Remember that cook at Pearl Harbor?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Seems a Texas Congresswoman wants "Dorie" Miller to get the Medal of Honor. He's the cook who manned the 50 cal to defend the fleet at Pearl Harbor. Not so sure it's deserving of the MOH but it was brave and makes good movies.

But do you remember the Congresswomen? She's a real piece of work (who got re-elected despite her dishonesty and lies.) Not deserving of that reward, that's for sure.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Dorie Miller would have been awarded the MOH at that time if he had been white. It is highly documented at Pearl Harbor and in Navy history that that was the reason. Just never got a lot of publicity because as typical of most military folks, Miller didn't consider himself a hero and didn't think the Navy Cross he was awarded was a big deal, he was just doing the right thing. He certainly was a hero that day and does deserve to be recognized in history as such.

BOP

Seems a Texas Congresswoman wants "Dorie" Miller to get the Medal of Honor. He's the cook who manned the 50 cal to defend the fleet at Pearl Harbor. Not so sure it's deserving of the MOH but it was brave and makes good movies.

But do you remember the Congresswomen? She's a real piece of work (who got re-elected despite her dishonesty and lies.) Not deserving of that reward, that's for sure.

Racist.

BOP

Dorie Miller would have been awarded the MOH at that time if he had been white. It is highly documented at Pearl Harbor and in Navy history that that was the reason. Just never got a lot of publicity because as typical of most military folks, Miller didn't consider himself a hero and didn't think the Navy Cross he was awarded was a big deal, he was just doing the right thing. He certainly was a hero that day and does deserve to be recognized in history as such.

The Navy Cross is nothing to sneeze at. Nation's 3rd highest military personal award, if I recall correctly.

glhs837

Power with Control
The only aviation ordnanceman to receive the MOH, AOC John Finn, earned it during Pearl Harbor also. He also manned a 50 cal, during the attack on Kanehoe Bay, for two hours. The other difference is that he was wounded, kept on going, and after being ordered to get first aid, did so, then returned to supervise the arming of aircraft. Those few difference might have been enough. This isnt to take anything away from PO Milller, he did the things that needed done where he was, and did them bravely.

But that might explain why the difference in awards. Heres what Lt Finn (He stayed in and went officer:) did

His men were trying to fight back by using the machine guns mounted in the PBYs, either by firing from inside the flaming planes or by detaching the guns and mounting them on improvised stands. In 2009 Finn explained one of the first things he did was take control of a machine gun from his squadron's painter. "I said, 'Alex, let me take that gun'...knew that I had more experience firing a machine gun than a painter."[3][4]

Finn then found a movable platform used for gunnery training, attached the .50 caliber machine gun, and pushed the platform into an open area, from which he had a clear view of the attacking aircraft. He fired on the Japanese planes for the next two hours, even after being seriously wounded, until the attack had ended. In total, he received 21 distinct wounds, including a bullet through the foot and an injury which caused him to lose feeling in his left arm.[1]

"I got that gun and I started shooting at Jap planes," Finn said in a 2009 interview. "I was out there shooting the Jap planes and just every so often I was a target for some," he said, "in some cases, I could see [the Japanese pilots'] faces."[4]

Despite his wounds, he returned to the hangars later that day, after receiving medical treatment, and helped arm the surviving American planes.[1][3]

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
The Navy Cross is nothing to sneeze at. Nation's 3rd highest military personal award, if I recall correctly.

The Navy Cross is the highest medal that can be awarded by the United States Department of the Navy and the second highest award given for valor.

BOP

The Navy Cross is the highest medal that can be awarded by the United States Department of the Navy and the second highest award given for valor.

Thanks. Had to go to work this morning, couldn't look it up. Like I said, the Cross is nothing to sneeze at. They don't just hand those out.