Government funding - a fun thread

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pick two things, and only two, that you think our federal government should spend money on. Make your case if you want.

I pick the military and the space program.

Both are job creators, and both give us extensive technologies that are used in other aspects of our lives. Not to mention that the military keeps invaders at bay.

Pick two.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Using the space program to increase gerber daisy production and mandatory disbursement (and purchase from me and only me) into every room in every home to improve overall health and well being and the military building a dirt bike track that makes a loop through the south, up the pacific coast, across the Midwest and back where it started. At my front door. Replete with garages, gas, food, lodging, medical and other mission critical services, such as bars, every 30 miles or so. To promote overall health and well being.

:yahoo:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
To promote overall health and well being.
Headline: Larry Gude Supports Government-run Health Care :jameo:

Military (duh); if things had to be downsized and consolidated, NASA could become an arm of the military, since they are closely related anyway.

And environmental protection; for the simple fact that what happens in WA, for example, can affect the air and water quality in neighboring states and beyond.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Defense - since that's a role the constitution gives to the federal government.

Infastructure - those things that cross state lines, that are vital to our national economy and / or support the defense of the country.

Educaiton, historically, was and should be dealt with at the local level. As should most if not all "social" programs. Not for a lack of compassion, but because you can't know what the people of Cedar Rapids need from a desk in Washington DC. The needs of the people in Cedar Rapids are going to be different then those in Greensboro.

One could argue that using NASA to increase domestic R&D and techonlogy education promotes the common defense, that it provides technologies to defend the country and inceases the pool of educated people who can be used.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Space program? Absolutely not.
I have to agree with you on that one!
I feel that we should spend everything necessary on the two "M's": Military and Medical research. The space program has wasted wayyy too much money recently. I'm ok with sending satellites up for research, protection and communications but all those other missions are killing us!

Captain Kirk and Mr Spock have shown us that there is life in other galaxies and they DO speak English, so why waste our money trying to find more? :lmao: Besides, we're destroying our own world as it is. Why bring our ways to them and ruin theirs?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think the space program could reasonably be considered "infrastructure" (or military).

Actually, I think the way the space program is currently heading (contractors and civilians) is the best way. We are already seeing more innovativations coming out of that sector than we have previously from NASA. Also some of the guys I work with also work closely with NASA and agree that the civilian sector taking over space exploration is a positive thing.

glhs837

Power with Control
Military and NASA, good ones. Let me add, the way to do NASA is just like the car makers. don't mandate a method, just a solution set required. Get us XX by YY, and heres your budget. Failure means your all fired. Dont care if you hire pixies, just get it done.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
The Military and the Federal Judiciary.

:yeahthat:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

And I'll add general health/safety like OSHA, CDC, EPA, DOT, NHTSA, NTSB, FAA. Not the political tools they have become, but along the lines of promoting the general welfare.