Adoptee? Birth/First Parent?

FirstMom

A support/discussion group for adopted adults and birth/first parents will be forming early in 2011. An exact meeting place has not yet been decided, but will be soon and I will post the information.

If you are interested in participating in this group or know someone else who may be interested, please let me know in a private message.

Thank you.

First Mom

Last edited:

BOP

A support/discussion group for adopted adults and birth/first parents will be forming early in 2011. An exact meeting place has not yet been decided, but will be soon and I will post the information.

If you are interested in participating in this group or know someone else who may be interested, please let me know in a private message.

Thank you.

First Mom

I never realized that being adopted was so traumatic that they had to have a 12-step group for it.

My father used to tell me I was adopted...I only pray that were true. Still, never needed to go to meetings over it.

FirstMom

Actually, we don't expect that anyone not personally touched by adoption to understand. This is not a 12-step program, but a group for discussion and support as needed. There is a lot of information on the Web about the many issues that adoptees, birth families, and adoptive families face.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I was adopted and not traumatized over it...tried somewhat to look up my birthmother but Fla laws are very strict..I figure she is probably real old or dead by now so quit looking..but I am not worried about it.

Mikeru

I never realized that being adopted was so traumatic that they had to have a 12-step group for it.

My father used to tell me I was adopted...I only pray that were true. Still, never needed to go to meetings over it.

Actually, we don't expect that anyone not personally touched by adoption to understand.

This is the polite response to an ignorant idiot.

Last edited:

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

This YouTube video is a joke. Reunions are ugly but necessary things.

One issue that adoptees have is they can't get a copy of their real birth certificate and are denied information about themselves like health history because so state controls this information.

Great Movie - Secret and Lies.

Sorry not interested in the support group. Do a lot of reading on the subject helps alot.

Mikeru

Yes. But that's irrelevant, as seems rather obvious that that if abortion support groups are necessary for helping pregnant mothers with either deciding or dealing with having had an abortion, then why is it such a stretch that adoption support groups would exist?

Actually since an abortion results in a dead fetus, then logically adoption impacts the lives and emotions of more individuals than abortion does... so it makes even more sense that there would be support groups for it.

Abortion = Birth parent(s)
Adoption = Birth parent(s), adoptee, adoptive parent(s)

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion

I could see where it might bring up some issues in life if it was looked at the wrong way.

But for me, if I were adopted I would go if they had cookies and coffee or something at the meeting.. maybe beer and strippers would be better. '
Nothing makes a man feel more complete than to be enjoying a good beer while strippers give him lap dances.
The strippers could be adopted too, a win win.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Actually, we don't expect that anyone not personally touched by adoption to understand. This is not a 12-step program, but a group for discussion and support as needed. There is a lot of information on the Web about the many issues that adoptees, birth families, and adoptive families face.

It's hard for those who haven't been directly involved with an adoption to fully understand everything that's involved.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Yes. But that's irrelevant, as seems rather obvious that that if abortion support groups are necessary for helping pregnant mothers with either deciding or dealing with having had an abortion, then why is it such a stretch that adoption support groups would exist?

Actually since an abortion results in a dead fetus, then logically adoption impacts the lives and emotions of more individuals than abortion does... so it makes even more sense that there would be support groups for it.

Abortion = Birth parent(s)
Adoption = Birth parent(s), adoptee, adoptive parent(s)

That is why Secrets and Lies is such a good movie. It covers the issues with the Adoptee, the birthmothers acceptance of the birth child, the infertility issues associated with adoptee parents. Then throw in the extended family, birth parents children reaction to the reunion. When you throw in the new trend to multi-cultures with overseas adoption or test tube raised by gays or who knows who your daddy is, it is a real mess. Hey, but life would be pretty boring if we all grow up in a Let it to Beaver world.

Considering how many movies/stories main character involve orphans (especially children stores), it really is an issue. The only acceptable adoption is open. Many of the A. parents are a mess and the reason for adoption is very self centered which does not included the interest of the child. If you are not in the triad or close to someone who is, you are not likely to understand the issues.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

LOL, my father would often point out the city garbage can he claims they found me in! :twitch:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not adopted, but I'd imagine that it would be the same sort of group as with anyone else who is "different". They have twins groups, PFLAG groups, and biracial groups - why is it such a stretch that there would be a birth/adoptive parent group?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm not adopted, but I'd imagine that it would be the same sort of group as with anyone else who is "different". They have twins groups, PFLAG groups, and biracial groups - why is it such a stretch that there would be a birth/adoptive parent group?

It's not. It's just that some folks don't have a full understanding of what's involved with adoptions.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Here is how far the level of stupidity is getting on this issue:

Video - Surrogate Pregnancy in India - WSJ.com

Not sure if you need a WSJ subscription to view this. Bottomline is India is offering women to be implanted with American eggs to have babies for Americans as a business. Guess what, now Americans are outsourcing their children to India. Scary.

Last edited: