Thread: Free classes

Free classes

Good day, ladies and gentlemen.

I want to go back to school but my financial situation is a crisis so if anybody knows of any free classes, please send me a message or post a link or number.

My preferences are nursing, EMT training or firefighter training.

Thank you in advance.

Talking about classes I have been looking for free classes or crash training dealing with how to understand stocks and mutual funds etc, how do you know you got a good investment or could do better? I see a statment but what the heck does some of that mumbo jumbo mean. Surfing web explaining doesn't give you a very good understanding.

We're all mad here. hammishsqueak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    Good day, ladies and gentlemen.

I want to go back to school but my financial situation is a crisis so if anybody knows of any free classes, please send me a message or post a link or number.

My preferences are nursing, EMT training or firefighter training.

Thank you in advance.
    I am currently in grad school and I feel your pain (financially)! Have you already completed your FAFSA forms? Even if your income is not incredibly low, you will probably qualify for some type of aid/opportunity to take out loans. TIP: If you start at a community college like CSM, it can save you a nice chunk of change. I went there for two years prior to transferring to a four year college.

As for your question about free classes:

My little brother became an EMT several years ago. The rescue squad he joined as a teen sponsored his EMT-B classes and he recently completed his emergency vehicle operator class. Your time will be unpaid, but it is good experience, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career as a nurse or a paramedic. My brother is currently pursuing a career in materials engineering, but he loves working as an EMT! If you're interested, contact a local rescue squad and talk to someone about joining. Someone there should be willing to sit down with you and outline the process better than I can

Good luck!
    When life gives you lemons, add triple sec.

Two options I see for you.

Student loans unless you qualify for some type of a grant. They aren't that bad of a deal other than the debt you have to incur to use them. A good credit score isn't needed either.

Join a local volunteer fire/rescue department. When I was a member if you enrolled in fire/emt classes the department paid for them. I am almost 100% certain it is still this way.

5. 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Reason
    info provided

Join a fire dept or rescue squad, and the Firefighter or EMT classes are indeed still free.

Free Classes

These may not count for credits but they are great introductions and can help you understand exactly how interested you are. Not to mention its a free course and you're learning, for free.

OCW Consortium - Courses
    Academic Earth | Online Courses | Academic Video Lectures

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    Join a fire dept or rescue squad, and the Firefighter or EMT classes are indeed still free.
    and the rescue squads and fire departments need the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Is your google broke?

roman

I joined a local Fire & Rescue Department, and got my EMT-A (I'm dating myself), my CRT (Cardiac Rescue Technician), my Fire Fighter Certification, and then my Paramedic. It was all FREE, and was just the best expirience I ever had. Once you get the training, there are many different job opportunities, that pay a decent wage. It does take some time though, and you do have to Volunteer. But it's worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.