Soldier's inhumane imprisonment

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Editorial: Soldier's inhumane imprisonment

"Pfc. Bradley Manning, the 23-year-old Army intelligence analyst suspected of providing documents to WikiLeaks, can't reasonably complain that the military has him in custody. But the conditions under which he is being held at the Marine detention center at Quantico, Va., are so harsh as to suggest he is being punished for conduct of which he hasn't been convicted.

Manning has been charged with unlawfully downloading classified information and transmitting it "with reason to believe that the information could cause injury to the United States." He has been incarcerated at Quantico for five months and has yet to receive the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing."

Link to original source here.

Apart from the premise of the article, why is it taking so long to bring him to a courts martial?

Pete

Repete

"Pfc. Bradley Manning, the 23-year-old Army intelligence analyst suspected of providing documents to WikiLeaks, can't reasonably complain that the military has him in custody. But the conditions under which he is being held at the Marine detention center at Quantico, Va., are so harsh as to suggest he is being punished for conduct of which he hasn't been convicted.

Manning has been charged with unlawfully downloading classified information and transmitting it "with reason to believe that the information could cause injury to the United States." He has been incarcerated at Quantico for five months and has yet to receive the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing."

Apart from the premise of the article, why is it taking so long to bring him to a courts martial?

Manning needs to STFU and eat his bugs like a good boy.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

As far as not allowing him sheets or anything else he can use to hang himself, imagine if he was allowed these and did in fact hang himself. How long would it take to have all of the kooks saying that the government killed him to cover up the extent of what he did (or some other conspiracy)? Locking him up for 23 hours a day is to keep the other prisoners from killing him, and as for not being allowed to sleep from 5AM to 8PM this isn't any different than boot camp. All in all not quite up to the level of "human right abuses"

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
... so harsh as to suggest he is being punished for conduct of which he hasn't been convicted.
Have to agree. He should be convicted then thrown into a hole.

Even the Magnificent Nonno would be on board with the idea that once Manning's trial is done and the sentence given, he should accept it and pay his time. Right, Nonny?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Why does Manning need a defense fund?? Don't you know he gets his legal counsel free? Wonder where the fool's money of those that do donate goes?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Is this room approximately the same size as Private Manning's cell? Are you suggesting that he is hampered, not by his imprisonment, but my his lack of imagination? Maybe if the guards would give him some oversized sweats he could entertain himself more.

MMDad

Lem Putt

I see you are pretending that you know what you are talking about by writing "courts martial," but you fail as usual. That is the plural form. The singular is court martial.

Unless, of course, you think that he will have multiple courts martial despite constitutional prohibitions on double jeopardy.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
I see you are pretending that you know what you are talking about by writing "courts martial," but you fail as usual. That is the plural form. The singular is court martial. Unless, of course, you think that he will have multiple courts martial despite constitutional prohibitions on double jeopardy.

What a laugh. Bereft of anything substantial to say you've turned into a grammar critic. I'm impressed! Loughner, the AZ mass murderer is supposedly obsessed with grammar too, that should make you feel better. :killingme

In any case he can't have a "court" martial until he's been charged so I'll change my original comment to, why is that procedure is taking so long?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
In any case he can't have a "court" martial until he's been charged so I'll change my original comment to, why is that procedure is taking so long?
That is effectively an admission that you were more wrong than MMDad said you were. Good going. :yay:

edinsomd

Why does Manning need a defense fund?? Don't you know he gets his legal counsel free? Wonder where the fool's money of those that do donate goes?

He's at liberty to hire a civilian lawyer if he wants to and can afford one. The fact Nonno has a link to a fund for this POS is pretty telling.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Is this room approximately the same size as Private Manning's cell? Are you suggesting that he is hampered, not by his imprisonment, but my his lack of imagination? Maybe if the guards would give him some oversized sweats he could entertain himself more.

It's a reflection of every great Nonno post idea! :whistle: