Hey atheists!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hopefully this can be a serious and good thread, and won't turn into some dumb religious debate:

On my way home yesterday I was listening to some conservative pundit dude on the radio and he was talking about the "war on Christmas" and how atheists are trying to ruin it for everyone. The focus was some FL courthouse that put up a nativity scene outside on the lawn. Someone complained, so they invited all religious groups to contribute the the holiday decor.

An atheist group put up a nativity with something offensive, didn't catch exactly what but it was an animal in place of the baby Jesus in the manger or something like that, and there was a sign saying religion was evil, blah blah blah.

Anyway, the pundit was taking calls and hoping for atheists to explain to him why this was appropriate and why they loathe Christmas so much. And he was being seriously curious about it, not some hostile trapper bomb thrower. He had several atheist calls, but all of them were very much pro-Christmas, even though they don't necessarily celebrate it as the birth of Jesus. But they do put up the tree, some even go to church with their families, give presents, say "Merry Christmas", etc.

So I figured I might have better luck on here with you all. You atheists, do you celebrate Christmas? And/or are you offended by the nativity or other religious trappings? Is it appropriate to make government buildings recognize all religions at Christmas, including atheism, which isn't a religion at all, but is actually lack of religion?

Serious questions, so flame throwers need not apply because I'll just ignore you and possibly delete the thread if you can't have a civilized discussion. :jet:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My take:

Christmas and Jesus are part of our cultural heritage, whether you believe or not. To me, the nativity is no different than any other cultural decoration denoting a holiday. So while I don't believe, I'm also not hostile toward those who do or their customs.

Most adults do not believe in the Easter Bunny, yet we still fill baskets for the kiddies and have eggs and bunny decorations.

I'm pretty sure no one believes in leprechauns, but we celebrate St. Patty's Day, whether we are Irish or not.

To me, the nativity is no different.

And I believe that the ones who complain about religious Christmas decorations are the vocal minority. I don't really think there are that many atheists who care enough about it to make a stink.

My take:

Christmas and Jesus are part of our cultural heritage, whether you believe or not. To me, the nativity is no different than any other cultural decoration denoting a holiday. So while I don't believe, I'm also not hostile toward those who do or their customs.

Most adults do not believe in the Easter Bunny, yet we still fill baskets for the kiddies and have eggs and bunny decorations.

I'm pretty sure no one believes in leprechauns, but we celebrate St. Patty's Day, whether we are Irish or not.

To me, the nativity is no different.

And I believe that the ones who complain about religious Christmas decorations are the vocal minority. I don't really think there are that many atheists who care enough about it to make a stink.

I don't like the yards filled with blow-up Santas, Snowmen. etc., I think it looks cheap, but I don't swing by with a pellet gun and pop them. Other than that I like to see Christmas decorations. Some times I make a stink, but we won't go into that right now.

clockaleanie

I'm an atheist but love Christmas! I have a tree up, and a nativity scene which has been passed down through the family. I have no problem with other people believing and celebrating their own way. I say Merry Christmas, and went out of my way to find cards with Merry Christmas in them! I really dislike the whole Happy Holidays thing. There wouldn't be a holiday if there wasn't Christmas, so it works for me. And I also dislike those inflatable santas - my neighbour has them in his woods and they are scary!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Boyd Pridmore, 79, created a yard sign five years ago, which he now distributes to people and churches across the country.
Why wouldn't somebody make their own? :confused: Not like that's a complex design or anything.

"Our purpose is to say ‘Look. There are a lot of world views out there’,” said EllenBeth Wachs, Atheists of Florida spokesperson. “Please just acknowledge that."
As if people don't realize "there are a lot of world views". :rolleyes: So they acknowledge it. Super. Mission accomplished. Now what? :bigwhoop:

People like that make me embarrassed to be an atheist because their retarded causes weaken the serious issues.

Cowgirl

I pretty much agree with what most of the posters here said. I don't believe, but I love Christmas. I don't care if people put up nativity scenes. Why would I? We can all believe what we want. I don't understand any group (religious or not) that tries to convert people one way or the other. Does it really affect me personally if my neighbor is religious? Nope.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Good post Vrai. You know where I stand on this so I won't make this "religious".

My position on this is that anyone, anywhere can believe whatever they want; JUST DON'T STOP ME FROM PRACTICING WHAT I BELIEVE! Nothing aggravates me more than people trying to stop others from putting up Christmas displays. I've never understood how people think the government is "condoning" a religion if they put up a Nativity scene at a school or government building.

I also say that, if one does not believe in or follow Christmas, that's fine; but they should have to report to work on December 25th! No holiday for them, plain & simple...:evil:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
FWIW, Christians in government should propose getting rid of Christmas as a paid day off of work and off school and thus ending Christmas bonuses and so forth.

Atheists will all suddenly, in unison...

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Hopefully this can be a serious and good thread, and won't turn into some dumb religious debate:

On my way home yesterday I was listening to some conservative pundit dude on the radio and he was talking about the "war on Christmas" and how atheists are trying to ruin it for everyone. The focus was some FL courthouse that put up a nativity scene outside on the lawn. Someone complained, so they invited all religious groups to contribute the the holiday decor.

An atheist group put up a nativity with something offensive, didn't catch exactly what but it was an animal in place of the baby Jesus in the manger or something like that, and there was a sign saying religion was evil, blah blah blah.

Anyway, the pundit was taking calls and hoping for atheists to explain to him why this was appropriate and why they loathe Christmas so much. And he was being seriously curious about it, not some hostile trapper bomb thrower. He had several atheist calls, but all of them were very much pro-Christmas, even though they don't necessarily celebrate it as the birth of Jesus. But they do put up the tree, some even go to church with their families, give presents, say "Merry Christmas", etc.

So I figured I might have better luck on here with you all. You atheists, do you celebrate Christmas? And/or are you offended by the nativity or other religious trappings? Is it appropriate to make government buildings recognize all religions at Christmas, including atheism, which isn't a religion at all, but is actually lack of religion?

Serious questions, so flame throwers need not apply because I'll just ignore you and possibly delete the thread if you can't have a civilized discussion. :jet:
I know I don't technically fall into your target group, but as an agnostic I like the Christmas pageantry. I think it would diminish the holiday to take the religious aspect out of it. This is especially true of the music, you don't have to be a Christian to think Handel's Messiah is a moving piece of work.
The other reason I prefer to keep religion in Christmas is it makes Christians want to be better people. A lot of them fall off during the year, but come this time of year they try harder to be nicer.

PrepH4U

Good post Vrai. You know where I stand on this so I won't make this "religious".

My position on this is that anyone, anywhere can believe whatever they want; JUST DON'T STOP ME FROM PRACTICING WHAT I BELIEVE! Nothing aggravates me more than people trying to stop others from putting up Christmas displays. I've never understood how people think the government is "condoning" a religion if they put up a Nativity scene at a school or government building.

I also say that, if one does not believe in or follow Christmas, that's fine; but they should have to report to work on December 25th! No holiday for them, plain & simple...:evil:

That is really a dumb statement!
Many christians have to work on Christmas whether they want to or not. :whistle:
Policemen, doctors, nurses, retail workers, military etc.,
Oh and it is a Federal paid holiday.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
FWIW, Christians in government should propose getting rid of Christmas as a paid day off of work and off school and thus ending Christmas bonuses and so forth.

"Halleluia! Halleluia!" :singer:
Larry, that's funny! :fixed:
I know I don't technically fall into your target group, but as an agnostic I like the Christmas pageantry. I think it would diminish the holiday to take the religious aspect out of it. This is especially true of the music, you don't have to be a Christian to think Handel's Messiah is a moving piece of work.
The other reason I prefer to keep religion in Christmas is it makes Christians want to be better people. A lot of them fall off during the year, but come this time of year they try harder to be nicer.
That was an excellent post! :buddies:
Many christians have to work on Christmas whether they want to or not. :whistle:
:whoosh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

No no! :smack: We are not arguing in this tread and saying people are dumb!!

I'm genuinely interested in where the atheists are with this. So far my suspicion has been confirmed, that they either outright enjoy or at least aren't offended by the nativities and religious aspects of Christmas.

So where's you rabble rousers? I know you're out there because the media can't possibly make these stories up, right? Or is it some weird government thing where one person has a fit and instead of telling them to piss up a rope, the government in question feels the need to validate their grinchiness?

pelers

I wouldn't stand up and say I'm an atheist, I'm just not particularly religious in any direction or another. Except for the shopping frenzies I do enjoy the Christmas season, I like rubbernecking at all the decorations people put up (ranging from very pretty to painfully tacky). I do tend to buy "Happy Holidays" cards just because not everyone I send cards to celebrates Christmas in particular. I doubt they would get upset if I sent "Christmas" cards instead of Yule, Hanukkah, or whatever they feel like celebrating cards but it does make my life a bit easier. I'll usually just buy whatever has the cutest design on it and is on sale :D

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
I'm agnostic but I was raised Christian. I love Christmas and while I'm ambivalent over the whole Jesus birthday stuff I'm a little more reserved when it comes to Santa. I find the whole "mall" Santa and children sitting in a strange man's lap very creepy, though I do like the Salvation Army santa.
I love spending time with family, giving gifts and decorating and donating to charity (though I try to do this year round I tend to do more around Christmas).
I do not like religious displays on government property. I think unless you are giving equal time to all religions then you are endorsing a religion. There is enough church and private property for religious displays. If the government must be in the business of promoting religion, which is what having a religious display on the property is doing, in my opinion, then promote them all, equally.

PrepH4U

I'm genuinely interested in where the atheists are with this. So far my suspicion has been confirmed, that they either outright enjoy or at least aren't offended by the nativities and religious aspects of Christmas.

So where's you rabble rousers? I know you're out there because the media can't possibly make these stories up, right? Or is it some weird government thing where one person has a fit and instead of telling them to piss up a rope, the government in question feels the need to validate their grinchiness?
:blushing:
Sorry! I didn't call him dumb though, I said his statement was dumb.
:angel:
Sorry Italian!

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

:roflmao:

Raised Christian, although not so much so. My Dad didn't go to church except for the potlucks. I stopped when I was considered old enough to chose. I enjoyed Christmas as a kid because it seemed magical, I got stuff and the tree was pretty, being the oldest and let in on the secret of no Santa, I got to help put out presents. Cool! Then having my own children and enjoying that...well..priceless. Coming or or having someone else come home for the holidays was always fantastic! I always remembered and reminded kids what the holiday was about though.

I say enjoy it if you want and if you don't, well, just don't try to ruin it for those who do. No matter why they do.

I do have to say, though, that going to a Christmas eve service is quite an experiance.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus

:yeahthat: I agree 100% on all fronts

jrt_ms1995

People like that make me embarrassed to be an atheist because their retarded causes weaken the serious issues.

:yeahthat:

There's d*cks and a$$hole$ in every group of anything, and their chief objective is to draw attention to themselves. That's what their display is about, nothing more.

Last edited: