What is that marker on Clover Hill Rd.?

stckyfngrs

On Clover Hill Rd., just off of 235 across the street from the back exit to Cook's liquor store, there is a cement marker that stands about 3 feet tall. What is it?

bigman315

they will probably remove it if they ever connect the walking / biking trail from laurel grove to hollywood.....it is supposed to go on old railroad path

Last edited:

Justme2

Without a pic

My best guess it is a Land "Monument" for a land engineer to work off of to mark land plots. When somebody asked for the land to be surveyed. That's what they used to use before they came up with the metal ones the put in the ground. Does it look a little like a small Washington Monument with a point on top?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My best guess it is a Land "Monument" for a land engineer to work off of to mark land plots. When somebody asked for the land to be surveyed. That's what they used to use before they came up with the metal ones the put in the ground. Does it look a little like a small Washington Monument with a point on top?

:dingding:

I like to move those when ever I come across them. Used to love moving the Phelps Dodge mining survey markers out in AZ. I hated that co.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I like to move those when ever I come across them. Used to love moving the Phelps Dodge mining survey markers out in AZ. I hated that co.

:jet:... OMG... no you dont!!!!
ooohhhhh.... Im gonna :spank: you for that... that makes my job a nightmare when we go to survey something! :jerry:

OldHillcrestGuy

it could be an old railroad mile marker

Thats exactly what it is, its along the old railroad right away. When they built the trail thru Charlotte Hall they left the markers in place. Some of the markers have a 'W' on them, I believe that was to alert the engineer to blow the whistle, because they were approaching a road crossing.

LocoEngineer

railroad markers

They are mile posts which are three-sided and have double digits indicating the mileage from Brandywine (I think). The taller thinner ones with the W are wistle posts which alert the engineer to blow the wistle at an upcomming road crossing, the third type is a small four-sided marker which has ROW (for Right of Way) and USN on the opposite side that marked the boundaries of the railroad's property.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
On Clover Hill Rd., just off of 235 across the street from the back exit to Cook's liquor store, there is a cement marker that stands about 3 feet tall. What is it?

Did Cook's liquor store used to be Mike's liquors store?