Nut Case

GopherM

Darwin was right
I was headed to Solomons Island over the TJ bridge at around 3:30 PM today and met a jogger headed toward me. WTF is with that. Between the wind, cold and cars, what made this dork think it was a good idea to run across that bridge?

InsanelyBusy

Stupidity and inability to read signs that should be posted on each side that state not to walk or ride a bicycle across the bridge. \

There are no allocated walking areas to cross this bridge, nor are there any bicycle lanes for the bridge.

Plain stupidity. In planning of bridge, and of those who don't find a way to get a ride across this bridge if they don't have a vehicle.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Weather is not much of a deterrent for the dedicated. Last year, I saw a few people running in temps barely above 10°. This season, I have seen two people (or perhaps the same one twice) bicycling in temps right around freezing.

Case in point, a cousin - an athlete and Ironman - posted this earlier... :lmao:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I was headed to Solomons Island over the TJ bridge at around 3:30 PM today and met a jogger headed toward me. WTF is with that. Between the wind, cold and cars, what made this dork think it was a good idea to run across that bridge?

:deathwish:

BOP

Sorry. I was out of 10 ouncers.

:buddies:

Justme2

How many other's did not realize

TO call the police before somebody got killed. IT AGAINST THE LAW FOR A PEDESTRIAN TO BE ON THE BRIDGE. Maybe He Jumped??? I do not know of a bridge that pedestrians are allowed on. Unless it is that authorities have closed it for a walk or something.

FED_UP

He wanted to see if you were paying attention to the road and not texting :shrug:

GopherM

Darwin was right
TO call the police before somebody got killed. IT AGAINST THE LAW FOR A PEDESTRIAN TO BE ON THE BRIDGE. Maybe He Jumped??? I do not know of a bridge that pedestrians are allowed on. Unless it is that authorities have closed it for a walk or something.

He was already past the good jumping section and was headed downhill into St. Mary's. I have seen folks on bicycles crossing before as well. I can't imagine what it would be like sitting on the seat of a bike where my body was above the side barriers, knowing that a slight wobble could put me over the side.

I guess some people are as fearless as they are stupid.

belvak

Happy Camper

Actually, the signs say that it is "not recommended for bicyclists or pedestrians", or something along those lines. Not that they are not allowed. I read it as we were coming across this morning.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Actually, the signs say that it is "not recommended for bicyclists or pedestrians", or something along those lines. Not that they are not allowed. I read it as we were coming across this morning.

I guess that anyone with a strong death wish should go for it. Even though I was in my car, it still scared the carp out of me! I guess the jogger loved looking death in the eye with each approaching vehicle.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I can't imagine what it would be like sitting on the seat of a bike where my body was above the side barriers, knowing that a slight wobble could put me over the side.
Do you tend to 'wobble' a lot while you ride? :confused:

GopherM

Darwin was right
Do you tend to 'wobble' a lot while you ride? :confused:

Well, that's the side of the river where I attend my wine tastings...so maybe!

(Besides, I think there is a pretty good chance that one might get pretty unsteady on a bike if the winds are a blowin')

belvak

Happy Camper
I guess that anyone with a strong death wish should go for it. Even though I was in my car, it still scared the carp out of me! I guess the jogger loved looking death in the eye with each approaching vehicle.

The winds were kicking up pretty good this morning, which is why I even glanced at the sign. I remember thinking, "Who in their right mind would ride a bike or walk across here"!!!! Not that I haven't thought that on a clear, calm, day too!!!

thurley42

HY;FR

You don't know of a bridge that people are allowed on? Do you get out of the county much? There are a lot of bridges that have sidewalks and bike lanes on them...

Justme2

I have known people to get ticketed for same kind of stunts on that bridge.
Tried to ride a bike to work.
What ever run, bike ride, Jump, Take your pick!!!
Just let a Patrolman know it first wither it be State Trooper, Calvert or St Mary's Sheriff.

Here's two links http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Planning/Bicycle/Maps/StMa_.pdf
http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Planning/Bicycle/Maps/Calv_.pdf
Show what routes bicycles can take neither show crossing Thomas Johnson.
Both show going across RT231 which I CANNOT tell you anything about since I have never been across it

Last edited:

Justme2

You don't know of a bridge that people are allowed on? Do you get out of the county much? There are a lot of bridges that have sidewalks and bike lanes on them...

Name one???? Maybe the one at South river On MD 2???
The one on Solomons Island? Not on a Major highway.

Last edited: