2011 Tax Assessments

foodforthought

Received our new tax assessment last week- WOW! Down close to $50,000 since 2008. What does this mean exactly? I know my property value is down along with everyone elses in this housing slump, but are my property taxes going to decrease this year? Or is it a phase-in like when your assessment increases?

There was an article in the Enterprise that reminded folks that if it is your primary residence then you may not have been charged taxes on the full amount of the previous assessment. If that was the case than though you will see a drop in your property tax bill, it may not be as drastic as the difference from the last assessment to the current assessment.

A decrease in the assessment doesn't phase in like an increase would, but because of the Homestead credit, the amount you pay may still rise even though the assessment goes down.

Here's an easy way to get a sense of whether your taxes will still go up or not. Look for a 'CHCR' listing in the left hand column of last year's tax bill. If there's no amount listed for it, or there's no listing for 'CHCR' at all, then your taxes should go down (if you're in St. Mary's County, by roughly $500). If the negative amount listed is less than about $425, then your taxes should go down. If the negative amount is much more than $425, then your taxes should go up. As a general proposition, the larger that credit, the more your taxes will go up this year, and the smaller that credit, the less your taxes will go up this year (or the more they'll go down).

Don't take that for gospel, but it should paint a roughly accurate picture (and it's based on your assesment going down $50,000 - it won't be accurate for others whose assessment went down by a different amount).

foodforthought

A decrease in the assessment doesn't phase in like an increase would, but because of the Homestead credit, the amount you pay may still rise even though the assessment goes down.

Here's an easy way to get a sense of whether your taxes will still go up or not. Look for a 'CHCR' listing in the left hand column of last year's tax bill. If there's no amount listed for it, or there's no listing for 'CHCR' at all, then your taxes should go down (if you're in St. Mary's County, by roughly $500). If the negative amount listed is less than about $425, then your taxes should go down. If the negative amount is much more than $425, then your taxes should go up. As a general proposition, the larger that credit, the more your taxes will go up this year, and the smaller that credit, the less your taxes will go up this year (or the more they'll go down).

Don't take that for gospel, but it should paint a roughly accurate picture (and it's based on your assesment going down $50,000 - it won't be accurate for others whose assessment went down by a different amount).

Good to know! There was a credit of $123.27, not much but I guess every little bit helps....so how much am I looking for them to drop? Around $500? That would be really nice.....

Good to know! There was a credit of $123.27, not much but I guess every little bit helps....so how much am I looking for them to drop? Around $500? That would be really nice.....

Are you in St. Mary's County? If so, around $350, depending on exactly how much your assessment dropped and the status of the state portion of the Homestead credit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I doubt my assessed value will drop but it darned sure better not increase either. Not that it really matters much; Nothing will affect my tax payment amount..the taxable assessed value is so far behind full assessed value that I get the maximum legal increase every darned year.

Annoying_Boy

Thanks for the great advice Vrai!

He didn't lose any money, please don't interrupt when the adults are talking.

Of course he didn't.

"I lost $80,000 of my home's value in three years, but I'm saving $365 a year in property taxes now."

How should I invest it?

:popcorn:

JOKER

Great Mills Rd
Of course he didn't.

"I lost $80,000 of my home's value in three years, but I'm saving $365 a year in property taxes now."

How should I invest it?

:popcorn:
Let's see..................Maybe you could buy a New
States Attorney Candidate next election.......:yahoo:

Annoying_Boy

Let's see..................Maybe you could buy a New
States Attorney Candidate next election.......:yahoo:

Or start a bar room charity with it's own PAC (political action committee) and get all the employees to fund it with deductions from their paychecks to try and sway local elections.

Oh wait, that didn't have very good results this past election, did it?

:killingme