PS3 Flight Simulator

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
So my son has asked for a PS3 game that would be like a flight simulator.

Does anyone have one? Can you recommend a game?

UGH kids... :lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
I would take those review scores with a grain of salt. Having played one of them, it wasnt that great. Take those names into Google and add review, see what pops up.

TurboK9

So my son has asked for a PS3 game that would be like a flight simulator.

Does anyone have one? Can you recommend a game?

UGH kids... :lmao:

All the console games for flight are way "arcady". They are games, not simulators, is why.

Do you have a desktop PC? He'd be better way off with a PC sim and nice flight stick setup if he is looking for even a semi-realistic experience. :yay:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I would take those review scores with a grain of salt. Having played one of them, it wasnt that great. Take those names into Google and add review, see what pops up.
Thats my problem, my son has always said the reviews are never right. Needless to say I don't play any games, so I don't wanna just pick anyone and then it suck...

glhs837

Power with Control
Well how good the games are for him are going to depend heavily on what he wants out of it. A lot of that can be deduced from which ones he enjoys now, that shows what aspects of a flight sim he likes.

Me for instance, I love driving games, but not simulator types, I reserve that level of learning for real driving. like my driving games to be a bit "arcadey", with a few jumps, and preferably some weapons, maybe some running from the law. :) But I"m picky that way.

So, what games in this genre does he own and love?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Well how good the games are for him are going to depend heavily on what he wants out of it. A lot of that can be deduced from which ones he enjoys now, that shows what aspects of a flight sim he likes.

Me for instance, I love driving games, but not simulator types, I reserve that level of learning for real driving. like my driving games to be a bit "arcadey", with a few jumps, and preferably some weapons, maybe some running from the law. :) But I"m picky that way.

So, what games in this genre does he own and love?

He doesn't own any flight simulator games, he currently has All the Halo's, GTA, Dead rising. Ugh now I can't think of any more names.. LOL

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
All the console games for flight are way "arcady". They are games, not simulators, is why.

Do you have a desktop PC? He'd be better way off with a PC sim and nice flight stick setup if he is looking for even a semi-realistic experience. :yay:

Hmm ok, he did mention that I could get it for the PC as well.
He went to some field trip were they had a flight simulator and thought it was really cool. Thats where this is stemming from... LOL

TurboK9

Hmm ok, he did mention that I could get it for the PC as well.
He went to some field trip were they had a flight simulator and thought it was really cool. Thats where this is stemming from... LOL

:yay:

You can get some nice flight stick type controllers for the PC. As far as sims go, MS Flight Simulator is :yay: for realism. There are several combat simulators that model everything from modern jets back to WW1 erabiplanes, depending on interest.

I prefer WWII era myself :biggrin:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
:yay:

You can get some nice flight stick type controllers for the PC. As far as sims go, MS Flight Simulator is :yay: for realism. There are several combat simulators that model everything from modern jets back to WW1 erabiplanes, depending on interest.

I prefer WWII era myself :biggrin:

Now that sounds like what he was talking about, where would I find these items?

Thank you

TurboK9

Now that sounds like what he was talking about, where would I find these items?

Thank you

Online or through bestbuy?

General flight: Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Jet Combat: Falcon 4.0
WWII: Il-2 1946

Oh and also for modern jet comabat, LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat)

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Online or through bestbuy?

General flight: Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Jet Combat: Falcon 4.0
WWII: Il-2 1946

Oh and also for modern jet comabat, LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat)

You are the Best, thank you

To Best Buy I shall go and act like I know what I am talking about. :whistle:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

In the future, Gamestop also has guaranteed used working games that are half to 1/3rd the price of new ones. If your kid doesn't have to be the first on the block with a new game he could probably get 2-3 games for the price of a new one and Gamestop will replace any used game that doesn't work if they sold it to you. You could consider buying him a gift-card and take him there to look and decide! Just options to consider...:buddies:

hawkeye52

Suggestion List

It is great he wants to get a flight simulator he might learn something from! Played from when I was little and turned into a career. Here are suggestions from a long time flight simmer who loves things about arcade versions and "hardcore" simulators.

What kind of PC are you running with? I'd be careful what game you get and find out you are not able to run the game you got. Feel free to PM me if you want any more help to make sure your PC can run it and such:

PC Games.... ( You should be able to find these at Best Buy)
My Current Favorite:
- Lock On: Platinum: A great mondern jet combat flight simulator that has realism settings so that it can be as easy or as realitic as you want. It's a steal right now:
- DCS Black Shark - ultra realistic helicopter simulator
- Flight Simulator X - non-combat general flight simulator - be aware that Flight! (the new flight simulator version will be out early next year)
- IL-2 1946 - combat WW2 simulator with tons of aircraft, realism from arcade to full simulator
- Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - Upgraded version of the greatest flight sims out there, ultra realistic model of the F-16 but has dificulty settings so that you can make it easier to fly and shoot at things

PS3
- IL-2 Birds of Prey - A console version of the above IL-2 1946 but with much less aircraft, can be very realistic depending on the dificulty set
- HAWX2 - Modern jet arcade flight sim, tons of action not much sim :)

PS3 or PC
- Apache Air Assault - Amazingly fun arcadish helicopter game with a decent flight model and fun missions

It sounds like he wants a decent flight sim, and for the best balance of fun, learning, realism, I would go for Lock On - Platinum.

Oh and I forgot to mention, for the PC it is really important to get a flight stick with it. The games are super cheap compared to latest games standards ($10-15 for PC flight sims vs $60 for newest console games).

Logitech Extreme - Has all the basics, twist for rudder, small slider for throttle, and for a great price. of course, you could go crazier, much crazier, but that would get you going. So assuming the PC can handle it, Joystick + Lock On for under $50 isn't bad :)

Last edited: