any ideas of pay range

sailaway

My friends 18 year old son is moving into the area (Prince Frederick/Dunkirk). He wants to get a job so he can save up for college. Does anyone have any clue how much retail stores/restaurants in this area pay an 18 year old, high school grad, no college yet, 2 years work experience? He was making around 15 per hour before - I told him I don't think he will make anywhere near that in this area.

TIA

Toxick

Splat
My friends 18 year old son is moving into the area (Prince Frederick/Dunkirk). He wants to get a job so he can save up for college. Does anyone have any clue how much retail stores/restaurants in this area pay an 18 year old, high school grad, no college yet, 2 years work experience? He was making around 15 per hour before - I told him I don't think he will make anywhere near that in this area.

TIA

It'll be a miracle if he can get a job at all around here. They're not easy to come by these days.

It'll be a miracle if he can get a job at all around here. They're not easy to come by these days.

:yeahthat: I know grown adults that have had to make a career out of working the cash register at Wawa for fear of losing the only job they had opportunity to land.

pelers

Sadly he'll probably be competing with plenty of people who DO have college degrees and are unable to get jobs they are actually qualified for.

If he's making $15/hr where he is now I'd really suggest he stay.

Toxick

Splat
:yeahthat: I know grown adults that have had to make a career out of working the cash register at Wawa for fear of losing the only job they had opportunity to land.

Why don't you just draw a map for everyone right to where I work.

Jeez.

FED_UP

TIA

Average worker in St Marys sheetz, Mckays etc I would guess is making about 7.25 to 8 bucks an hour. Who these days would leave a 15 dollar and hour job? I rember a few years ago our garbage man said he was making 15 bucks an hour, so he might want to check into being a professional garbage collector :shrug: by the way does anyone know what the average cost is per year for college these days?

Last edited:

Homer J

Power Chord
Navy Exchange starts their seasonal help at $7.75 per hour. He'll be lucky to find anything near the $15.

sailaway

too funny

Average worker in St Marys sheetz, Mckays etc I would guess is making about 7.25 to 8 bucks an hour. Who these days would leave a 15 dollar and hour job? I rember a few years ago our garbage man said he was making 15 bucks an hour, so he might want to check into being a professional garbage collector :shrug: by the way does anyone know what the average cost is per year for college these days?

My husband runs a trash company - the drivers make very good money - around 70- 80k a year. When my nephew heard this he wanted to drop out of college and become a driver. I had to crush his dream - he's color blind so he can't get be a driver and those guys have years of experience. My father paid his way thru college as a trash collector. That is one job that will always be around and always pay well.

FED_UP

My husband runs a trash company - the drivers make very good money - around 70- 80k a year. When my nephew heard this he wanted to drop out of college and become a driver. I had to crush his dream - he's color blind so he can't get be a driver and those guys have years of experience. My father paid his way thru college as a trash collector. That is one job that will always be around and always pay well.

His dream job of collecting trash got crushed :cds: Let me see he came home one day and said "mom I am dropping out of college to pursue a career in garbage. :killingme Did you explain to him that most women will not even look at a garbage man.

Last edited:

sailaway

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was actually just speaking to him and he might already have a job! It just needs to be cleared with the other manager. I asked him about the pay - he said he has no clue - on the app when they asked about pay he put down flexable. I just told him what you guys posted. I don't think he believes me. As for staying at his old job, not an option, the family is moving out of the area and he can not afford to get his own place and save up for college. Of course at the rate of $7 per hour he better start filling out financial aid and student loan forms.

sailaway

i did

His dream job of collecting trash got crushed :cds: Let me see he came home one day and said "mom I am dropping out of college to pursue a career in garbage. :killingme Did you explain to him that most women will not even look at a garbage man.

I not only looked, I married the trash man! Of course, it is the running joke with my friends and family.

FED_UP

Perhaps not, but they will look at $70 - 80K/year. That's more than some of the computer professionals in the area.

So a professional garbage collector would have to disclose his W-2 before dating. I really think all men should carry a current W-2 around with them, it will save everyone time. :killingme