• Yes, doesn’t matter gender

35 83.33%
  • Neither: Join the military

5 11.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helping your child/ren

Helping your child/ren

Would/Did you help your child starting out in the real world?
    Car, apartment, food, money, …?
    Does the amount of help matter if the child is male or female?

Quote Originally Posted by DoWhat View Post
    FABULOUS question for JPC!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Take my advice..give her $1,000 and a suitcase and change the locks.
    If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. - Winnie the Pooh

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men. - Emile Zola

I have a fabulously responsible daughter whom I've helped getting her start in life. She is an only child and I am in a position to be able to help. I don't mind as long as she is making good decisions and is appropriately grateful.
    "From the sublime to the ridiculous is just a step."

Quote Originally Posted by Heresathought1 View Post
    I have a fabulously responsible daughter whom I've helped getting her start in life. She is an only child and I am in a position to be able to help. I don't mind as long as she is making good decisions and is appropriately grateful.
    What if she was a son?

Provided said child is gainfully employed, and footing most of the bill, yes.

I would not pay for an apartment, but might help with first and last. Child has to be able to at least pay rent and utilities. I wouldn't mind helping out with groceries when things get tight. Child must be able to support own transportation, because there is usually public transportation if they can't afford a vehicle. If distance is reasonable, rides to and from work/shopping would not be out of the question. Gender would not be a factor.
    Je suis prest

I don't care how well off the parents are... the best gift a parent can give an adult child is to have faith in them that they can pull themselves up by their own boot straps. If you feel you need constantly provide support to them then you are belittling their growth potential and doubting their abilities.

What if she was a son?
    I don't think gender would matter. I belive men and women each have a responsibility to be self-sufficient in their own right so I would expect the same thing from my son as well as my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    I don't care how well off the parents are... the best gift a parent can give an adult child is to have faith in them that they can pull themselves up by their own boot straps. If you feel you need constantly provide support to them then you are belittling their growth potential and doubting their abilities.
    You are 100% correct. You don't want to help them to the degree that you would stunt their ability to make it on their own.

To me, gender doesn't matter. It's whether they are responsible or not. If you think they'll use the money well, then sure, chip in. If they'll more than likely waste it, then they can sink or swim on their own.
    From the land of pleasant living

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.