Potential Deadly Epidemic In Southern Maryland

royhobie

hobieflyer
When we think of a deadly epidemic we think of H1N1, H1N5 (which isn't here yet), the plague, and other life threatening diseases. However, Southern Maryland does have countless cases of this disease. It effects people of all ages. Particularly "children" from the Middle School age, through High School and usually levels of by the age of 27 if you survive it. It spikes from the last two years of High School to the first two years of College. What is it? It is called "Binge Drinking".

People that binge drink, drink to such excess that they typically loose memory of what or who they have been around. They would forget important items such as their wallet, purse or their cell phone. They are completely susceptible to sexual attack. They can not protect themselves in any way, shape or form. But yet binge drinking is apparently promoted by many bars for College age students just so they can make a buck. Binge drinking can become addictive and is thought to be cool or funny by many of the friends of these binge drinkers.

However, these so-called friends are the very people that have been known to steal from or sexually attack the impared person. For a person, which includes a business establishment to continue to serve an obviously intoxicated person and that person dies from alcohol poisiioning, the person that provided the excess alcohol can be charged with murder in the 2nd degree. For women, binge drinking is just as dangerous and just as deadly as a date rape drug. For young people at home, the majority of time parents would have no idea that their son or daughter is involved in this dangerous and potentially deadly behavior until it is too late; after they had something significant stolen, or they were sexually attacked. As this deadly behavior continues, it becomes a matter of time before a predator will observe the carelessness of their action and will take advantage of the person. In the high majority of the cases the victim will not remember how to identify the person who attacked him or her.

In most cases, people that binge drink don't call it that. They call it something else such as just getting blitzed once in a while and not see any harm in it. However, repeated behavior of such a action is always observed by people. People the binge drinkers typcially call "their friends". These so-called friends "pray upon the binge drinker" and waits patiently for the right moment to strike. The person that is praying upon the binge drinker will likely purchase them several drinks to keep them in, and worsen their imparied state. The person the binge drinker thought was his or her friend can quickly become a thief, rapist or a murderer. And if you don't think this happens, you should get better educated about binge drinking.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When we think of a deadly epidemic we think of H1N1, H1N5 (which isn't here yet), the plague, and other life threatening diseases. However, Southern Maryland does have countless cases of this disease. It effects people of all ages. Particularly "children" from the Middle School age, through High School and usually levels of by the age of 27 if you survive it. It spikes from the last two years of High School to the first two years of College. What is it? It is called "Binge Drinking".

People that binge drink, drink to such excess that they typically loose memory of what or who they have been around. They would forget important items such as their wallet, purse or their cell phone. They are completely susceptible to sexual attack. They can not protect themselves in any way, shape or form. But yet binge drinking is apparently promoted by many bars for College age students just so they can make a buck. Binge drinking can become addictive and is thought to be cool or funny by many of the friends of these binge drinkers.

However, these so-called friends are the very people that have been known to steal from or sexually attack the impared person. For a person, which includes a business establishment to continue to serve an obviously intoxicated person and that person dies from alcohol poisiioning, the person that provided the excess alcohol can be charged with murder in the 2nd degree. For women, binge drinking is just as dangerous and just as deadly as a date rape drug. For young people at home, the majority of time parents would have no idea that their son or daughter is involved in this dangerous and potentially deadly behavior until it is too late; after they had something significant stolen, or they were sexually attacked. As this deadly behavior continues, it becomes a matter of time before a predator will observe the carelessness of their action and will take advantage of the person. In the high majority of the cases the victim will not remember how to identify the person who attacked him or her.

In most cases, people that binge drink don't call it that. They call it something else such as just getting blitzed once in a while and not see any harm in it. However, repeated behavior of such a action is always observed by people. People the binge drinkers typcially call "their friends". These so-called friends "pray upon the binge drinker" and waits patiently for the right moment to strike. The person that is praying upon the binge drinker will likely purchase them several drinks to keep them in, and worsen their imparied state. The person the binge drinker thought was his or her friend can quickly become a thief, rapist or a murderer. And if you don't think this happens, you should get better educated about binge drinking.

Someone needs to pray for these young binge drinkers. And the people preying on them as well.

FirstMom

I want to thank you for starting this thread. Indeed, this is an important topic and great harm is wreaking havic on our young people. Personally, I feel there needs to be a solid educational campaign, not only geared toward our children, but also to the parent population of young and adolescent children. Too many parents allow their underaged children to drink at home because they feel it is a safe place for experimentation. MADD needs more of our support to demand the advertising that targets the younger crowd is stopped. We can all demand our children not be enticed through advertising toward alcohol consumption. Look how public pressure got the attention of the lawmakers regarding the caffeine laced alcohol drinks. Within a short time these products are gone!

TurboK9

I want to thank you for starting this thread. Indeed, this is an important topic and great harm is wreaking havic on our young people. Personally, I feel there needs to be a solid educational campaign, not only geared toward our children, but also to the parent population of young and adolescent children. Too many parents allow their underaged children to drink at home because they feel it is a safe place for experimentation. MADD needs more of our support to demand the advertising that targets the younger crowd is stopped. We can all demand our children not be enticed through advertising toward alcohol consumption. Look how public pressure got the attention of the lawmakers regarding the caffeine laced alcohol drinks. Within a short time these products are gone!

Interesting that you bring up 'drinking at home'.

I spent several years in Germany. There, it is common for minors to drink wine or beer with a meal, etc. They do not have the underage drinking issues we have. I would guess this has something to do with it not being taboo there, and thus, not a big deal in a teen's mind. No excitement, no 'breaking the rules'... Perhaps it is similar to the 'prohibition effect'. You illegalize, ban, etc. people do it anyway, and to a greater excess, with less responsibilty. It goes from being "ho hum have a glass of wine" to "hey! I got me a liter of gin! Let's sneak off and get drunk!".

:shrug:

I grew up being allowed to have a little wine, etc at holidays and special occasions. Not 'drinking parties' mind you, but casual, limited... Never drank at HS house parties, I was the guy with the six pack of Coke and bag of Doritoes that made sure nobody drove drunk, etc. Didn't do a "I'm 21! Let's get hammered!", and to this day, don't drink much.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with teaching responsibility with alchohol prior to 21. Much prior, even. I think the issue occurs when it's banned until 21, then suddenly OK to have as much as you want. :shrug:

Just sayin'.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
You make it sound like binge drinkers are victims, yet this "disease", like drug addiction, is 100% preventable if they take responsibility for themselves and don't do it in the first place. No one's holding a gun to their heads. If they don't binge drink, they will stay sober and won't be susceptible to blackouts nor will they be victimized by thieves, rapists and murdererers preying on their sorry, drunk butts! :smack:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
:blahblah::blahblah:

overwrought parenting. More things to worry about and fuss over that are pretty freakin normal.

I am not sure why it makes people feel so gooood to freak out abut ridiculous things, but drinking is not new, and its stupid to act like every teen gets raped or beat up. It is far better to teach your child some fundamental safety rules, than it is to try to scare them with "you are going to get jumped and raped, and then eaten by a bear if you drink." I feel sorry for kids whose parents have ridiculous ideas about "safety campaigns" and "lets get rid of all drinks that have colors on them, because we KNOW teens like colors."...because I can absolutely promise you..those are the parents of the kids I dragged in from the quad puking on themselves, or had to stop from going to a dorm with a dude they just met, or had to check their heartrate when their roomate is freaking out. They get to college and go hog wild, and have 0 sense of any safety rules, or their own tolerance level to alcohol. I saw it with my own eyes. You don't go from never having a drink, to doing power hour with 151 and have that turn out ok.

"binge drinking" is some new buzzword to get parents overwrought and up in arms...its just a new word for drinking to get drunk..which is what most teens and young people do. They aren't going to parties to taste the new vintage :eyeroll: Why not let your teen have a glass of wine on a special occasion? or a small drink or two on christmas? Besides the fact that it is perfectly legal, it is a good gauge of what alcohol does, and a perfect opportunity to discuss with your children general safety rules. Like keeping track of the drinks you have and stopping at a good number..or the wonderful virtue of learning your level to avoid hangovers...or females needing to employ the buddy system at all times, having a secret text if they need "saving" ...NEVER, EVER getting in the car with someone drinking, keeping an extra 20 in the shoe or bra to take a cab if needed. hysterics and "educational campaigns" are imo a dangerous way to deal with what can be a very simple issue. Your teen/young person will likely drink. they will likely have a bad night or two before they figure out their tolerances...hopefully you can instill in them the way to do it safely, and they can have fun without regret.

TurboK9

:blahblah::blahblah:

overwrought parenting. More things to worry about and fuss over that are pretty freakin normal.

I am not sure why it makes people feel so gooood to freak out abut ridiculous things, but drinking is not new, and its stupid to act like every teen gets raped or beat up. It is far better to teach your child some fundamental safety rules, than it is to try to scare them with "you are going to get jumped and raped, and then eaten by a bear if you drink." I feel sorry for kids whose parents have ridiculous ideas about "safety campaigns" and "lets get rid of all drinks that have colors on them, because we KNOW teens like colors."...because I can absolutely promise you..those are the parents of the kids I dragged in from the quad puking on themselves, or had to stop from going to a dorm with a dude they just met, or had to check their heartrate when their roomate is freaking out. They get to college and go hog wild, and have 0 sense of any safety rules, or their own tolerance level to alcohol. I saw it with my own eyes. You don't go from never having a drink, to doing power hour with 151 and have that turn out ok.

"binge drinking" is some new buzzword to get parents overwrought and up in arms...its just a new word for drinking to get drunk..which is what most teens and young people do. They aren't going to parties to taste the new vintage :eyeroll: Why not let your teen have a glass of wine on a special occasion? or a small drink or two on christmas? Besides the fact that it is perfectly legal, it is a good gauge of what alcohol does, and a perfect opportunity to discuss with your children general safety rules. Like keeping track of the drinks you have and stopping at a good number..or the wonderful virtue of learning your level to avoid hangovers...or females needing to employ the buddy system at all times, having a secret text if they need "saving" ...NEVER, EVER getting in the car with someone drinking, keeping an extra 20 in the shoe or bra to take a cab if needed. hysterics and "educational campaigns" are imo a dangerous way to deal with what can be a very simple issue. Your teen/young person will likely drink. they will likely have a bad night or two before they figure out their tolerances...hopefully you can instill in them the way to do it safely, and they can have fun without regret.

:yay:

Problem... teaching responsible behavior requires parent interaction, getting out from in front of the TV or home from the bar. Good luck with that....

sunflower

Loving My Life...
My parent's didn't drink so it wasn't in the house to begin with. I never wanted to drink and still dont. I didn't hang out with other "kids" who drank. Maybe that has something to do with it :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I spent several years in Germany. There, it is common for minors to drink wine or beer with a meal, etc.

German kids are drunks in training. How else are they supposed to learn to hold their schnitzel if they don't start young?

TurboK9

German kids are drunks in training. How else are they supposed to learn to hold their schnitzel if they don't start young?

Ein halb haunchen und ein curry wurst.... mit der grosse heiffe weizen bitte.

Danke.

Shoooooot if you are tall enough to see over the bar, you can oerder, as long as you are with family.

Never really saw many drunk Germans outside the Fruhlings fest... most of the drunks I encountered when out bar hopping and clubbing were American GIs. :shrug:

TurboK9

Attachments

• BeerGoggles.jpg
    BeerGoggles.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 106

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Never really saw many drunk Germans outside the Fruhlings fest... most of the drunks I encountered when out bar hopping and clubbing were American GIs. :shrug:

Well duh. That's because American kids don't grow up with schnapps in their bedtime bottle. They learn to hold their liquor, appearing stable even when they're piss drunk, much later in life.

TurboK9

Well duh. That's because American kids don't grow up with schnapps in their bedtime bottle. They learn to hold their liquor, appearing stable even when they're piss drunk, much later in life.

That, and they learn to hold their bladders too, so they can spend the whole night pounding brew and never need to get off the bar stool to pee. Hard to look drunk when you are quietly sitting there, :lmao: