Thanks Smeco

kk2187

No christmas card :kickrocks: but I did get a bill with an astronomical usage amount. They'll be getting a call before I pay it. :ohwell:

H

HazyCloud

I got a nice Christmas card and a notice of a raise in one of the rates in the same day!
Part of the rate increase may have had to do with those whiners in Huntingtown that pressured SMECO and the county to move the power lines into someone else's neighborhood. Did you think this was going to be done for free?

Last edited by a moderator:

ciwmj

No christmas card :kickrocks: but I did get a bill with an astronomical usage amount. They'll be getting a call before I pay it. :ohwell:

Remember that SMECO is now using contracted workers to read the meters , maybe we should expect anything.:wah:

Part of the rate increase may have had to do with those whiners in Huntingtown that pressured SMECO and the county to move the power lines into someone else's neighborhood. Did you think this was going to be done for free?

No. Did we all get to vote on this, must have missed it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Part of the rate increase may have had to do with those whiners in Huntingtown that pressured SMECO and the county to move the power lines, with the behemoth polls, into someone else's neighborhood. Did you think this was going to be done for free?

:fixed:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I got a nice Christmas card and a notice of a raise in one of the rates in the same day!

Look on the bright side. An occasional 5-10% rate hike is better than what the PSC did to Baltimore. They forced an artificially low rate, so that when they were finally allowed to raise rates they went up drastically.

88stringslouie

Maryland is one of the the most opressive states in the entire country.
Some of the highest property taxes, highest energy costs, most liberal, etc.
Do like I did, move the hell out.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict

MMmmmm, could be... However, its also THEIR responsibility to make sure their power lines are kept free of trees so they dont get hit if one falls... And who put those lines there in the first place? They did. Whos gonna pay for it in the form of excessive billing? We are. Time to look into solar power...

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict

Not true- I paid 2700.00 a year in taxes for a 1100 square foot house in Michigan. All they did for that money is plow the street twice a year and take the trash and repeatedly send me notices of taxes being raised. Rediculous. Trust me, its 10X better here.

Not true- I paid 2700.00 a year in taxes for a 1100 square foot house in Michigan. All they did for that money is plow the street twice a year and take the trash and repeatedly send me notices of taxes being raised. Rediculous. Trust me, its 10X better here.

Property in Michigan is generally assessed at 50% of its true cash value

In Maryland Real property is valued at its full cash value. Property-tax rates vary widely. No restrictions or limitations on property taxes are imposed by the state, meaning cities and counties can set tax rates at the level they deem necessary to fund government services

It varies widely by county also. I think I am only paying about 10% of my value.

But there are much better places than either of these two.

Hmmm.

Last edited:

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Property in Michigan is generally assessed at 50% of its true cash value

In Maryland Real property is valued at its full cash value. Property-tax rates vary widely. No restrictions or limitations on property taxes are imposed by the state, meaning cities and counties can set tax rates at the level they deem necessary to fund government services

It varies widely by county also. I think I am only paying about 10% of my value.

But there are much better places than either of these two.

Hmmm.
Youre right- because theres winter and summer taxes totalling 2700.00 every year (50% twice). Generally, once you own a home, taxes "shouldnt" go up any higher than 2-3%, im not sure what mine went up to, but I remember that I was upset enough to go to the assessors office over it. Part of the fault belongs to the bank that financed my loan and didnt account for the fact that the previous owners were in it for 30 years and once I bought it, it released the total taxable value of the home, so I got hammered. AND BAD.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt

The average price in MD is 15.06 cents per KWH. SMECO's rate is 12.64 in summer and 12.00 in winter.

The national average is 11.97 cents per KWH, so SMECO's 12.00 rate is pretty close to average.

Here's how the highest rank:

District of Columbia 13.99
Delaware 14.18
Maryland 15.06
Massachusetts 15.19
California 15.37
Rhode Island 15.69
Alaska 15.87
Maine 15.89
Vermont 16
New Hampshire 16.77
New Jersey 17.37
Connecticut 19.17
New York 19.98
Hawaii 28.02

MMDad

Lem Putt

The Property tax rate in Maryland is 27th in the nation. Pretty close to average, don't you think?

MMDad

Lem Putt

Michigan is 9th highest in the nation, so your experience is right on.