Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Newsletter, 2 Jan 2011

cissp

Cyber Cop
Dear Friends of Marlow Heights 60s and 70s:

Well, another year has come and gone and it’s already 2011. Wasn’t it just yesterday that we welcomed the new millennium? Or for that matter, relatively speaking, wasn’t it just yesterday that we were in 5th grade at Sandymount Elementary, watching a football game at Crossland, sledding down Reeve’s Hill or St. Claire Drive, dancing for the first time at the Benjamin Stoddert Teen Club, going to the carnival at Marlow Heights Shopping Center, eating a Royal Burger or Pappy Parker fried chicken for the first time, working that first job in Iverson Mall, or getting our driver’s license? Man, where does the time go?

Anyway, there have been a lot of positive changes with your web site, Marlow Heights 60s and 70s. As many of you have probably noticed, the site has a new look, which should hopefully make it easier to view, navigate around, and find what you’re looking for. The changes also include finally adding all the photo galleries from the many Steak in a Sack get togethers, dances, and school tours. We also added a personal endorsement from Susan Gailey, the, “Ourisman Girl”, where you, “always get your way, at Ourisman Chevrolet”, and where Susan also said that she always gets her memories from Marlow Heights 60s and 70s. The Guest Book is going stronger than ever, and at this writing, there are 938 entries! Lots of great memories, but you’ll need to have some time on your side to go through all of them. Please also bear in mind that there is a Google search box specifically for the Guest Book, at the bottom of the site home page. There is also one for the site itself.

Several of you generously made donations to the upkeep of the web site, and I used that to good effect, as well as money made off of selling Marlow Heights 60s and 70s t-shirts, mugs, pens, and calendars. In the interest of disclosure, since we all own Marlow Heights 60s and 70s, I can tell you that this past year I paid over $3,000 in web consulting, hosting fees, and software licenses. In particular, Chris Weber from Layer 9 Security has done a phenomenal job with these new changes. But as I’ve said before and I will say again, Marlow Heights 60s and 70s will always be a free site. Thank you to everyone who has donated, as well as contributed photos, videos, and information about Marlow Heights 60s and 70s.

We also added videos to the site, in addition to the Ourisman one. If you go to the, “Do You Remember?”, pages, you’ll see we’ve put up videos from Hot Shoppes, Pappy Parker, and one of someone using a pair of Clackers (anyone remember how good Nikki McCawley was with a pair of ‘em, in the lunchroom at Benjamin Stoddert?). I also plan to put up one in the near future of one I produced, which will show everyone how to make a Mighty Mo/Royal Burger.

There were many activities outside of the web site which I sponsored. We held four get togethers at Steak in a Sack this year, with the one in March attended by a record 60 people, and covered by a newspaper reporter and photographer (which was followed by a story in the PG Gazette). Two Marlow Heights 60s and 70s dances were held, one in April and one in October. At the one in April we again served up Mighty Mo’s. So what’s in the future for Marlow Heights 60s and 70s? Read on, folks, and may all of you have a very happy and prosperous New Year, and I wish each of you good health and good fortune.

Next Steak in a Sack Get Together, December 11, 2010
The next get together at Steak in a Sack will be on March 26, 2011, from 2-5 p.m.

Next Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Dance
The next dance is tentatively scheduled to be October this year, based upon feedback I’ve received from many folks, who have stated that we should limit these dances to once a year. I’ve been scouting locations to hold the dance in Southern Maryland besides the Chesapeake Beach American Legion, and many of you have made some great suggestions. I am hiring my own professional caterer, and have them to fix EXACTLY what we want to serve at the dance. What would you like? If the people want Mighty Mo’s/Royal Burgers, onion rings, orange freezes, etc., that’s what we’ll serve, BUT fresh and hot by professionals. If you want something else, let me know, as the majority will rule. I have already set up secure, on-line ordering on my site, so that’s where everyone will make their ticket orders via PayPal. You can also RSVP via email for those who will want to pay at the door, or may contact me to make arrangements to send a personal check. Right now I’m shooting to keep the cost of the tickets $20 or below, whether purchased in advance or at the door, however, we do need RSVP’s so we can get a head count. Any other suggestions you’d like to offer for the next dance, I’m all ears. My desire is to create a fun, nostalgic evening for everyone, to, “Keep the memories alive”, and create new ones.

School Tours
Any of you that would like to tour your old schools, let me know and I’ll see what I can arrange. Informally, we were able to get inside Benjamin Stoddert twice this year, prior to regularly scheduled Steak in a Sack get togethers. For the high schools, we probably can’t just walk inside like that, but we should be able to make arrangements to have a school official chaperone our group. We did this in October 2009 at Potomac Senior High and can do it again. It just take coordination but also a minimum number of attendees (10 or more).

As always, until next time…

Keep the memories alive,

Chuck Fraley
MARLOW HEIGHTS 60's & 70's
Bringing you fun memories of Marlow Heights and vicinity of the 60s and 70s!

Attachments

• MHSC Sign at Night_New_small.jpg
    MHSC Sign at Night_New_small.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 74

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The neighborhood YOUTH became so bad they smashed out my front windows, and when I called the police about it, they came back to do more damage to my house - I had that house sold in 2 months of the window damage to the next prospective victim.

Only people who can't afford better would WANT to live there. It's a HOOD and I moved from a worse HOOD (renting) to live there - go think?

KNEW while I lived there I HAD to better my life, so went to college while working FT so I could AFFORD to live BETTER. Now I do ..... :yahoo:

Racist? Uh Hmm yeah maybe ...... not .... :smoochy:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
when I called the police about it...
I was expecting that sentence to end, "... they said, 'Windows?! You're calling us about your windows? Do you know how many murders and assaults we have to get through?!" :lmao:

I moved from a worse HOOD (renting) to live there - go think?
Really? Where?

Racist? Uh Hmm yeah maybe ...... not .... :smoochy:
I think racists are sexy... but you would do. :smoochy:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Marlow Heights and vicinity began a drastic change well before 1992. My web site focuses on the heyday of that area, of the 60s and 70s. Much as we hear how bad the area is now, it's actually better than it was in the 2002 timeframe in which you left, believe it or not.

"I used to own a house on St. Clair Drive for 10 years ...... 1992-2002 ... wasn't my favorite place to live. That's why I sold my house and moved - neighborhood was too rough for me"

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Unfortunately there are a lot of older folks who still live there. We took care of our elderly neighbor all the time. Sure do miss her and she misses us. It's sad when people spend so many years paying to own a home then have to live in fear and stay inside. That's why I left when I did. I didn't want to end up paying for that house in full and feeling STUCK there for my retirement years like so many others did.

I had a corner lot and made the school system move the bus stop (at my corner) due to damage the waiting school kids did to my landscaping. I spent thousands on landscaping and those hoodlums didn't care, ripped out my flowers and tore up my grass, took our recycling and smashed the glass in the road, just idiots for sure.

Marlow Heights and vicinity began a drastic change well before 1992. My web site focuses on the heyday of that area, of the 60s and 70s. Much as we hear how bad the area is now, it's actually better than it was in the 2002 timeframe in which you left, believe it or not.

"I used to own a house on St. Clair Drive for 10 years ...... 1992-2002 ... wasn't my favorite place to live. That's why I sold my house and moved - neighborhood was too rough for me"

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Oxon Hill near Eastover (close to SE DC line) know the area? - now that was a HOOD, but I was too young to be scared when I was there - as I got older I realized how bold I had been to walk to the store when I lived there.

Really? Where?

I think racists are sexy... but you would do. :smoochy:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What's going on? That area has white and black people that live there NOW (and also did when I lived there). I'm NOT black.

Hey Chuck,

Why don't you rename your web site the "White Trash and Pervert Web Site"? Same difference really.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The neighborhood YOUTH became so bad they smashed out my front windows, and when I called the police about it, they came back to do more damage to my house - I had that house sold in 2 months of the window damage to the next prospective victim.:

I can see the ad now...

Home for Sale: Recent improvements and upgrades including new front windows.

dave1959

She doesn't turn anyone down. Learn how to comprehend what you read.:killingme
I'm just trying to be helpful.:howdy:

I comprehend just fine, I was just wondering why you would post such a thing in a public forum. Sound like she pissed you off....

I grew up on the corner of St. Clair & Norcross. Walked to school...Sandymount and Benjamin Stoddert. The area was very nice back in the 'heyday' that Chuck describes. We moved out in 1976 when the segregation of the schools began and the bussing to schools started. My parents retired to Calvert, which is where I am today.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Most folks would have been impressed by the landscaping but the lady in this couple wasn't. She was more interested in the new kitchen. Of course the fact that we had replaced the roof, central a/c and the furnace also was a selling feature. I learned my lesson about over-improving when you're not sure you plan to stay .....

And Landscaping!:killingme

OldHillcrestGuy

I grew up on the corner of St. Clair & Norcross. Walked to school...Sandymount and Benjamin Stoddert. The area was very nice back in the 'heyday' that Chuck describes. We moved out in 1976 when the segregation of the schools began and the bussing to schools started. My parents retired to Calvert, which is where I am today.

I rode my bicycle to Stoddert everyday went right past that corner, I lived off 26th ave. oother side of Colebrook, heading toward Oxon Run., but that was way back in time, like 1961-63. My dad still lives in the house I grew up in, since 1952.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Have 2 available for sale .... one on left is slightly used and $15 and the one on the right is like new and is $25 ..... proceeds help the critter rescue.

:blushing:

My kids still need a new Cat Tree though.

Attachments

• cat_towers.jpg
    cat_towers.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 63