Bird statues in somd?

Ohiogirl

Ya know the ones that are hideously painted and placed by the road in shopping centers and such. Why are they there? Please tell me they benefited cures for childhood cancer or some other good cause.

glhs837

Power with Control
Herons, they are, and yes, as I recall, they were for some sort of Chesapeake Bay benefit program. For the Blue Herons, but more details than that I dont know.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
All of the statues were painted and designed by local school children and then auctioned off to the highest bidder in order to raise money for the Chesapeake Bay. A winner all around, and a sign that you are frequenting a business that gives back to the community.

nomoney

Ya know the ones that are hideously painted and placed by the road in shopping centers and such. Why are they there? Please tell me they benefited cures for childhood cancer or some other good cause.

It depends, some are for charity as other posters have posted. Some however are for the annual somd scavenger hunt. Many cool prizes this year! If you've found the one painted like Grimace you could win a Wii!! Pm Kwillia for more info on how to sign up!!

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
There was a contest/fund raiser and different artists painted the herons in theme's about So. MD. You have to look at them closely to see all the smaller paintings done on them. There are some very beautiful ones around.

Other area/cities have done the same thing - including the Penguin Parade in Youngstown Ohio:

kay1805

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It depends, some are for charity as other posters have posted. Some however are for the annual somd scavenger hunt. Many cool prizes this year! If you've found the one painted like Grimace you could win a Wii!! Pm Kwillia for more info on how to sign up!!

I didn't think it was a Wii, I thought she said you could play with her X-Box..

Either way I was pissed. I found ALL of the items but the damn bird. I was SOOO close to winning.

Don't know where she found the great sponsors but what a buttload of awesome prizes. Hope KWILLA comes through for us again next year.

Ohiogirl

Ohio, why do you hate the children? :mad:

I don't hate the children! I just really dislike their artwork...I know, mean. I'm glad to know the sculptures benefited a good cause..I'll keep that in mind everytime I drive by one and have the urge to run it over with my car :)

The scavenger hunt sounds fun too.

belvak

Happy Camper
I don't hate the children! I just really dislike their artwork...I know, mean. I'm glad to know the sculptures benefited a good cause..I'll keep that in mind everytime I drive by one and have the urge to run it over with my car :)

Just close your eyes every time you drive by one!!!! Then you won't have to look at them!!

bohman

Lots of cities/communities have done similar things. I think it started in Chicago with cow sculptures? Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about that. Elkton, MD has - you guessed it - elk statues. If you don't like the herons, I'd hate to see what you think about the elks. They're life size, you can't miss them!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Yes. I won't take it personally since my child painted one when she was 5. Not everyone has the same taste :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Lots of cities/communities have done similar things. I think it started in Chicago with cow sculptures? Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about that. Elkton, MD has - you guessed it - elk statues. If you don't like the herons, I'd hate to see what you think about the elks. They're life size, you can't miss them!

And MOST of these cities (not SOMD that I know of) you can get a map of all of their painted animals (Erie PA is Fish) and actually do a day tour of the city and see them all, read their plaques and meanings and who did them, and see parts of the city a tourist normally wouldn't see.

I want to say I've seen Cows before but I've never been to Chicago so I don't know where I would have seen them.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Ya know the ones that are hideously painted and placed by the road in shopping centers and such. Why are they there?

Where are they? :confused:

I remember the seahorses from years ago (I liked them) but don't recall seeing any bird statues. If they are that hideous, I think I'd notice.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, lets see, where are the darn things?

1. The Taj MaEducation, otherwise known as the SMCPS headquarters in L-Town.

2. One of the businesses on Great Mills road, maybe the dentist near Jiffylube.

3. SMECO?