How are the townhouses on pegg road?

ctinac

My husband an i are looking to possibly buy one for 225,000. does anyone live in one or know someone that does? how are they are you happy with your buy? an i already know that the "ghetto" is just around the corner.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
225 sound kind of steep for a townhouse in that area when you can get a stand alone house for close to that

foodcritic

My husband an i are looking to possibly buy one for 225,000. does anyone live in one or know someone that does? how are they are you happy with your buy? an i already know that the "ghetto" is just around the corner.

It backs up to Midway Dr. or Patuxent Homes. In essence DON"T DO IT. Not just ghetto/white whatever trash. Dont live south of California. IMHO. :buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

225 is a complete ripoff.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Everything off Pegg Rd. in my opinion is a bad idea.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Crime down here is terrible!! Run away! Run away!
:confused: Gee, Bob, you said not too long ago that you LOVE your area and, in fact, couldn't find anywhere else in the region you would rather be.

Of course, you and your wife are top executives of Fortune 500 companies, so I doubt someone looking in the ~$225K area could afford a place where you are.

glhs837

Power with Control
There are decent houses around in the 225K area. Not new like a townhouse, no spiffy finishings. But the upside you dont have to sweat living right next door to some of the more crime prevalent sections of the county. And you could find one built in the 60s or 70s, new enough that stuff like windows and doors are standard sizes. You values wont plummet once they let section 8 in.

See this gorgeous home? Built in 2007, 3,100 sq feet. 5 beds, 3 baths. 280K. Why? Because right behind those nice little streets with what should be, in todays market, 350K homes is a townhouse area that has a lot of section 8.

21342 Foxglove Ct, Lexington Park, MD 20653 MLS# sm7481615 - Zillow

This one is right down the road, but not attached to the same neighborhood. 200K gets you a new single family home.

47930 Piney Orchard St, Lexington Park, MD 20653 MLS# sm7405299 - Zillow

Heres one right next to the elementary off Chancellors Run, that neighborhood is good.

22275 Colmar Ln, Great Mills, MD 20634 MLS# sm7410226 - Zillow

My point is that there are choices in that range that keep you out of a not so good neighborhood.

ctinac

we arent looking for an older home tho. we like newer because the bills wont be sky high unlike an older house.

glhs837

Power with Control
I wouldn't assume the bill would be higher. Each house is different and should be judged that way. On the low end, and even on some high dollar stuff, builders use whats referred to as builder grade stuff, and cut corners where ever they can. And while it looks new, and shows well, after about 5 years, the quality of those materials starts to show. And not to your benefit. Floor joists are bare minimum code, sub floor isnt tongue and groove, adhesive isnt used, its nailed down. Drywall gets nailed instead of screwed, insulation is stuffed in any old way. These things all add up.

R

remaxrealtor

I wouldn't assume the bill would be higher. Each house is different and should be judged that way. On the low end, and even on some high dollar stuff, builders use whats referred to as builder grade stuff, and cut corners where ever they can. And while it looks new, and shows well, after about 5 years, the quality of those materials starts to show. And not to your benefit. Floor joists are bare minimum code, sub floor isnt tongue and groove, adhesive isnt used, its nailed down. Drywall gets nailed instead of screwed, insulation is stuffed in any old way. These things all add up.

Good post...Excellent points!

glhs837

Power with Control
I sure didnt earn much when I worked for 84 Lumber years back, but I certainly learned a lot. A fantastic training program they have. In six months, I went from basic knowledge to being able to do a whole house take off. Not to mention the side training you get from salespeople coming in and tradespeople explaining why they buy what they buy.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Everything off Pegg Rd. in my opinion is a bad idea.

Exactly. When people talk about "ghetto" Lexington Park, that's one of the spots they're referring to. While there are some decent areas in the Park, that's definitely not one of them.

glhs837

Power with Control
"ghetto", but lets keep in mind, its a relative thing folks. Given 225K, I certainly wouldn't choose to live there, but folks are not being robbed and mugged every day, at least not folks who are not involved in the seamier side of life, when it does happen, chances are good it happened there, but I lived in Patuxent Homes for three years around the turn of the century with no issues at all. Our "ghetto" is mostly made up of folks who are not the criminal element, but just folks who are not making much money.

awpitt

Main Streeter
we arent looking for an older home tho. we like newer because the bills wont be sky high unlike an older house.

That's not always true. That last link (Comar Ln) is right next to Greenview Knolls E.S. That house has a huge yard. Two driveways. Two garages. A lot of the older houses were built back when they still built quality into houses. My house was built in the early 60s and it'll probably outlast houses that were built 15 years ago.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus

The new ones right there are certainly nice however they are very close to at least three high crime neighborhoods... 225k for a TOWNHOUSE in that area? No thanks.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I sure didnt earn much when I worked for 84 Lumber years back, but I certainly learned a lot. A fantastic training program they have. In six months, I went from basic knowledge to being able to do a whole house take off. Not to mention the side training you get from salespeople coming in and tradespeople explaining why they buy what they buy.

Don't let the age of a home make your mind up. Maintenance and original builder quality is what you should look for. My 50+ y/o, 2500 sq ft home has had three oak trees bounce off the roof! Try that with a new home. Our electric bills average $170/mo and oil heat (hard to find in new construction) is about $900 a year.
Depends what you need. If you don't spend time at home, or have no inclination to do your own work get a townhouse, there are good ones in Wildewood at these prices. Pegg Road is not a great area. Look it up, lived there for four years.
BTW: Find a zip code map before you eliminate Lexington Park. You get the misconception that everything in the 20653 zip code is high crime garbage. Not quite, the zip codes are very convoluted. I believe they patterned them after the tax code.

glhs837

Power with Control
Zillow is great for seeing how the zip codes break down, on thier map it highlights the area covered by that zip. Lexingotn Park actually goes down south of Gate three to I think Wickshire on 235.

aw, did you say Colvar has TWO garages? Might have to swing by there:)