"stand your ground" law in FL... works!

A pistol-packing jogger in Florida won't be charged for shooting and killing a teenager who attacked him during a midnight run.

Fla. jogger won't be charged for shooting teen - wtop.com

Prosecutors say Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision. The law, passed in 2005, gives people the right to use deadly force as long as they "reasonably believe" it is necessary to stop another person from hurting them.

:yay: :yay:

ImnoMensa

A pistol-packing jogger in Florida won't be charged for shooting and killing a teenager who attacked him during a midnight run.

Fla. jogger won't be charged for shooting teen - wtop.com

Prosecutors say Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision. The law, passed in 2005, gives people the right to use deadly force as long as they "reasonably believe" it is necessary to stop another person from hurting them.

:yay: :yay:

There is one kid who won't be punching anyone else in the face.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And some seeker of truth and justice (aka 'lawyer') is gonna have a field day with this;

Baker told police he reached for his gun when the teen punched him in the face. Baker has a concealed weapons permit.

The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene.

"Why did you feel you needed to murder this poor, misunderstood child by shooting him in the back when, clearly, he was no longer a threat to you?"

:tap:

philibusters

And some seeker of truth and justice (aka 'lawyer') is gonna have a field day with this;

"Why did you feel you needed to murder this poor, misunderstood child by shooting him in the back when, clearly, he was no longer a threat to you?"

In this case at least that will not happen--at least in a criminal case because the prosecutor isn't going forward. Maybe if there is a civil case. I am not sure how self-defense arguments in criminal cases apply to civil cases.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene."

Does this mean the teen was hit 12 times?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene."

Does this mean the teen was hit 12 times?

No. The victim shot at the assailant 8 times with four hits being scored variously on the chest, butt and back.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Well he was also shot in the chest and could have been turning as the next rounds were fired hitting him in the back and buttocks!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not a great score, but a good outcome.

Considering the circumstances, not bad; elevated heart rate to begin with (he was jogging), adrenaline dump from being attacked, at night. Add to that, I'd bet his training was probably not all it could be for those specifics :lol:

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Good guys 1
Bad guys 0

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Shooting him in the ass shows a level of vindictiveness that goes beyond defending himself.

I don't know why, but I always get a chuckle when they get shot in the ass.:killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well he was also shot in the chest and could have been turning as the next rounds were fired hitting him in the back and buttocks!

See, this is where I am going with this. I am TOTALLY happy with this outcome. This guy was ATTACKED. In my book, what happens to the bad guy in the next minute or so is just to effing bad including being shot in the back or an intentional kill shot. To me, you attack someone like this, you deserve to die. You just do.

Think about it; any number of potential long term damages for the victim from being struck, including death, blindness, broken bones, etc. And there is NO way to tell what the attacker would have done had he not been stopped.

You attack someone like this, you deserve to die. You've chosen to attack like an animal. You've given up ANY right to be seen as any more than an animal and I'd damn sure kill a bear that attacked me if I could. Hell, I could actually see maybe cutting the bear some slack; he don't know any better.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Shooting him in the ass shows a level of vindictiveness that goes beyond defending himself.

I don't know why, but I always get a chuckle when they get shot in the ass.:killingme

The whole thing makes me happy; a vicious predator is no longer a menace to society. The victim is owed a thank you from the community.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
See, this is where I am going with this. I am TOTALLY happy with this outcome. This guy was ATTACKED. In my book, what happens to the bad guy in the next minute or so is just to effing bad including being shot in the back or an intentional kill shot. To me, you attack someone like this, you deserve to die. You just do.

Think about it; any number of potential long term damages for the victim from being struck, including death, blindness, broken bones, etc. And there is NO way to tell what the attacker would have done had he not been stopped.

You attack someone like this, you deserve to die. You've chosen to attack like an animal. You've given up ANY right to be seen as any more than an animal and I'd damn sure kill a bear that attacked me if I could. Hell, I could actually see maybe cutting the bear some slack; he don't know any better.

I bet no 12 year old girl is slapping around an innocent commuter at THEIR metro stops..

Jes sayin.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
It was fortunate that there were witnesses as it must be difficult to prove that you really feared for your life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It was fortunate that there were witnesses as it must be difficult to prove that you really feared for your life.

If I attack you, unprovoked, why should you have to prove anything of the sort? Are you supposed to wait until I've hit you some certain amount of times, wait to see if I also have a weapon? Wait and see if I change my mind on how well you've cooperated with my attack as to whether maybe I'll just kill you so you can't testify against me?

On what basis is me attacking you, unprovoked, not all anyone needs to know to declare that you did the the right thing by killing me in return?

:shrug:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

The good thing is law takes into consideration INTENT, since he's dead you will never know. But lawyers can argue the thug only wanted to punch him in the face or his overall objective was to beat the jogger to death, if the victim felt the latter and feared for his life the courts could agree and say it was a justified shooting. Dead men tell no tales... :coffee:

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House

In Florida you can use deadly force to shoot someone who is going to do harm to another person even if you are not in danger.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
If I attack you, unprovoked, why should you have to prove anything of the sort? Are you supposed to wait until I've hit you some certain amount of times, wait to see if I also have a weapon? Wait and see if I change my mind on how well you've cooperated with my attack as to whether maybe I'll just kill you so you can't testify against me? On what basis is me attacking you, unprovoked, not all anyone needs to know to declare that you did the the right thing by killing me in return? :shrug:

OK. Next time you're in court after killing someone who smacked you, and you have no witness', tell the judge you don't have to prove anything. :killingme