anyone purchased new washing machine lately?

fjennell

I am looking for a new washer/dryer. I have heard some horror stories about front load washers, mainly they have leaked, flooded and mildew gets all over the front door very easily. My laundry room is on the UPPER level of my house so I don't want to take a chance with one leaking and coming thru my ceiling. Now that all the washers are energy efficient the top load ones seem to have 2 big complaints - they don't use enough water so clothes don't come clean and there is no center agitator so the spin cycle leaves clothes in complete knots and balls them to pieces wrinkling them and even damaging some. I just want a decent washer without so many complaints! Even the Maytag one that's ranked highest on consumer reports has these complaints about the wrinkling and not enough water. Has anyone purchased one of these newer washers lately that they are happy with or could suggest to me? Thanks.

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I am looking for a new washer/dryer. I have heard some horror stories about front load washers, mainly they have leaked, flooded and mildew gets all over the front door very easily. My laundry room is on the UPPER level of my house so I don't want to take a chance with one leaking and coming thru my ceiling. Now that all the washers are energy efficient the top load ones seem to have 2 big complaints - they don't use enough water so clothes don't come clean and there is no center agitator so the spin cycle leaves clothes in complete knots and balls them to pieces wrinkling them and even damaging some. I just want a decent washer without so many complaints! Even the Maytag one that's ranked highest on consumer reports has these complaints about the wrinkling and not enough water. Has anyone purchased one of these newer washers lately that they are happy with or could suggest to me? Thanks.

We bought a new washer in August.

Lowe's Home Improvement: Appliances, Tools, Hardware, Paint, Flooring
GE 4.3 Cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer (Color: White on White) ENERGY STAR®
Item #: 92882 | Model #: GLWN5050MWS

It wouldn't allow me to post the link. I also got a fifty dollar rebate from smeco when I bought it. Check out their website and see if they still offer rebates for buying energy efficient appliances. I love it. There aren't too many reviews for it. My parents have had the front loading whirlpool washer and dryer combo. I wasn't to impressed with it and neither were they. So they just bought the kenmore one's from sears and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:

FED_UP

I would not want a front end load, if that thing starts leaking your screwed. Lows in California has front end loaders at slashed prices for minor dents, dings, or door repair. I saw one of those flat top ovens at slashed price also along with some tall fridges, extra info for those who might have interest. Its strange that only front end loaders were at slashed prices and not a sinlge top loader. I brought a used washing machine and it lasted about 10 years, you never know how long it will last used or brand new.

limblips

top loaders (some) are now the efficiency equivalent of front loaders. The Maytag Bravos series are great! We bought ours last summer after research and couldn't be happier. I too was leery of front loaders so we went with a high efficiency top loader. Very little water use and when the clothes are done they are damn near dry. We save a lot on dryer use!

top loaders (some) are now the efficiency equivalent of front loaders. The Maytag Bravos series are great! We bought ours last summer after research and couldn't be happier. I too was leery of front loaders so we went with a high efficiency top loader. Very little water use and when the clothes are done they are damn near dry. We save a lot on dryer use!

Really? I have issues with mine. Like if I don't pick sheets mode when washing and do some sheets I open it to see what looks like a huge ballon looking at me. That's my bad tho'
And the stuff comes out really crumpled up and not real spun very dry. I got it for the large capacity, but I don't think getting rid of the center aggitator thing was the way to accomplish that. Cleans well though.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I love my front loaders! I've had the washer about 8 months, and the dryer about 2 months. You do have to worry about mildew smells with front load washers, but after every wash I leave the door open to air out/dry. It doesn't leak, and that's an oooooold tale from the very first front loaders... I think they were Maytag.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I have had my front loader for about 5 years now with no problems at all. Kenmore is the brand.

T

tito

Samsung front load washer and dryer purchased from Lowes about 7 months ago and I'm pretty happy with them. Wash cycles seem longer than most top loaders, though (normal cycle is 53mins, I believe).

I haven't had the issues with knotted clothes or clothes not coming clean. Like the previous poster said, I also leave the door on the washer open so it air dries.

fjennell

thanks for the replies so far - for you maytag top load users - do your clothes seem crumpled up bad when taking them out of the wash? Thanks.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Lowes yesterday near the light bulb section has a bunch of brand new washers and dryers lined up with minor defects or scratches for sale. Most were more than half off! Brand new! :coffee:

Samsung front load washer and dryer purchased from Lowes about 7 months ago and I'm pretty happy with them. Wash cycles seem longer than most top loaders, though (normal cycle is 53mins, I believe).

I haven't had the issues with knotted clothes or clothes not coming clean. Like the previous poster said, I also leave the door on the washer open so it air dries.

We have a Samsung also...had it for about a year. Great machine with no problems. We have saved quite a bit on our electricity because the clothes are almost dry when done spinning. Cut drying time in half at least!

p.s. We didn't waste the money on the stand. I built one to the same size using 3/4 inch plywood. Painted same color...works just fine for $200 less...

jenbengen

Watch it
We got a high efficiency top-loader two years ago. I gotta say I agree with some of the complaints. It does leave our clothes all wrapped up and twisted together. There have been a few times when the clothes in the middle of the machine are barely even wet when done washing. We got the Whirlpool Cabrio model washer and dryer. In fact, I don't care much for the dryer either (the moisture sensor that makes a time to dry to clothes is never right so I often have damp clothes still in the dryer when it turns off)

A friend of mine just returned to the "old" agitator style for the same basic reasons. I'm sure there are some good top loaders out there, but I wouldn't really recommend the one I got.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
My biggest complaint about front-loaders is you can't put wet towels or clothes in just to spin like you can with a top-loader. That and you can't open it after it starts washing.

MDChick

It doesn't leak, and that's an oooooold tale from the very first front loaders.

:yeahthat:

An old myth perpetuated by people with no personal experience and who don't know any better posting stuff like this on web forums:

fjennell said:
I have heard some horror stories about front load washers, mainly they have leaked, flooded and mildew gets all over the front door very easily.

Just leave the door open a crack when done to let it dry and it's fine.

MDChick

My biggest complaint about front-loaders is you can't put wet towels or clothes in just to spin like you can with a top-loader. That and you can't open it after it starts washing.

Mine has a spin dry button. You didn't compare features...

fjennell

:yeahthat:

An old myth perpetuated by people with no personal experience and who don't know any better posting stuff like this on web forums:

Just leave the door open a crack when done to let it dry and it's fine.

well no i don't have personal experience, that's why i am asking on here but a coworker of mine did have this happen to her and it didn't seem to be the only person that it ever happened to.