How sad for St. Mary's...

pearlie369

UnStAbLe YeT sAfE
Bay Books in Wildewood is closing. Now the only book store in St Mary's will be the used book store in Leonardtown, and the one in Lexington Park that has the newspapers from 1972 in the front window, but that's a different thread altogether. I personally loved Bay Books they always have the new and sometimes obscure releases. Guess the internet wins again.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Bay Books in Wildewood is closing. Now the only book store in St Mary's will be the used book store in Leonardtown, and the one in Lexington Park that has the newspapers from 1972 in the front window, but that's a different thread altogether. I personally loved Bay Books they always have the new and sometimes obscure releases. Guess the internet wins again.

Too bad the proprietors could not make it. Just goes to show all the bioching new comers that this area just doesn't support a book store.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Book stores are dying all over, its not just in SoMd.

I'll blame that on e-readers, just like the video stores going bye bye. you can even go online and order groceries. Pretty soon no one will leave their house. Kidding of course, but it's just a sign of the times.

Pete

Repete
I'll blame that on e-readers, just like the video stores going bye bye. you can even go online and order groceries. Pretty soon no one will leave their house. Kidding of course, but it's just a sign of the times.

I just ordered a pack of cigarettes from Burchmart on the internet. They should be here any minute.

lisa8439

I will never understand why we can get a million restaurants and stores to come here, but no bookstore... I liked Bay Books, have been in there several times but I will say that they only had what I was looking for once - the rest of the times they offered to order it, but truth be told *I* could order it (and for less, not to mention get it quicker most of the time) I just wanted to support them if they had the copy on hand. The magazine section was a bit sparse too... but overall it was a nice little bookstore.

Personally (and small mom and pop peeps, don't hate me for this!) I would like to see a Barnes and Noble down here - my in-laws have one near their house and whenever we go visit, they always have some cute little kids' program, like a fancy Nancy party or American Girl 'sleepover' - all just half an hour or so, free, and the kids get cute little crafts/take home items and get to meet other kids. They have lots for older kids as well - and I like to just browse in there. I don't understand why this area can't get one, or even a Borders, to come close to us. Beats the heck out of me.

Sad for Bay Books though - I will miss them for the kids' books.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Bummer. Roy Dyson even showed up when my daughter held the book signing for her first novel there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kindle, Nook, IPad = Job and business killers ...

Just as buggy whip makers are now obsolete.

I used to try and throw some business Bay Books' way because I just like to support local businesses. But they never had anything I was looking for. Said they could order it - well, *I* can order it.

Sorry to lose a local store, but the business models of 20 years ago are no longer successful. Evolve or die.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I just ordered a pack of cigarettes from Burchmart on the internet. They should be here any minute.

Funny, when I used to deliver pizza, people would ask if the driver could stop at the Fast Stop and get them smokes and beer.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Same here... I would go in and ask for fairly popular books and they would never have them but always offer to order them - often for much more than I can Amazon it for!

Some may say 'bummer' but when was the last time anyone of us bought a book at Bay Books?

me = never They just never had what I wanted!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
That stinks. They always had all of the required materials for English classes. They'd coordinate with the middle and high school teachers ahead of time.

Although I adore Borders (coffee and cushy chairs!), they'd frequently need to order books, and they're huge.

nobody really

I need a nap
I will never understand why we can get a million restaurants and stores to come here, but no bookstore... I liked Bay Books, have been in there several times but I will say that they only had what I was looking for once - the rest of the times they offered to order it, but truth be told *I* could order it (and for less, not to mention get it quicker most of the time) I just wanted to support them if they had the copy on hand. The magazine section was a bit sparse too... but overall it was a nice little bookstore.

Personally (and small mom and pop peeps, don't hate me for this!) I would like to see a Barnes and Noble down here - my in-laws have one near their house and whenever we go visit, they always have some cute little kids' program, like a fancy Nancy party or American Girl 'sleepover' - all just half an hour or so, free, and the kids get cute little crafts/take home items and get to meet other kids. They have lots for older kids as well - and I like to just browse in there. I don't understand why this area can't get one, or even a Borders, to come close to us. Beats the heck out of me.

Sad for Bay Books though - I will miss them for the kids' books.

my feelings exactly....

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Kindle, Nook, IPad = Job and business killers ...

I guess it depends on your point of view. Thanks to e-readers, ANYBODY can be an author/publisher. One of my friends is doing very well off the proceeds from several books he's written and published via Amazon for the Kindle.