Thank you SMC Sheriff's Dept

...for running radar on Wildewood Pkwy this afternoon. Although it will probably be a temporary thing, it might give the road racers here something to start thinking about. Even the school buses weren't exempt today. Sure could use more of it, though.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nah, not in this case, I don't think, Ed. This one seems to be a response to public complaints. Problem is, the speed limits there are too low, I think. On the main drag, anyway.

edinsomd

Point taken; I don't spend much time on WW PKWY. Any effect they have there will be short-lived, but showing the flag for the residents is understandable.

CrashTest

As someone who lives down there and has to turn left onto WW parkway to get out, I would rather see speeders. The occasional speeder creates a gap in the cars allowing folks to make a left turn. If everyone crawls along at 30mph, you sit for a long, long time trying to turn left because there's no gap in traffic.

Ultimately, I blame the county for issuing all those building permits for those new hoods down there without taking into account that the one-way-in, one-way-out, just doesn't cut it.

Zguy28

...for running radar on Wildewood Pkwy this afternoon. Although it will probably be a temporary thing, it might give the road racers here something to start thinking about. Even the school buses weren't exempt today. Sure could use more of it, though.
Now if they would just do it in Country Lakes up in Mechanicsville. Especially since all the Mech Road traffic is detouring through there because of the closure.

glhs837

Power with Control
You and a few of your neighbors need to call the Sheriff and complain about speeders. Thats why they are in WW. See, I think the the Sheriff isnt one to care about speeding unless its a safety issue, or a percieved one, at any rate. The incidence of stationary speed enforcement seems to me to have dropped off in the last two years. There used to be one in the parking lot of the "manufactured" home community on GMR about every couple of months, same with Willows just south of the church. 235 on a weekend morning. But all of that seems to have sort of gone by the wayside, I'm happy to report. Or at least dropped off considerably.

L

letmetellyou

How many police are they supposed to dedicate to this? Isn't the state police's duty for traffic control?

BernieP

Resident PIA

I lock my cruise control on 30. Both the Mrs. & I are religious about the speed limit there because the "sidewalk" is not seperated from the road by a curb, but rather a white line.
We love the folks that run up our azz. Which has allowed us to note the sections they turn into.
Three areas and all are the "new" sections
1. The new military housing section behind the pool.
2. Dahilia Court
3. and then on down to the other Stanely Martin high rises and the school

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ultimately, I blame the county for issuing all those building permits for those new hoods down there without taking into account that the one-way-in, one-way-out, just doesn't cut it.

Aqctually the county approved the plan along time ago, the original developer never built to the denisty he was allowed so the new developer, Stanley Martin, has been able to put in a lot more units, much higher density then the older sections.

As to the exit? A friend tells me the new Evergreen Elementary school is almost in the backyard of some of the homes in Forrest Farms (off Brown Rd).
If there were a path, it would take far less time to walk to the school then drive - crazy :howdy:
Oh, and the 30MPH is maddening slow BUT, there is a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic on the parkway (not to mention the deer crossings). I think that's what justifies the lower limit. Particularly in summer when kids are going to and from the pool.

glhs837

Power with Control
How many police are they supposed to dedicate to this? Isn't the state police's duty for traffic control?

See post# 3.

"'Tis the season,
to generate revenue.
LaLaLaLa, La La-Di-Dah."

Oh, and the 30MPH is maddening slow BUT, there is a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic on the parkway (not to mention the deer crossings). I think that's what justifies the lower limit. Particularly in summer when kids are going to and from the pool.

letme, no, not on that road, since it is a county road, not a State route. Chancellors Run, and GMR, are both state highways.

Crash, its not about revenue, its about citizen complaints, I think. Some speed enforcement is done for that, but I dont think thats the case here.

Bernie, thats the problem. There are two things in play here. One is the fact that the new sections are filled with folks that have a different lifestyle than the folks that have been there forever. The folks that have been there for a while are older, with more settled lives. The newcomers, they are younger, with more stuff going on, less time to waste.

The other is that that is not a sidewalk, which you know because you put it in quotes. Its a breakdown lane, and folks who act like its a sidewalk are putting themselves in a place they really shouldn't be. Its worked okay til now because of the low density and older residents. That has changed, and there does need to be a solution. IMHO, the HOA needs to work with the county to see about real sidewalks, maybe a couple of four way stops.

Expecting folks to 30 through there isnt feasible, long term, I dont think.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The other is that that is not a sidewalk, which you know because you put it in quotes. Its a breakdown lane, and folks who act like its a sidewalk are putting themselves in a place they really shouldn't be. Its worked okay til now because of the low density and older residents. That has changed, and there does need to be a solution. IMHO, the HOA needs to work with the county to see about real sidewalks, maybe a couple of four way stops.

Expecting folks to 30 through there isnt feasible, long term, I dont think.
It is and always has been marked as a pedestrian and bike lane - check the markings. (the little diamonds and the cross walks etc).

A shoulder would be maker with ONE solid white line. That is clearly a path that is aproximately 2 feet wide.
It's no different then the lanes marked on some of the roads on base.