Only in Southern Maryland!!!

jedi2814

Residents Beware: Emu Running Loose in Calvert
1/5/2011

The Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Unit wishes to notify the public that an emu has been seen running loose recently in the Huntingtown area.

The Emu is similar to an Ostrich and can stand up to six and one half feet tall and run at speeds up to 30 MPH. The Sheriff’s Office began receiving calls for this loose bird around the Thanksgiving holiday and at that time, it was reported to be in the Dunkirk area. Animal Control Officers (ACOs) have responded to these calls and have either lost sight of the bird or it was already gone upon their arrival. At this time, the owner of the emu has not been identified.

If you spot the emu, please do not try to approach it as it uses its feet to defend itself. The feet have toenails that are like a knife and combined with its powerful legs, can cause severe injury.

Citizens are asked to contact the Animal Control Unit at (410) 535-1600 ext. 2526 or 911 if the emu is in the roadway

Residents Beware: Emu Running Loose in Calvert - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

:killingme:killingme:killingme

Justme2

Nobody owned up to it?? HMMMMMM

Anybody ever had emu before? Maybe stuffed,barbecued,Hmm.
Looks like a free meal to me right? Running wild that makes it free game.:whip:

Sparx

There was an emu in my back yard (north of Dunkirk) just before Thanksgiving. I got some pics of it but don't have them here to post. I wonder if it's the same one? We called the sheriff to get animal control and they ran around the neighborhood in their van for a few hours but it was still around the next day so I don't know what became of it after that.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
There was an emu in my back yard (north of Dunkirk) just before Thanksgiving. I got some pics of it but don't have them here to post. I wonder if it's the same one? We called the sheriff to get animal control and they ran around the neighborhood in their van for a few hours but it was still around the next day so I don't know what became of it after that.
I doubt it's the same one. Afterall they're have got to be dozens of them running around in Northern Calvert.

:sarcasm:

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
Emu meat is delicious. :drool:

And emu eggs are good as well. They are nice and fluffy. I just had one the other day. :yum:

Sparx

I doubt it's the same one. Afterall they're have got to be dozens of them running around in Northern Calvert.

:sarcasm:

I wonder because I was told someone in the area raises them and there were similar reports a couple of years ago around Chesapeake Beach.

Annoying_Boy

It's not as uncommon as you think. The Sheriff's Department shot one running loose in Chaptico several years ago.

It took them quite a few shots to finally hit it, unlike Mr. Dean's demise.

Always wondered who ate it?

:popcorn:

Mama_Mia08

I just saw this on the news. Figures we would make it on the news for an Emu. I had a friend growing up who had an Emu farm and they can be dangerous if they feel like they're in danger. I agree the eggs are yummy.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
At the risk of sounding like an animal nutty...was there any real reason to shoot the thing? why not tranq it and take it to a zoo or something? I know they can be dangerous if provoked...but really was the emu such a securityt hreat they had to shoot to kill? I'm so sad now :bawl:

Not nutty. I wondered that myself.