Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone purchased new washing machine lately?

anyone purchased new washing machine lately?

I am looking for a new washer/dryer. I have heard some horror stories about front load washers, mainly they have leaked, flooded and mildew gets all over the front door very easily. My laundry room is on the UPPER level of my house so I don't want to take a chance with one leaking and coming thru my ceiling. Now that all the washers are energy efficient the top load ones seem to have 2 big complaints - they don't use enough water so clothes don't come clean and there is no center agitator so the spin cycle leaves clothes in complete knots and balls them to pieces wrinkling them and even damaging some. I just want a decent washer without so many complaints! Even the Maytag one that's ranked highest on consumer reports has these complaints about the wrinkling and not enough water. Has anyone purchased one of these newer washers lately that they are happy with or could suggest to me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
    I am looking for a new washer/dryer. I have heard some horror stories about front load washers, mainly they have leaked, flooded and mildew gets all over the front door very easily. My laundry room is on the UPPER level of my house so I don't want to take a chance with one leaking and coming thru my ceiling. Now that all the washers are energy efficient the top load ones seem to have 2 big complaints - they don't use enough water so clothes don't come clean and there is no center agitator so the spin cycle leaves clothes in complete knots and balls them to pieces wrinkling them and even damaging some. I just want a decent washer without so many complaints! Even the Maytag one that's ranked highest on consumer reports has these complaints about the wrinkling and not enough water. Has anyone purchased one of these newer washers lately that they are happy with or could suggest to me? Thanks.

We bought a new washer in August.

Lowe's Home Improvement: Appliances, Tools, Hardware, Paint, Flooring
    GE 4.3 Cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer (Color: White on White) ENERGY STAR®
    Item #: 92882 | Model #: GLWN5050MWS

It wouldn't allow me to post the link. I also got a fifty dollar rebate from smeco when I bought it. Check out their website and see if they still offer rebates for buying energy efficient appliances. I love it. There aren't too many reviews for it. My parents have had the front loading whirlpool washer and dryer combo. I wasn't to impressed with it and neither were they. So they just bought the kenmore one's from sears and haven't had any problems.
    Last edited by Lexib_; 01-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    You can't play someones game of "tug of war" if you choose not to hold on to the rope. Let go of the rope!

I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you don't like?”
    Jean Cocteau

Our broke right before Christmas. We got this kind and have had no complaints. Only difference is that we got the model with the glass top. Shop Whirlpool 5.0 Cu. Ft. Cabrio® Top Load Washer (Color: White) ENERGY STAR® at Lowes.com

Quote Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
    I would not want a front end load, if that thing starts leaking your screwed. Lows in California has front end loaders at slashed prices for minor dents, dings, or door repair. I saw one of those flat top ovens at slashed price also along with some tall fridges, extra info for those who might have interest. Its strange that only front end loaders were at slashed prices and not a sinlge top loader. I brought a used washing machine and it lasted about 10 years, you never know how long it will last used or brand new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RareBreed View Post
    Our broke right before Christmas. We got this kind and have had no complaints. Only difference is that we got the model with the glass top. Shop Whirlpool 5.0 Cu. Ft. Cabrio® Top Load Washer (Color: White) ENERGY STAR® at Lowes.com
    This is what I bought last year.

top loaders (some) are now the efficiency equivalent of front loaders. The Maytag Bravos series are great! We bought ours last summer after research and couldn't be happier. I too was leery of front loaders so we went with a high efficiency top loader. Very little water use and when the clothes are done they are damn near dry. We save a lot on dryer use!
    I demand rights for left-handed people!

Quote Originally Posted by limblips View Post
    top loaders (some) are now the efficiency equivalent of front loaders. The Maytag Bravos series are great! We bought ours last summer after research and couldn't be happier. I too was leery of front loaders so we went with a high efficiency top loader. Very little water use and when the clothes are done they are damn near dry. We save a lot on dryer use!
    Really? I have issues with mine. Like if I don't pick sheets mode when washing and do some sheets I open it to see what looks like a huge ballon looking at me. That's my bad tho'
    And the stuff comes out really crumpled up and not real spun very dry. I got it for the large capacity, but I don't think getting rid of the center aggitator thing was the way to accomplish that. Cleans well though.

I love my front loaders! I've had the washer about 8 months, and the dryer about 2 months. You do have to worry about mildew smells with front load washers, but after every wash I leave the door open to air out/dry. It doesn't leak, and that's an oooooold tale from the very first front loaders... I think they were Maytag.
    A reply from you to this message will not be possible. I can't have an adult conversation w/ you in this environment anyhow.

"You croc wearing, fake coach bag wearing fake tanner you. Take that." ~ Author unknown

"Love your haters - they're your biggest fans."

"You know you are absolutely f'ing amazing when people you don't even know hate you."

I have had my front loader for about 5 years now with no problems at all. Kenmore is the brand.
    Don't reject someone because they're different from you. Everyone is valuable to God, and they should be valuable to us.

Sears Kenmore. Won't go with any other brand in a washer, dryer, refer or freezer.
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.