Gun Shots in CheaspeakeBeach??

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Duck hunters out on the bay -- same as it's been for the last month or more, ever since the various seasons opened -- nothing new. Don't panic, they won't hurt you. Season ends January 29th.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Duck hunters out on the bay -- same as it's been for the last month or more, ever since the various seasons opened -- nothing new. .

Yup. Sounds like WWIII around here some mornings. And a small flock of mallards set down in my cove for the first time that I've noticed this season..reminding me that I've fogotten to go get license and stamp yet again. Weird thing is..the huge flocks of geese that annually light in the cove have been absent this year. ?

I can and do walk right out the front door and shoot deer or waterfowl. I don't think any of my neighbor's ever gave it a second thought either.:killingme

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Yup. Sounds like WWIII around here some mornings. And a small flock of mallards set down in my cove for the first time that I've noticed this season..reminding me that I've fogotten to go get license and stamp yet again. Weird thing is..the huge flocks of geese that annually light in the cove have been absent this year. ?

I can and do walk right out the front door and shoot deer or waterfowl. I don't think any of my neighbor's ever gave it a second thought either.:killingme

Didn't someone get their shorts in a bundle a few years back because some duck hunters were near North Beach and their ducks that they have been feeding had been shot?

My understanding is that the hunters had been hunting in the area for years like 20+ and someone thought that if they feed the ducks they are off limits.

I guess someone got a fat duck for dinner, eh?

I love duck as a main course. Know any restaurants around here that have it on their menu? People ruin it with all the orange sauce on it too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Didn't someone get their shorts in a bundle a few years back because some duck hunters were near North Beach and their ducks that they have been feeding had been shot?

My understanding is that the hunters had been hunting in the area for years like 20+ and someone thought that if they feed the ducks they are off limits.

I love duck as a main course. Know any restaurants around here that have it on their menu? People ruin it with all the orange sauce on it too.

LOL. I had not heard the story but it sounds about right, considering how many citified folks have moved in the the tri-county area in the last 20 or so.:killingme

I have not seen duck on any menu except oriental around here in many years. I'm not partial to them ..except for mallards, that is, and we see fewer of them than any other here on the island (except for the permanent ones..and we leave them be. I have a nesting pair that lives right in my marsh/yard and has for years). Otherwise..I'm a goose guy myself. Goose breast baked on a bed of wild rice and mushrooms...mmmm good.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Yeah, and the funny thing was that the ducks being hunted were mostly bluebills, buffleheads and canvasbacks, not the popcorn and french fry mallards that people fed (which is illegal in North Beach anyway). One of the complainers had actually taken some mallard ducklings into her house and put them in the bath tub the previous summer.

Long term, the whole mess caused by only a handful of people complaining screwed up a re-drawing of the off-shore blind sites in Calvert that would have opened up a bunch more sites. Their new target is now the sea duckers that are 800 yards plus off shore.

And people wonder why I gave up my NB blind site 15 years ago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And people wonder why I gave up my NB blind site 15 years ago.

And why I won't let the annual license lapse on mine either. If I'm not mistaken, I have one of the last active reserve and near-shore fixed blind licenses in the immediate area where I live..where there used to be probably a dozen such.

The 'DC yuppies' that bought so many local homes do call the police or DNR when we're shooting..but when they show up all we do is talk hunting, and they might drink a cup of my coffee before they hit the road again..