Common Decency..

JLS

Can I just say - this is the 4th time this year that someone has hit my mailbox and I've had to replace it .. Can I just ask - if you accidently hit someones mailbox - or if ur avoiding deer or whatever.. at least have the sack enough to tell the owners what happened..

CalvertActiv

Can I just say - this is the 4th time this year that someone has hit my mailbox and I've had to replace it .. Can I just ask - if you accidently hit someones mailbox - or if ur avoiding deer or whatever.. at least have the sack enough to tell the owners what happened..

Put in heavy steel pipe anchored by concrete. When they hit it next time they won't have a choice.

ciwmj

Put in heavy steel pipe anchored by concrete. When they hit it next time they won't have a choice.

Many years ago ,my father had a problem with some numbskulls pulling his signpost out of the ground and hauling it away. His fix was to weld cross bars on a steel post and burying the post about 3 feet deep. The next morning there was a length of chain and a rear bumper of a car at the end of his driveway, but the sign post was still there ,undamaged.Nuff said !:evil:

Last edited:

Vince

Yeah, they've busted mine up twice this year. Screwed the last one back together and keep a spare post and box in the garage. Wish I could catch them. :shrug:

C

CalvertNewbie

OMG, if I were you I think I'd have gotten a PO Box by now. What a pita and how inconsiderate of people. Do you live on a main road with a lot of traffic or do you think it's someone you've angered in the past? I'd be starting to wonder! :killingme Just kidding. :buddies:

My mailbox got run over by a snow plow! Not granny by a reindeer.

Mine too, last year as I was outside cleaning off my truck. The plow operater was waving to me, I was waving back and BAM! That thing flew about 25 feet across my yard, Christmas decorations flying off it as it flew. :killingme And he just kept on going, taking out many of the neighbor's mailboxes as he drove.

TurboK9

Many years ago ,my father had a problem with some numbskulls pulling his signpost out of the ground and hauling it away. His fix was to weld cross bars on a steel post and burying the post about 3 feet deep. The next morning there was a length of chain and a rear bumper of a car at the end of his driveway, but the sign post was still there ,undamaged.Nuff said !:evil:

Reminds me of the year my dad 'electrified' our halloween pumpkin to keep the teens from smashing it.

Every now and then, late at night, you'd here expletives tear through the darkness. :lmao:

Of course, nothing stopped them from egging the house in retaliation, but my dad didn't seem to mind. :roflmao:

Either mount it on a piece of 6" iron pipe that is mounted in, and filled with, concrete or if you want it to be mounted on wood, get an 8' 6x6, bury it 4' in the ground, on a 6" concrete pad, surrounded on all sides by 4" of concrete. Either one of these, when hit by a car, will stop the car.

Mdbtyhtr

Lowes also sells a mailbox that has a picture of a guy hitting it with a baseball bat and vibrating his arms! My initial question would be, are you the only one on your street to have the damage? If you are, you have additional issues. If it was random then it is usually kids riding around bored. Damaging a mail receptacle s a Federal Offense because the mail box is Federal Property, even though you bought it. Call the postal inspectors and file an official complaint. Be careful not to put yourself into a position of liability for a premeditated action.

Scott

Last edited:

sm8

Lowes also sells a mailbox that has a picture of a guy hitting it with a baseball bat and vibrating his arms! My initial question would be, are you the only one on your street to have the damage? If you are, you have additional issues. If it was random then it is usually kids riding around bored. Damaging a mail receptacle s a Federal Offense because the mail box is Federal Property, even though you bought it. Call the postal inspectors and file an official complaint. Be careful not to put yourself into a position of liability for a premeditated action.

Scott

I was thinking the same thing, could not recall exactly which law but you can get introuble I believe for endangerment.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, if I were to, say, line a cheapie looking mailbox with an inner shell of concrete two inches thick, that would get me in trouble how? I am not reading the "premeditated action" thing clearly. If someone were to hit that with a bat, and dislocated their shoulder, say, are you saying I could be liable?

Now, were an innocent motorist to crash into it, and receive greater injuries, I get that, but someone engaged in a criminal act?

So, if I were to, say, line a cheapie looking mailbox with an inner shell of concrete two inches thick, that would get me in trouble how? I am not reading the "premeditated action" thing clearly. If someone were to hit that with a bat, and dislocated their shoulder, say, are you saying I could be liable?

Now, were an innocent motorist to crash into it, and receive greater injuries, I get that, but someone engaged in a criminal act?

From the USPS website:
* For posts and supports, it’s up to you to keep them neat and adequate in strength and size. Ideally, its assembly should bend or fall away when struck by a vehicle. The Postal Service doesn’t regulate mailbox supports except for purposes of carrier safety and delivery efficiency. It’s also your responsibility to ensure a path is clear to your mailbox so that carriers can safely and efficiently deliver the mail.

Installation of curbside mailboxes must meet our specific construction standards, which you can find at your local Post Office™. For a copy of our standards (United States Postal Service STD-7B, Mailboxes, City and Rural Curbside), write to:

Mdbtyhtr

Citizens are sued all of the time by criminals that were injured while committing their act or crime. The post where a Pumpkin was electrified would be an example if an injury occurred. Discretion is that better part of valor.

Scott

BOP

Scott

New to Southern Maryland, are you?

:killingme

Mdbtyhtr

BOP,
Not new here, have lived in the 7th Circuit since 1974, moved to King George, Va 4 years ago. I stated to report it because that is also a precursor to a potential insurance claim, though deductibles would not be met. Also, the Postal Investigators do investigate and obtain convictions for just such offences. I have had personal experience with such. I am a PI and Bail Bondsman in MD and am very well aware of such goings on.

Scott
Maryland Bail Bonds, Private Investigators, Process Servers

glhs837

Power with Control
From the USPS website:

Citizens are sued all of the time by criminals that were injured while committing their act or crime. The post where a Pumpkin was electrified would be an example if an injury occurred. Discretion is that better part of valor.

Scott

GW, so, the way I read that, its not an issue. the post is adequate, and the box would indeed fall away. I did this years ago, actually, when I lived on Indian Bridge road, after my third mailbox got wacked by kids coming home from school with ball bats, I assume. Box was fine at lunch, by 345pm, it was smashed off the post. Three times, no tire tracks, and the box was far enough off that it wasnt a truck.

I know criminals sue, and sometimes, they win, but not often. The cases get press, but the outcomes are rarely publicised. Like the multimillion dollar hot coffee thing, which ended up I think under 50K after appeals. these days, I can buy a stock USPS qualified mailbox made out of steel that would give the same effect, so where is the liability? Valor? Discretion? No valor, no discretion. Simply protecting my mail and property in a way that is harmless to any law abiding citizen. If I install a steel door, and a punk trying to kick it in breaks his foot, would any jury convict? Not down here, I dont think.