like it or not, forced down your throat, whether you can afford it or not. Many, many folks are on a fixed income. Especially our Seniors. Many folks are barely getting by as it is. They are pay check to pay check. County won't provide any assistance for this. You are expected to pay ALL of it. I know many, many folks that just can't afford it. Then what do these people do? Kick them out of their homes because they can't afford a sprinkler system? It sounds like they want our citizens to drown in debt.

glhs837

Power with Control
You know this is for new construction, right? As far as I am aware, there is no retrofit requirement.

New construction. But, in the context of the proposed change, does that include ANY new construction, including additions? And Royhobie hit on the same question I have about folks on wells. Gotta have electric to run the well pumps that will charge the sprinkler system. I too wonder where the cost per square footage came from. There are way too many unanswered questions (or the whole study is not being released to the public) for this to be implemented at this time.

ServiceGuy

If cost is the only major issue why do house have electric and in-door plumbing? People survived for years without either of these technologies. Cars have air bags and anti lock brakes and almost everyone in the world will buy a car at one point in time, but no one get on the internet and made comments about how are people going to be able to afford cars to drive and they would be forced to walk? Residential sprinkler systems will be the same way in a few years they will become common just like running water and no one will think about them again.

Tech

Some misconception about sprinkler systems. It has been several years since I have read the sprinkler standard for homes and things may have changed. The standard for sprinklers in single family homes is NFPA 13D, and covers the installation and maintence of the system.

1. Electricity is not required for the system to work, defeats the purpose if it does. Most wells can not supply the demand of the system therefore the home would be installed with a tank that would be pressureized with air, think large water fire extingusher. This tank would need to supply the system for 10 minutes.

2. The system would only be installed in the "living" areas, not in garage, chiminey or unoccupied attic spaces. Vast majority of fatal fires start in the living spaces and the systems are designed to keep the fire in check so that you may escape the fire. Yes fires do start in the other areas occur but the cost to protect them could be expensive, the biggest hazard to sprinklers is the cold. Do you want to heat the garage? And fires in these areas also usually happen when the occupants are awake and therefore are capable to self rescue when they become aware of the fire.

Grease fire with water? If the fire is big enough to activate the sprinklers, you have other problems.

The systems are not designed to protect the house but to give you more time to escape. Granted, many times the sprinklers will put out the fire but they are not designed to do so. With operating smoke alarms to alert you early and the sprinklers to protect your primary exit, you should be able to escape. Reminder, you should also have a second way out from every living space in case the above doesn't work. Think about that now, not when needed.