Boycotting counties with Cameras

SD1492

So what are you going to do when they start putting them in down here? It's just a matter of time. I hate them damn things too, but it's just they way it is. Now if they start putting in the ones that are for speeding, I will have to get a horse and buggy.

bcp

In My Opinion
So what are you going to do when they start putting them in down here? It's just a matter of time. I hate them damn things too, but it's just they way it is. Now if they start putting in the ones that are for speeding, I will have to get a horse and buggy.

poo lights are not far behind. pun intended

glhs837

Power with Control
A few points.

1. Easy to say "Dont run a red light", until, of course, you get a citation for a light you didnt run, and the appeal process is artifically odious, becuase appeals that actually make it into court cost money, and its ALL about money.

2. Easy to say "No problem if you dont run a red light", until you get involved in an accident that wouldnt have happened, except folks change their behavior around these things, and stop when you would not expect them to go, slamming them on hard. Or they dont expect you to. There have been many studies showing that these do NOT improve safety. The only ones that dont are funded by the industry. Virginias own traffic research branch reached this conclusion a few years back, after studying the cams VA installed back then. VA has recenty seen some emplaced again. For money, obviously, since they ignored thier own research. Its about money, after all.

3. Easy to say "Thats the way it goes", but it doesnt have to. These things are placed by cnouty govvernment, and count on citizen indifference to enable them to get away with it. The camera company repa come to town, buy a few dinners, show huge projected revenues, and its off to the races. The second I see the County Comisioners are entertaining such a program, I plan to organize a stiff resistance.

Oh, and the companies that run these things do cheat a lot. Out of calibration cameras, shorted yellow lights, it endemic. Thats why law enforcement for profit is a bad idea, it encourages the enforcers to break the law in the name of profit.

glhs837

Power with Control
For those of you who dont get that these machines are about money, not safety, do some reading. Note the author takes great pains to document the issues.

Maryland Speed Cameras

School zones made up just for cams, speed limits lowered just for cams, all sorts of shenanigans.

Vince

Just dont run red lights and you'll be ok.
Saw one on Rt 301. Guy ahead of me just got his truck about half cross the white line before he could stop and I saw the camera take the picture. He didn't actually run the light, but crossed the line and the camera still got him.

spike2763

A few points.

Easy to say "No problem if you dont run a red light", until you get involved in an accident that wouldnt have happened, except folks change their behavior around these things, and stop when you would not expect them to go, slamming them on hard. 3Oh, and the companies that run these things do cheat a lot. Out of calibration cameras, shorted yellow lights, it endemic. Thats why law enforcement for profit is a bad idea, it encourages the enforcers to break the law in the name of profit.

Than those people are either:
1. Going to fast
2. Are distracted and not paying attention

Either way it is thier fault

I agree it's really a money maker for the county, but you can not excuse careless driving on cameras

glhs837

Power with Control
Than those people are either:
1. Going to fast
2. Are distracted and not paying attention

Either way it is thier fault

I agree it's really a money maker for the county, but you can not excuse careless driving on cameras

I am not excusing careless driving. The fact is that where cameras are placed, it changes the behavior of drivers in such a way that accidents increase. Like short yellows, folks have an idea of how things usually happen, and stuff outside those expectations lead to an increase in accidents. It has also been shown in studies by the NHTSA that the most effective method of decreasing red light accidents is lengthening the yellow by 1/2 to 1 second. But that makes no money.

officeguy

Saw one on Rt 301. Guy ahead of me just got his truck about half cross the white line before he could stop and I saw the camera take the picture. He didn't actually run the light, but crossed the line and the camera still got him.

And he wont get a ticket. The camera takes two pictures (some of the modern ones also take a little video clip). You only get the ticket if your vehicle actually continues into the intersection.

officeguy

I am not excusing careless driving. The fact is that where cameras are placed, it changes the behavior of drivers in such a way that accidents increase.

The number of rear-end collisions at the lights increase for the reasons you mentioned. The number of deadly T-bone type collisions decreases.

There have been communities where the city has shortened the yellow phase to increase revenue, there are clear rules on that (depending on the speed limit and city/highway designation) and every time that has happened their tickets have been thrown out in court.

I have no problem with the county generating revenue out of speeding or red-light cameras. The roads have to be paved, the widows and orphans have to be fed. When given the options of taxing property or carelessness, I prefer the latter.

glhs837

Power with Control
You are the citizen they count on. The studies show that deadly t-bones are not as prevelant as you might think, and the increase in rear end collisions end up actually costing more, and causing more injuries. And both conditions can be more effectivley reduced through the simple increase of red light times. The simplest solution is best, I think. And stands no chance of ensnaring innocent citizens into a no way out trap.

If it were about safety, there would be points, or high fines, instead its a low fine and no points. That way folks dont fight it.

vince77

I got a $100 speed camera ticket in DC..(16 mph over the speed limit... 61 in a 45 zone)... Didn't pay much attention to the speed limit sign or realize there was one there and wondered why the few cars traveling through there were going so slow.

Next time I'll go the speed limit. Pretty simple really, don't speed and be prepared to safely stop when approaching traffic signals and it won't be a problem for you....Within 20 years they'll be built right into the roads.....