Buying a cow at the fair....

Goobergrl6

We just picked up our 1/4 cow but the guy who we got it from will not have any next year. We are thinking of bidding on the ones from the 4-H next year and going in with another family or 2. However we are wondering how much they typically go for at auction so we can start saving the money for it.

Lisa

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
We just picked up our 1/4 cow but the guy who we got it from will not have any next year. We are thinking of bidding on the ones from the 4-H next year and going in with another family or 2. However we are wondering how much they typically go for at auction so we can start saving the money for it.

Lisa

Not exactly sure but doesn't beef have to be pinned up and fed for a while before butchering?

BOP

Lisa

Somewhere, some poor cow is pulling itself around by its front legs, suspended in a wheelchair harness, wondering what happened to its rear hind quarters.

I think I read about that on Snopes...urban legends...cow goes to sleep after great sex, wakes up with missing hind quarters.

:popcorn:

TPD

the poor dad

Lisa

The prices can vary depending on whether it is an election year or not, but you may be able to pick one up for as little as $1.50 per pound. If you want the Grand Champion, expect to pay $4 per pound and up! Average weight is probably 1100-1200 pounds. There is still processing costs on top of this unless you are willing to shoot it yourself and age it for 2 weeks before butchering.

Goobergrl6

The prices can vary depending on whether it is an election year or not, but you may be able to pick one up for as little as $1.50 per pound. If you want the Grand Champion, expect to pay $4 per pound and up! Average weight is probably 1100-1200 pounds. There is still processing costs on top of this unless you are willing to shoot it yourself and age it for 2 weeks before butchering.

Thank you. Yeah I know what the butchering costs are so my only unknown was the average price for the cow at auction. This will help a ton.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You can purchase 1/4, 1/2 and whole cows from The Funny Farm in Callaway. I know a 1/4 is about $125... not sure about the other quantities.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Somewhere, some poor cow is pulling itself around by its front legs, suspended in a wheelchair harness, wondering what happened to its rear hind quarters.

I think I read about that on Snopes...urban legends...cow goes to sleep after great sex, wakes up with missing hind quarters.

:popcorn:

:cds: :killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You can purchase 1/4, 1/2 and whole cows from The Funny Farm in Callaway. I know a 1/4 is about $125... not sure about the other quantities.

What? $125?? I buy a whole Angus every year and am currently paying about $3.50/pound, delivered to the house in boxes, cut to my specs and vacuum bagged and frozen. Mine are hung to age, by my request, a minimum of 2 weeks prior to cutting.

$2876 for 825 pounds last year..1/4 of that would be $719...??

And $3.50/pound is a great price for well finished and completely processed Black Angus. The 4-H animals typically auction higher than market prices; sometimes much higher..I raised 4-H beef myself, onece upon a time. The whole idea is that area grocery markets and butcher shops bid up the better animals to reward the effort the kids put in to raising them.